• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked The Annual Off season Two-Gap Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a talent and match-up thing. Two-gap or One-gap, our LBs weren't covering any of UCLA's runningbacks on pass plays. And our LBs got out athleted by Braxton Miller.

I can't argue with that. 4.3 backs vs 4.7 backers one on one is tough. I'm refering to the pass rush that allows a quarterback five, six, seven seconds and more for the receivers to free themselves. That's asking a lot from the linebackers even if they are lighting quick.

I can't argue with that. 4.3 backs vs 4.7 backers one on one is tough. I'm refering to the pass rush that allows a quarterback five, six, seven seconds and more for the receivers to free themselves. That's asking a lot from the linebackers even if they are lighting quick.

The 2 gap isnt designed to give the QB that much time. Its the result of not having the guys to get in the back field. Which other than Martin last year, we didnt have that presence. I agree with ***, I think we see more players setting up shop in the backfield this year.

The 2 gap isnt designed to give the QB that much time. Its the result of not having the guys to get in the back field. Which other than Martin last year, we didnt have that presence. I agree with ***, I think we see more players setting up shop in the backfield this year.

I hope we find a way to attack the backfield. Like I asked in the original post. Do we need another Suh to make this work? A superman. Suh and Martin were able to get some heat from this scheme. It took Martin several seasons to master the Two-gap and be allowed to play on a consistent basis. This season we will see younger players play the scheme whether they have it mastered or not. It should be exciting at the very least. The coach speak has implied that they will be a bit more free with reads this year.

Im curious as to the X's and O's of that.

To your first paragraph, in regards to simply talent, that is exactly where we want to be. If we are putting 6 or 7 guys in the NFL we could run your "no gap" and probably win 11-12 games a year. The question is can we get there again? Bo's scheme works with the right players. But so does every coaches for the most part. Its no secret we lacked talent last season, and that we didnt have the horses to run the scheme to its potential. But what people dont get, or are failing to get is you cant overhaul your defense every single year. You can tweak it, adjust it but you cant just erase it and start over. If your senior class is lacking in talent you try to mold something to make it work, but you still have guys who are younger that need the reps, exposure and practice. If you are constantly coming in to fall camp with a brand new scheme for that particular year, youll never have success because no one will ever get it.

So true, they are all geniuses when they have great players...otherwise not so much.

Can you also do that here at HM and stop posting.

Your not the fan the huskers want. Your more like a texan, take in the flavor of the year!!!!

Last week I was accused of being a sunshine pumper. This week a Texas lover. I must be more abrasive than I realized. I'll give you guys a break and take a few days off. lol

Last week I was accused of being a sunshine pumper. This week a Texas lover. I must be more abrasive than I realized. I'll give you guys a break and take a few days off. lol

You're all good, Train. As I'm sure you know by now, you'll never be able to please everyone here (or anywhere, for that matter). And if an occasional dart gets thrown your way (it's happened to everyone with possible exception to mjohnson) just let it bounce off.

Don't worry about it Train, you seldom stray far from the sunshine path. But, the only ways you'll know you are right on target with your analysis around here is to be told you have an agenda, get called a bad fan, or be asked to leave the board.

Don't worry about it Train, you seldom stray far from the sunshine path. But, the only ways you'll know you are right on target with your analysis around here is to be told you have an agenda, get called a bad fan, or be asked to leave the board.

Isnt there a saying... misery loves company? Dont let him recruit you Train! Think of a happy place THINK OF A HAPPY PLACE!!

Last edited:

I can live with your agenda, more power to you. I just don't like you throwing it out there in every thread which leads to thread hijacks, just like this one.

Meanwhile back at the two gap thread:

I don’t claim to be the best football mind around here but it appears to me that Bo’s defense has its roots in the pro game and is very good at stopping pro style quarterbacks. However it is not designed to stop mobile quarterbacks and when the other personnel is fairly equal the only way we can win against a mobile quarterback is to outscore them in a shootout.

Bo’s answer to mobile quarterbacks seems to be to lay back and try to keep them in the pocket. In my opinion college football is a game of emotion and laying back is not the emotion you want in your defense.

Meanwhile back at the two gap thread:

I don’t claim to be the best football mind around here but it appears to me that Bo’s defense has its roots in the pro game and is very good at stopping pro style quarterbacks. However it is not designed to stop mobile quarterbacks and when the other personnel is fairly equal the only way we can win against a mobile quarterback is to outscore them in a shootout.

Bo’s answer to mobile quarterbacks seems to be to lay back and try to keep them in the pocket. In my opinion college football is a game of emotion and laying back is not the emotion you want in your defense.

Good post, and youre right. The one thing Ill add, everybody struggles with mobile QB's, not just us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back