• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked The 30th Anniversary of the 1984 Orange Bowl discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rozier left with 25 yards and 147 yards with 2:55 remaining in the third quarter with an ankle injury.

I knew someone who knew Don Criqui, the play-by-play announcer for that game, and I told them to tell him that his call and setup of the Jeff Smith TD was just awesome.
Don Criqui occasionally speaks on the local radio station around here (Lima, Ohio) as the station covers ND football. Criqui has been doing ND radio for the past several years. I think of that 1984 game every time I hear his voice.

Last edited:

I watched it alone as I was living in Frankfurt, Germany, but got the game on AFN (Armed Forces Network). The game didn't even start until 1 AM--after the game I took the dog on a long pre-dawn walk.

Not even close. IMO the greatest game was on Nov 25, 1971

1) This game started a Miami dynasty that won four NC's in nine years.
2) The game itself has everything: Drama, swings in momentum, gutty plays, adjustments to strategies, etc.
3) Everything was on the line until the very end with regards to an NC.
4) It revolutionized college football with Miami's concept of "team speed," especially on defense. One that would take Nebraska many years to adjust.
5) The texture of the day given the fact that Texas lost added to its drama.

If you want to call it the most significant game ever played, that's fine as well.

The "Game of the Century" was a regular season game, and to me ranks as the greatest regular season game ever played followed by this year's Alabama/Auburn game.

1) This game started a Miami dynasty that won four NC's in nine years.
2) The game itself has everything: Drama, swings in momentum, gutty plays, adjustments to strategies, etc.
3) Everything was on the line until the very end with regards to an NC.
4) It revolutionized college football with Miami's concept of "team speed," especially on defense. One that would take Nebraska many years to adjust.
5) The texture of the day given the fact that Texas lost added to its drama.

If you want to call it the most significant game ever played, that's fine as well.

The "Game of the Century" was a regular season game, and to me ranks as the greatest regular season game ever played followed by this year's Alabama/Auburn game.

The greatest game played was the 1971 NU-OU game, it was the national championship game, 1 vs. 2. NU's 1971 defense was pretty special. With probably as many NFL players as Miami.

I remember that last score putting us down by one, and we could have kicked the extra point to tie. but Osborne chose to not win the national championship with a tie and went for two. Am I getting old and making up memories?

Yes, you're correct. I didn't notice my error until now. This is what happens when you type at work. :Biggrin:

Most disappointing game of all my decades of following Husker football. Huskers didn't settle down and tend to business until it was too late. Gill's errant failed conversion pass destroyed me for weeks. All I remember of the game is that incomplete pass. It allowed the buffoonery Schnellenberger to bask in the limelight. Huskers were denigrated, mocked and laughed at by the Orange Bowl committee throughout the days leading up to the game, the OB committee turned the stadium over to the drunken Schnellenberger so he could fly helicopters in and land on the field, etc. Bitter disappointment to lose the game to those creeps.

In any event, I would love to hear your, personal experiences of the game, and how it translated into you being a fan in later years. No one cares in NJ!! They are just mad that the Giants finished 7-9.

I look forward to hearing from you.

8th grade. Went to the game. The OB was an absolute dump in a dumpy part of town. At halftime I went down to take a leak and after I finally made it into the restroom people were using the sinks! I decided to wait. Anyone remember "Mad Mike" and his drum? I remember him coming up into our section when all seemed lost (down 17 I think).

My 14-year-old daughter made this Bitstrip with me in it. I think you will get a kick out of it.

GregSteffiorange20140101.jpg

Being in NJ, my best friend was waiting for me in homeroom the day after the game with a "How 'bout those Huskers?" Another one of my friends started making the noise of a breeze and said "What's that, I think I hear a hurricane a coming!"

My 14-year-old daughter made this Bitstrip with me in it. I think you will get a kick out of it.

View attachment 5820

Being in NJ, my best friend was waiting for me in homeroom the day after the game with a "How 'bout those Huskers?" Another one of my friends started making the noise of a breeze and said "What's that, I think I hear a hurricane a coming!"

lol..nice...welcome

I was very disappointed that this game was not replayed on any of the sports channels such as ESPN Classic, or the Big 10 Network - yet they put the UCLA/Wisconsin Rose Bowl on.

It was a day of memories yesterday, for more than one reason. That's because it was also the anniversary of the Florida throttling in the Fiesta Bowl.

Looking forward to 2014.

Several years later Tom Osborne was asked what he would do if he was in that position today. He said that if it happened today, he would probably kick the point after and try to win it in overtime.

Several years later Tom Osborne was asked what he would do if he was in that position today. He said that if it happened today, he would probably kick the point after and try to win it in overtime.

Of course he would have, but if you read the lengthy, air-tight argument that I posted, it shows that even the greatest are human.

I agree. The rules now dictate that you play for overtime but there was still 48 seconds left to play and with Kosar's arm they might have gotten into FG range.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back