• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

The 3-pt Line changed to International Distance beginning with the 2019-20 season

Red Don

Tiger
Staff member
10 Year Member
NCAA rules committee proposes moving back 3-point line to international distance
In addition to the 3-point proposal, by far the biggest potential shift (which could be put into place as soon as the 2020-2021 season), the committee is also recommending a new shot clock reset "to enhance the pace of the game." Other proposals include the recommended use of instant replay during the last two minutes of the second half or the last two minutes of any overtime; the allowance for coaches to call live-ball timeouts in the last two minutes of the second half or of any overtime; and the recommendation that players be assessed a Flagrant 2 technical foul and ejection if they use derogatory language aimed at an opponent regarding race, ethnicity, religion, gender, sexual orientation or disability.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-b...-back-3-point-line-to-international-distance/

The committee's proposals will be considered and voted on by the Playing Rules Oversight Panel on June 5.The rules would go into effect for the 2019-2020 season in Division I.

I’d like to see the line moved back for sure. I don’t like the shot clock reduction but would maybe be for the quarter system.

A question for the hoops experts here.....Any thoughts on whether this is good, bad or indifferent in terms of whether it will impact Hoiberg's offensive scheme and productivity?

A question for the hoops experts here.....Any thoughts on whether this is good, bad or indifferent in terms of whether it will impact Hoiberg's offensive scheme and productivity?
When Hoiberg was at Iowa State, I didn't follow what he did there, so I cannot speak to his actual scheme. All I know is what has been discussed on the board. From strictly a basketball stand point, it shouldn't affect the guys who are good shooters to begin with. Plus, with the line being further from the basket, it will help spread the offense out more on the floor, so that could have unintentionally helped Miles a little. ;)

Quite right; it's just that the placement of HHS's post in the thread (that is, immediately following the report that some of the potential rule changes had been approved) could be taken by some that the change to Quarters was one of the changes that had also been approved. ;)

Last edited:

Analytics-wise, I believe Fred prefers any 3pt shot to a long 2 pt, so I’d say slight to somewhat negative. I’m not technically astute enough to evaluate any other impact.

When Hoiberg was at Iowa State, I didn't follow what he did there, so I cannot speak to his actual scheme. All I know is what has been discussed on the board. From strictly a basketball stand point, it shouldn't affect the guys who are good shooters to begin with. Plus, with the line being further from the basket, it will help spread the offense out more on the floor, so that could have unintentionally helped Miles a little. ;)
Hoiberg has a similar take...just doesn't mention Miles and his offense.

Fred Hoiberg in total favor of extending the 3-point line. “I think it’s very smart. It’s going to create a lot more space. ... take defenses further out, hopefully create some driving lanes. ... Players will adjust. They always do."

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back