• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Texas vs Nebraska game #2 (saturday 5-7-2011 14:05)

Well, what you call excuses, I call facts. If Anderson was fired tonight, I really wouldn't care. But my point all along is that I really doubt that hiring a new coach is going to change much. As I have said numerous times, and will say again, is that until Nebraska produces some top notch athletes, we will continue to struggle in sports like baseball and basketball. I know that DVH and Danny Nee have reached Legend status among many Nebraska fans. But the fact of the matter is that they benefitted greatly from homegrown talent. Yes, go ahead and hire a new coach, but don't hold your breath waiting for any championships in the near future.

How many Nebraska players did Van Horn have on his first CWS team? Really, I don't know.

Statistically it wasn't close, but it was on the scoreboard--and that is what determines who wins. We were either tied or within 1 run until the 9th inning. Yes, a key hit could have allowed us to steal the game. Texas has a lot more talent than we do. But the best team doesn't always win a game. I think we played hard, but we came up short again.

We had no hits for 6 innings....where are those clutch hits coming from with no one on base. Only the scoreboard was close.....our talent level is not far off from UT....they just have great pitching and their offense is pretty weak.

But keep believing that if you will....nothing will change with you...I just have to accept it.

Loy leads off the top of the 5th for Texas

2-0 count

called strike, 2-1

our pitchers continue to miss the strike zone

high, 3-1

fly out to Kalkowski in right

1 down

Shepherd is the next batter

outside, 1-0 count

called strike, 1-1

S/M, 1-1

HBP

runner at 1st with 2 down

3rd hit batter today for NU

Montalbano is the next batter

high and inside, 1-0 count

called strike, 1-1

inside, 2-1

high, 3-1

called strike, 3-2

fouled back

Farmer retires the runner on a ground ball

NU trails 10-2 after 4 1/2 innings

John Walkenhorst is the Homerun Inning Contest participant

Tolentino is leading off

single to left

leadoff runner at 1st

Well, what you call excuses, I call facts. If Anderson was fired tonight, I really wouldn't care. But my point all along is that I really doubt that hiring a new coach is going to change much. As I have said numerous times, and will say again, is that until Nebraska produces some top notch athletes, we will continue to struggle in sports like baseball and basketball. I know that DVH and Danny Nee have reached Legend status among many Nebraska fans. But the fact of the matter is that they benefitted greatly from homegrown talent. Yes, go ahead and hire a new coach, but don't hold your breath waiting for any championships in the near future.

it's not simply about winning championships. but it very well should be about avoiding the cellar. 10th, 9th, and currently 10th... last once again. there is NO excuse for that. KU, K-State, and Missouri -- if you want to separate north vs south -- have all been better than NU the past three seasons. no excuse. nebraska has the facilities and fan base that just about every team in the big 12 should be jealous of -- and definitely all of the other north teams -- definitely enough positves to attract players from outside of nebraska -- good players. i'm sorry -- but "lacking in-state" talent is not going to have you the worst team in the big 12 over a 3-year period -- not if you have a good coach (which means recruiting, player development, and in-game intelligent managing).

i don't "require" championships to enjoy my time as a husker baseball fan. but i do "require" avoiding being the absolute bottom of the barrell year in and year out. that's where the line is drawn for me -- and i'd bet the vast majority of NU fans feel the same.

Last edited:

Pritchard batting

2-0 count

shows bunt, but takes a high-inside pitch, 3-0 count

balk

runners at 2nd and 3rd with 0 outs

Garrido goes to the mound to talk to his pitcher and the 3rd base ump

called strike, 3-1

fouled back, 3-2

fly out to center

Tolentino tags from 3rd

NU trails 10-3 with 1 down