• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Tanner Farmer

This is among your stupidest quotes and you have had a lot of them. For instance had you read the actual article and not just the headline. You would have read that he did not lose weight this year and he just worked out with the team. Also there is 0 evidence that his working out with the wrestling team caused his injuries.
You make it hard to hold a civil conversation. Personal attack aside, there is not a single comment by me about TF's weight or wrestling situation this year, except that I hope it doesn't hurt him like it did last year.

If it is such a great thing, why aren't we sending all of our OL's to the mat? Why doesn't every team?

How many are good enough to wrestle at that level? How many want to put in that kind of work for a sport they won't be able to compete at the highest level in? Wrestling at the D1 level is insanely difficult. Practice isn't fun at all.

Didn't I read that he was 6-1 in open meets? I am on my phone so I really don't want to take the time to look it up. Or was that last year?

Last season.

Manning said at first that Farmer was “overweight and tight in the hips.” But by season’s end, he had cut his weight to 285 and posted a 5-1 record in open meets.

He didn’t compete in any wrestling meets this winter because he would have had to cut too much weight — from 310 to 285 — too quickly. But he tussled plenty in practice with Husker 285-pounders Collin and David Jensen.

C

This is the first time in my life that I have heard anyone imply that wrestling was a detriment to football players in general and specifically linemen. I have heard and read a multitude of coaches express the opposite (that it is an advantage) but never that wrestling "hurts" his potential for success or more astonishingly makes one more prone to injury. A quick search yields a lot of support for football players wrestling and they are listed at the end. I would like to see some reliable resource that supports the idea that wrestling hurts or is responsible for possible injury to football players.

http://apexwrestlingschool.com/why-football-players-should-wrestle/
http://www.teamusa.org/USA-Wrestlin.../How-Wrestling-Builds-Better-Football-Players
http://www.thesportster.com/football/top-20-nfl-players-who-are-former-wrestlers/

Last edited:
This is the first time in my life that I have heard anyone imply that wrestling was a detriment to football players in general and specifically linemen. I have heard and read a multitude of coaches express the opposite (that it is an advantage) but never that wrestling "hurts" his potential for success or more astonishingly makes one more prone to injury. A quick search yields a lot of support for football players wrestling and they are listed at the end. I would like to see some reliable resource that supports the idea that wrestling hurts or is responsible for possible injury to football players.

http://apexwrestlingschool.com/why-football-players-should-wrestle/
http://www.teamusa.org/USA-Wrestlin.../How-Wrestling-Builds-Better-Football-Players
http://www.thesportster.com/football/top-20-nfl-players-who-are-former-wrestlers/
Yes, people involved in wrestling think it helps football players, and for some it might. It is good to see that TF realized after last year, that he had to lose too much weight for wrestling and that made it difficult to get back into football shape. Evidently, he has avoided that problem this season and that is a good thing.

How many are good enough to wrestle at that level? How many want to put in that kind of work for a sport they won't be able to compete at the highest level in? Wrestling at the D1 level is insanely difficult. Practice isn't fun at all.
No wresting team needs a dozen or more OL heavy weights and no one is suggesting that. But, if it is so beneficial, why aren't football coaches having their OL's wrestle each other and train as wrestlers do? That is the question to be answered.

No wresting team needs a dozen or more OL heavy weights and no one is suggesting that. But, if it is so beneficial, why aren't football coaches having their OL's wrestle each other and train as wrestlers do? That is the question to be answered.

Because they aren't any good at it. Farmer is. He's been doing it most of his life. If you throw two linemen who have never wrestled before on a mat you're much more likely to have an injury. Farmer got the opportunity to go up against a nationally ranked heavyweight in wrestling practice every day. That's a lot of reps working on foot spacing, balance, body control, hand fighting, and leverage. I'm sure they also did a lot of work loosening up his hips and groin. That will actually help prevent injury.

Because they aren't any good at it. Farmer is. He's been doing it most of his life. If you throw two linemen who have never wrestled before on a mat you're much more likely to have an injury. Farmer got the opportunity to go up against a nationally ranked heavyweight in wrestling practice every day. That's a lot of reps working on foot spacing, balance, body control, hand fighting, and leverage. I'm sure they also did a lot of work loosening up his hips and groin. That will actually help prevent injury.
So only OL's who already have great wrestling skills can benefit from wrestling practices? LOL...that makes no sense at all. If it is so beneficial all of the OL's would benefit, not just those at the highest levels. Just as with any training, those at the lowest end should always reap the greatest benefit of improvement.

Last year Farmer lost nearly 40 pounds while getting in wrestling shape. During the season, he was injured twice, missing games. He did not play particularly well all year, even before the injuries. Naturally, he says that wrestling is great for him because he loves the sport and it seems to be the only way he can work hard enough to keep from getting fat. IMO, he lost too much weight and combine that with divided priorities (wrestling vs Football) and you get injuries and less than maximum play. It is hard to focus on 2 sports as well as school. The kid has lots of talent and, no doubt will be better this year, but that shouldn't be hard since last year didn't go all that well. BTW, if you guys want to believe the story that is being written about this, go right ahead, I just don't believe it.
Honestly, it's not your business what this kid chooses to do with his college career. This is all just speculation on your part.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back