• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Sympathy for the media devil

Nightman Cometh

Recruit
5 Year Member
I’m not a journalist but I do have a journalism degree and I have to say…

If a local journalist were to do a negative story about Scott Frost while he’s the sitting head coach at the University of Nebraska it would, at the very least, require two things.

First, more than one reputable source who is willing to go on record. Along with that, you’d want some corroborating evidence. I doubt the coaching staff punches a clock but if they did, you could try to acquire those through a public records request, for example.

Second, an employer/editor who is willing to publish the story. Good luck with either of those.

Let’s say somehow you get through both of those barriers you would not be hailed as the great savior of the football program. You would be a pariah; journalists are people too. There’s more to it than people realize.

I will say, I guarantee all of these journalists heard the rumors. If you’re working a beat or investigating a story you inevitably know more than you can actually report. That’s just how it is.

I realize this won’t change anyone’s mind; at best it may provide some context. I do find it funny having lurked on this board for 20 years how the people who lament the media also get butt hurt when they do a story they don’t like. But hey, most people are really bad at recognizing their own hypocrisy so you’re in good company.

I’m not a journalist but I do have a journalism degree and I have to say…

If a local journalist were to do a negative story about Scott Frost while he’s the sitting head coach at the University of Nebraska it would, at the very least, require two things.

First, more than one reputable source who is willing to go on record. Along with that, you’d want some corroborating evidence. I doubt the coaching staff punches a clock but if they did, you could try to acquire those through a public records request, for example.

Second, an employer/editor who is willing to publish the story. Good luck with either of those.

Let’s say somehow you get through both of those barriers you would not be hailed as the great savior of the football program. You would be a pariah; journalists are people too. There’s more to it than people realize.

I will say, I guarantee all of these journalists heard the rumors. If you’re working a beat or investigating a story you inevitably know more than you can actually report. That’s just how it is.

I realize this won’t change anyone’s mind; at best it may provide some context. I do find it funny having lurked on this board for 20 years how the people who lament the media also get butt hurt when they do a story they don’t like. But hey, most people are really bad at recognizing their own hypocrisy so you’re in good company.
I lament the demise of Nebraska Cornhusker football.
Maybe, Nebraska's history over my fandom has created my position.
I remember and appreciated the 70's, 80's, 90's.
I wasn't inclined to believe that Nebraska's consistency would last forever.
I damn sure appreciate our past, more now then then.
So the public shouldn't expect journalistic integrity, morality, unadulterated truth, or character from the people in the media?
I don't expect it, but it would be nice to live in a world where rose colored glasses are not required.
I do agree regarding the fate of whistleblowers.

I recognize that you want to keep your access and such a hard hitting story may not affect just your personal access but your employer's access ... having said that does anyone think that the OWH or LJS would be denied access if they did do such a thing?

I still believe what and how Severe came out after SF's termination was wrong ... if it truly was this bad then he has a responsibility to frame the story in such a way that conveys the message.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back