• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Sunday Tourney Thread (3/30/14)

By 20? lol… yea think? Couldn't resist that one. lol…….. Florida got schooled by GREAT DEFENSE which is exactly what beat MSU. Can the Huskies stay on great run? Time will tell but I'll bet no one is picking KY bye 20 Monday night…………. GO HUSKIES…………..

BTW……. we're talking about a SECOND year coach at UCONN……. not to shabby after schooling 2 future H of F coaches with Izzo and Donovan……….
I didn't mean anything personal against you when I predicted UConn would lose by 20. And if I could actually predict these things, I would have Warren Buffett's $1 billion. And if you could actually predict them, you'd have it to. So we're the same in that way. We're different in that you "lol....." more often than I do.

Last edited:

The bigger difference was UConn's red hot shooting against what was supposed to be one of the top two or three defenses in the nation. The Huskies shot 56% from the field (I doubt any team shot that well against Florida all season). That's tremendous against any team -- and will almost always get you a victory. Have to say -- UConn earned this win.
I agree they earned the win. I think their shooting percentage was more about getting great shots than just being hot, though. They made five of twelve threes, which is good but not outstanding. It's more that they found multiple weaknesses in Florida's D. In the second half they drove the middle and pulled up at about 8 feet to shoot a little open jumper (rather than taking it all the way to the rim and getting blocked), and the lob was also there for a handful of easy baskets.

EDIT: This quote is pretty incredible.
They had such an easy time scoring inside that they had only one basket outside the paint in the final 20 minutes, shooting 63.6 percent (14 of 22).
http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=400549976

Last edited:
One question this final brings to mind -- is there any other sport where teams this average through the regular season (like UK and UConn) end up winning a championship? This is what makes college basketball fun but also frustrating. The regular season starts to look pretty meaningless when the tournament turns out this way.

Last edited:
I didn't mean anything personal against you when I predicted UConn would lose by 20. And if I could actually predict these things, I would have Warren Buffett's $1 billion. And if you could actually predict them, you'd have it to. So we're the same in that way. We're different in that you "lol....." more often than I do.
I didn't take anything personal and hope I didn't present that impression! It's all in good fun and what sports is all about… wouldn't be much fun if everyone agreed on who's going to win. lol I've been a UCONN basketball fan (men and women) for many years. Worked security for countless games and got pretty close to program. I was very concerned what would happen when JC (great initials) retired. It sure looks like UCONN picked an up and coming coach in Kevin Ollie. He has a completely different style then JC but apparently it's very effective. JC ruled a lot with very intense some would say fear, while Ollie is a players coach. Perhaps his days in the NBA really helped him…

Bottom line is they far exceeded my expectations in the tourney. They were actually my bracket buster as I had MSU going to the final 4. Oh well…….. but I'm still extremely happy with the results. Win or lose tomorrow night UCONN will have had a great season…. but it sure would be nice to win it all. I also believe UCONN will continue to be a basketball power well into the future!

Last edited:

I didn't take anything personal and hope I didn't present that impression! It's all in good fun and what sports is all about… wouldn't be much fun if everyone agreed on who's going to win. lol I've been a UCONN basketball fan (men and women) for many years. Worked security for countless games and got pretty close to program. I was very concerned what would happen when JC (great initials) retired. It sure looks like UCONN picked an up and coming coach in Kevin Ollie. He has a completely different style then JC but apparently it's very effective. JC ruled a lot with very intense some would say fear, while Ollie is a players coach. Perhaps his days in the NBA really helped him…

Bottom line is they far exceeded my expectations in the tourney. They were actually my bracket buster as I had MSU going to the final 4. Oh well…….. but I'm still extremely happy with the results. Win or lose tomorrow night UCONN will have had a great season…. but it sure would be nice to win it all. I also believe UCONN will continue to be a basketball power well into the future!
I think you're definitely right about UConn being a power going forward. And going backward for that matter, from the box on that ESPN recap I linked to above this is their fourth finals appearance since 1999 (the most of any team in that span -- and they've won the previous three). And I don't know if it was coaching or players recognizing what was open, but UConn played ingenious offense in the second half vs. Florida.

I agree they earned the win. I think their shooting percentage was more about getting great shots than just being hot, though. They made five of twelve threes, which is good but not outstanding. It's more that they found multiple weaknesses in Florida's D. In the second half they drove the middle and pulled up at about 8 feet to shoot a little open jumper (rather than taking it all the way to the rim and getting blocked), and the lob was also there for a handful of easy baskets.

EDIT: This quote is pretty incredible.http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=400549976

Absolutely. Their game plan was superb. And they were a rare team that already knew how to beat Florida prior to yesterday. Certainly no fluke when you beat the same team twice in one season.

One question this final brings to mind -- is there any other sport where teams this average through the regular season (like UK and UConn) end up winning a championship? This is what makes college basketball fun but also frustrating. The regular season starts to look pretty meaningless when the tournament turns out this way.

It's likely a factor of the youth in college basketball today. The one-and-done types. They still oftentimes need to mature and develop team chemistry -- which means a rocky road and low points along the way. But the potential was always there. That's what separates college basketball from college football. For better or worse. It's mostly just different. This tournament has had enough perceived upsets and very close games, that you could play it over 20 times, and I highly doubt you'd have the same Final Four twice.

lol.....he likes lol, lol

No, because they play tough teams throughout the regular season unlike for the most part college football and one or two losses should never mean you don't have a chance to win it all. Neutral courts brings out the best teams.

Absolutely. Their game plan was superb. And they were a rare team that already knew how to beat Florida prior to yesterday. Certainly no fluke when you beat the same team twice in one season.
Yep, and Florida beat Kentucky three times this year, but Kentucky will be champs.

I'd say there's a better than 50/50 shot of that being the case.
They play like freshmen so much them bam they go on a roll and are tough inside.

Still laugh that my son played against Randle and Harrison twins when I coached his AAU team and Randle was already 6' at 11 and my son had to guard him as one of the post players and he was all of 5'1, lol...we thought we had a tall kid at that age 5'7 but Randle was tall and talented.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back