• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Success in the Pre-Modern Era

treeplanter

Recruit
10 Year Member
Between the inaugural Nebraska football season of 1890 and the Rose Bowl season of 1940 – over a span of 51 years – the Huskers recorded just 3 losing seasons and ranked as the 8th winningest program in the nation

{7th best over the 72 yrs stretching from the inaugural college football season of 1869 to 1940}

What accounts for Nebraska’s remarkable success in the early days of the game?

Certainly, we had some great players…

From Tackle, Vic Halligan, the 1st ever All American west of the Mississippi River to Fullback, Sam Francis, 1st runner up in the 2nd ever Heisman race – we benefited from such great players as Guy Chamberlin, Clarence Swanson, Ed Weir, George Sauer, and Lloyd Cardwell having come through Lincoln

Likewise, we had some very good coaches in those days

From the celebrated Fielding Yost, who spent one season at Nebraska, to Lawrence “Biff” Jones, who memorably led the Huskers to Pasadena – we enjoyed the services of such top notch coaches as Bummy Booth, Jumbo Stiehm, E.E. Bearg, Fred Dawson, and D.X. Bible

All this said, it is my personal belief that Nebraska’s early success was primarily attributable to the fan support that existed across the state, itself

Practically from the very beginning, Nebraska football enjoyed unparalleled fan support!

To wit:

Nebraska plays Notre Dame for the 1st time

An 11 year series is kicked off

{a series split right down the middle – 5 wins, 5 losses, 1 tie}

Of the 11 contests, 9 are played In Lincoln and this is at the behest of none other than Notre Dame and it’s legendary head coach, Knute Rockne

The Irish preferred playing in Lincoln as they would earn more money from their visitor’s share of the Nebraska gate than they would playing the Huskers, at home, in South Bend

Nebraska takes it’s 1st ever road trip outside of the Midwest

The Huskers travel to Portland for a game against Oregon St

A 3 day journey by train – 3 days there and 3 days back

No small undertaking in those days

And so many hundreds/thousands of Husker fans clamor to accompany the team that the university is forced to contract special coach cars to accommodate them all

Such things were unheard of
Truly, Nebraska football enjoyed {and continues to enjoy} the greatest fan support in the country!

It’s equally true, though, that fans do not make tackles, throw blocks, or score touchdowns

How, then, can I maintain that the fans were primarily responsible for Nebraska’s on field success?

Simple…

Most of the players who were making tackles, throwing blocks, and scoring touchdowns WERE the fans!

The vast, overwhelming majority of Nebraska football players throughout the pre-modern era were natives

They were kids who grew up in the state, dreaming of one day playing for the Cornhuskers

Given the intensity of the fan support, both then and now – it is my theory that the kids who grew up to find themselves wearing the scarlet and the cream simply cared more than their counterparts at other schools

I believe it meant more to the Nebraska kid to be a Cornhusker than it did to a Kansas kid to be a Jayhawk or Wildcat

I believe the Nebraska kid took more pride in being a Cornhusker than the Iowa kid did in being a Hawkeye or a Cyclone

And more pride means a willingness to work harder and make greater sacrifices in order to succeed

At any rate, this is my theory

How, then, do you think it relates, if at all, to now?

Last edited:

Between the inaugural Nebraska football season of 1890 and the Rose Bowl season of 1940 – over a span of 51 years – the Huskers recorded just 3 losing seasons and ranked as the 8th winningest program in the nation

{7th best over the 72 yrs stretching from the inaugural college football season of 1869 to 1940}

What accounts for Nebraska’s remarkable success in the early days of the game?

Certainly, we had some great players…

From Tackle, Vic Halligan, the 1st ever All American west of the Mississippi River to Fullback, Sam Francis, 1st runner up in the 2nd ever Heisman race – we benefited from such great players as Guy Chamberlin, Clarence Swanson, Ed Weir, George Sauer, and Lloyd Cardwell having come through Lincoln

Likewise, we had some very good coaches in those days

From the celebrated Fielding Yost, who spent one season at Nebraska, to Lawrence “Biff” Jones, who memorably led the Huskers to Pasadena – we enjoyed the services of such top notch coaches as Bummy Booth, Jumbo Stiehm, E.E. Bearg, Fred Dawson, and D.X. Bible

All this said, it is my personal belief that Nebraska’s early success was primarily attributable to the fan support that existed across the state, itself

Practically from the very beginning, Nebraska football enjoyed unparalleled fan support!

To wit:

Nebraska plays Notre Dame for the 1st time

An 11 year series is kicked off

{a series split right down the middle – 5 wins, 5 losses, 1 tie}

Of the 11 contests, 9 are played In Lincoln and this is at the behest of none other than Notre Dame and it’s legendary head coach, Knute Rockne

The Irish preferred playing in Lincoln as they would earn more money from their visitor’s share of the Nebraska gate than they would playing the Huskers, at home, in South Bend

And so many hundreds/thousands of Husker fans clamor to accompany the team that the university is forced to contract special coach cars to accommodate them all

Such things were unheard of
Truly, Nebraska football enjoyed {and continues to enjoy} the greatest fan support in the country!

It’s equally true, though, that fans do not make tackles, throw blocks, or score touchdowns

How, then, can I maintain that the fans were primarily responsible for Nebraska’s on field success?

Simple…

Most of the players who were making tackles, throwing blocks, and scoring touchdowns WERE the fans!

The vast, overwhelming majority of Nebraska football players throughout the pre-modern era were natives

They were kids who grew up in the state, dreaming of one day playing for the Cornhuskers

Given the intensity of the fan support, both then and now – it is my theory that the kids who grew up to find themselves wearing the scarlet and the cream simply cared more than their counterparts at other schools

I believe it meant more to the Nebraska kid to be a Cornhusker than it did to a Kansas kid to be a Jayhawk or Wildcat

I believe the Nebraska kid took more pride in being a Cornhusker than the Iowa kid did in being a Hawkeye or a Cyclone

And more pride means a willingness to work harder and make greater sacrifices in order to succeed

At any rate, this is my theory

The reduction of the walkon class size,losing in state players.
I think it was SF who said,if one out of ten walkons make contributions on the field,the team would get much better and pay for itself

How does it relate?

To the fan in 2021, it's a cool piece of history. Without those wins, we're probably not a Top 10 team in wins, titles, Heismans, etc.

To the recruit it means nothing. These 18 year old kids were born after Nebraska stopped appearing in big bowls. In fact, by the time they got old enough to know anything about football, we'd already entered the Saban era at Alabama. All they've known is Tide and Dabo at Clemson. They're to young to even remember Pete Carroll at USC.

A few might be "old soul" types who look back at Nebraska but that's the rare exception. And they're usually the kids of our greats, like the Steinkuhlers or Shevon Shields playing for the basketball team.

That was Muke Riley's 1st season coaching the Beavers!

Great thread and I think many answers to this question. It used to be only a handful of programs where even on television. Nebraska and Oklahoma where two of these programs. For as much as people like saying we didn’t get the top recruiting classes we still got some of the nation’s top skill players. Turner Gill was being recruited by everyone as was Frazier years later. The strength and conditioning program was light years ahead of everyone but obviously isn’t anymore. I think Bo showed it can still be done at Nebraska. Maybe not like it was twenty five years ago but it’s possible. As long as Nebraska has the fan support and money it will remain relevant. We just need to win some games. If they can start winning the recruits will follow. Something that kills all programs outside of four or five is that kids know only four or five can truly compete for a championship. Why would anyone outside the SEC really follow it closely anymore. Most years the BIG will have Ohio St. while the west coast is completely absent from most playoffs. It’s becoming a very regional sport.

Without those wins, we're probably not a Top 10 team in wins, titles, Heismans, etc.
Wins ... Yes.

National titles and Heisman Trophies ... No, unless you are considering the 1970s part of the pre-modern era which will really make me feel like a curmudgeon or neanderthal. :)

Really nice historical summary, treeplanter.

To me, this means that there have been only two periods in the 130 years or so of Nebraska football that have not been extremely successful. The 40's and 50's and the 00's and 10's (in the 21st century).

It took the right head coach in 1962 to get Nebraska back to what it was historically....a very successful college football program. I don't see any reason why that formula would be any different today. It just takes the right head coach. I don't buy the arguments that college football has changed so much and that means that Nebraska can never be successful again. The national pundits were saying exactly the same thing about Notre Dame before Brian Kelly was hired.

A lot of people argue that we need to stop changing head coaches so frequently, as we have now had 5 different head coaches in the 24 years since Tom Osborne retired. In the 20 years before Bob Devaney was hired, Nebraska had 8 different head coaches. It is a good thing the administration didn't just give up looking for the right head coach.

Wins ... Yes.

National titles and Heisman Trophies ... No, unless you are considering the 1970s part of the pre-modern era which will really make me feel like a curmudgeon or neanderthal. :)

I was born in 1984.

I'm a geezer compared to the kids we're trying to sign.

These kids know nothing but Alabama, Clemson and Ohio State. Their dads tell them the old timey stories of when Chip Kelly invented the hurry-up offense at Oregon and Mike Leach made the Air Raid work in Lubbock.

I was born in 1984.

I'm a geezer compared to the kids we're trying to sign.
My goodness Ducktown, if you are a geezer ... I'm not sure how to classify myself then.

I think references to Mike Leach or Chip Kelly don't even get close to the formative history and evolution of spread and tempo offenses (queue up @Middle-aged_Ball_Coach) that predates 2000s and 1990s and that seems to be where your response is taking the start of this 'modern era.' Talking history and evolution, Don Coryell immediately comes to mind from 1970s with what he did with QB Dan Fouts & the Chargers.

But, I get your point though, teenagers probably think their late 30s to early 40s age parents came out of the 'ice age.' No real historical perspectives in a lot of facets of our society today.

My goodness Ducktown, if you are a geezer ... I'm not sure how to classify myself then.

I think references to Mike Leach or Chip Kelly don't even get close to the formative history and evolution of spread and tempo offenses (queue up @Middle-aged_Ball_Coach) that predates 2000s and 1990s and that seems to be where your response is taking the start of this 'modern era.' Talking history and evolution, Don Coryell immediately comes to mind from 1970s with what he did with QB Dan Fouts & the Chargers.

But, I get your point though, teenagers probably think their late 30s to early 40s age parents came out of the 'ice age.' No real historical perspectives in a lot of facets of our society today.
Yup. I grew up in the 90s watching Tommie Frazier run roughshod over everyone, but kids today have no idea about that era.

Yup. I grew up in the 90s watching Tommie Frazier run roughshod over everyone, but kids today have no idea about that era.
And, I grew up with nearly 40 years of 9 win or better football. This 21st Century Husker program has been a bitter pill to swallow at times.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back