• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Storied programs expected to struggle (homepage)

Patience is what I'm stressing from my vantage point. I feel good about the direction of the program. The current level of recruiting is the best thing we've had going for us in several years. But it's a 4-5 year process, not 2-3.

Given we're one of the least experienced teams in the nation going into 2017 and given the daunting schedule of 2018, 8-4ish type of seasons are likely in store. But, if this staff can have an entire roster of guys they brought in from top 25 classes plus some quality walk-ons, good things are around the corner.

Patience is what I'm stressing from my vantage point. I feel good about the direction of the program. The current level of recruiting is the best thing we've had going for us in several years. But it's a 4-5 year process, not 2-3.

Given we're one of the least experienced teams in the nation going into 2017 and given the daunting schedule of 2018, 8-4ish type of seasons are likely in store. But, if this staff can have an entire roster of guys they brought in from top 25 classes plus some quality walk-ons, good things are around the corner.
That seems to be the consensus around here, but I think it likely that we will show considerable improvement THIS year and have a good shot of winning the BIG next year. I think the team is very young, but I see great potential that will be on the field in nearly every spot that folks identify as weak spots. For example, some say we are weak/thin at WR/TE...I believe we may have the most talented group in school history. There is no reason that young players cannot excel in skill positions, it happens EVERYWHERE.

That seems to be the consensus around here, but I think it likely that we will show considerable improvement THIS year and have a good shot of winning the BIG next year. I think the team is very young, but I see great potential that will be on the field in nearly every spot that folks identify as weak spots. For example, some say we are weak/thin at WR/TE...I believe we may have the most talented group in school history. There is no reason that young players cannot excel in skill positions, it happens EVERYWHERE.

I agree with you, but it is rare that it happens at every position with young players like we are currently asking. I tend to be optimistic (unrealistic?) when discussing Husker football, but I would not be totally surprised by 7-6 record this year followed by a 10-2 in 2018 and then who knows, maybe 12-0 in 2019 given current recruiting trends. ;o)

Penn St, Oregon, Wisconsin, OSU may all be favored at kick. That's 8-4 before we talk about Northwestern and Iowa. NU could be underdogs in 5-6 games, who knows.
The games I do not get people predicting to beat us are Oregon and Minny. It is always fashionable to pick teams with new coaches as the coaches were usually successful elsewhere. However as we have seen. Year one is always a crap shoot.

Nebraska is going to have more talent than any team it plays, less Ohio State. The only others close are Penn State and Oregon. I'd think anything less than 8 wins would be hugely disappointing. It would also call back into question (again), whether these guys can coach or not. At some point, you've gotta start rolling that ball forward. 2018 is what I'd deem, on the surface, as one of the nations toughest schedules. Can't get it done in 17' will lead to massive question marks for 18'.

Nebraska is going to have more talent than any team it plays, less Ohio State. The only others close are Penn State and Oregon. I'd think anything less than 8 wins would be hugely disappointing. It would also call back into question (again), whether these guys can coach or not. At some point, you've gotta start rolling that ball forward. 2018 is what I'd deem, on the surface, as one of the nations toughest schedules. Can't get it done in 17' will lead to massive question marks for 18'.
Pretty reasonable statement.

My talent, your talent. I've never bought the "we have so much talent" argument. While I don't wander around other team's sites, I suspect they have a lot of that in their posts too. So that argument is heavily discounted by me in my amateurish way. What I focus on is the fact that our QB play should be dramatically different this year from the past many years, and in the game as now played, that is heavy rocks. To me that says no more (or many fewer) incomprehensible interceptions or wild plays at QB. That alone will be comforting to me and I think leads to more Ws. As for defense, I'm buying in on a rapid fix by the new guys punctuated by an additional year in place by our DL coach. So BR is just selling, not really analyzing or judging.

Maybe,but its been so long since we were a "storied program" they can take us off the list.
LOL this is actually pretty funny because once you are storied you will pretty much always be storied.
https://www.google.com/search?q=sto...7j69i60j0l4.7328j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
celebrated in or associated with stories or legends.
The fact that things like the game of the century, and going for two against Miami exist and will always be a part of history. Thus we will always be storied. Just as Rutgers will always be storied as the birth place of college football.

For example, some say we are weak/thin at WR/TE...I believe we may have the most talented group in school history. There is no reason that young players cannot excel in skill positions, it happens EVERYWHERE.

I tend to agree. I thought our tight ends showed a lot of promise in the spring game. We have some athletic guys at that positon. WR shows a lot of promise as well, but they need to become the good hands people. Lee will put the ball where it needs to be. We also have a freshmen WR sensation coming this fall. Its exciting. Our RBs could become menacing receivers as well.

As a longtime I-bone admirer, I never thought I would get excited about NU passing the ball, but Lee has changed my mind. We got us a true NFL prospect playing QB now. Its gonna be fun to watch. I expect Lee to shred some defenses this fall (assuming our receivers can get open). Just hope we can move the ball well inside the 20.

:Koolaid2: "I approve of this message. I have found a new friend!"

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back