• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Stoops Done???

Status
Not open for further replies.

There's nothing concrete about this article. Isn't it just Sipple theorizing? I don't think we're going to get Stoops, but there also doesn't seem to be anything solid here with A&M.

My biggest concern and question is this: Why can't NU compete with these other schools in terms of paying their assistants or going after big name coordinators? Is it a philosophical or stubborn stance they're taking, or are they just more cash strapped than these other schools?

If there's anyone out there who's not crazy about the escalation of coaches salaries over the last 10-15 years, it's me. I think it's preposterous that any college head coach makes way more money than the university president (yes, I'm aware that their product brings in a lot of money). However, if NU wants to regain it's rightful spot amongst the elite they're going to have to play the game the way it's being played these days. Otherwise, we'll just be another team who has to rely on 'dream seasons' and for everything to break just right to even sniff the Top Ten final poll. Knowing NU fans I'm willing to bet that's not the desired scenario.

Last edited:
It is what it is. If you want the best, you have to pay a competitive salary.

+1 .................With the additional seats coming to Memorial Stadium in 2013, I think Nebraska can afford to pay top coordinator wages.

So, let's go get the people it takes to continue to build a top notch football program! If Stoops is the man, so be it. If not, then Bo will get the right man for the job.

GBR!

My biggest concern and question is this: Why can't NU compete with these other schools in terms of paying their assistants or going after big name coordinators? Is it a philosophical or stubborn stance they're taking, or are they just more cash strapped than these other schools?

Nice theory... do you have any evidence that we are not competing with top schools for assistants?

Our HC pay is among the top 15 in coaching. I'm pretty sure our assistants are up there, too.

As far as going after "big name" coordinators, who should we be looking at? I'm pretty dang happy with Carl and Beck (and Bo for that matter). The rest of the assistants are about fit. We get the right fit and keep guys here, they'll become the "big name" assistants tomorrow.

Nice theory... do you have any evidence that we are not competing with top schools for assistants?

Our HC pay is among the top 15 in coaching. I'm pretty sure our assistants are up there, too.

As far as going after "big name" coordinators, who should we be looking at? I'm pretty dang happy with Carl and Beck (and Bo for that matter). The rest of the assistants are about fit. We get the right fit and keep guys here, they'll become the "big name" assistants tomorrow.

:wow: ??????

TOM OSBORNE.

I know Bo is receiving a competitive salary at #14, but our coordinators and assistants are being paid way less than guys at a lot of other schools: Here's a top 10 list of assistant coaches salaries for 2011:

THE TOP 10
The highest salaries for football assistants for the upcoming season:

COACH SCHOOL SALARY
Gus Malzahn Auburn $1.3 million
Kirby Smart Alabama $850,000
Charlie Weis Florida $765,000
Todd Grantham Georgia $750,000
Ellis Johnson South Carolina $700,000
John Chavis Louisiana State $700,000
Steve Kragthorpe Louisiana State $700,000
Kevin Steele Clemson $681,000
Nick Holt Washington $650,000
Manny Diaz Texas $625,000
Bryan Harsin Texas $625,000

Read more: http://www.stltoday.com/sports/coll...e92-552e-ba2f-437d2544f7af.html#ixzz1gBSHvz7s

Here are the Husker assistant coaches salaries:

Tim Beck will be paid $345,000 a year as Nebraska's offensive coordinator.
Nebraska on Wednesday released to The Associated Press salary information and contracts for four new assistants.

Beck, who earned $220,000 last year as running backs coach, is being paid $35,000 less than former offensive coordinator Shawn Watson.
The new assistants signed two-year contracts. Secondary coach Corey Raymond is being paid $200,000 a year, linebackers coach Ross Els $170,000, receivers coach Rich Fisher $160,000 and tight ends coach John Garrison $140,000.
Defensive line coach John Papuchis' salary increased from $175,000 to $200,000.
Defensive coordinator Carl Pelini continues to be paid $375,000, and running backs coach Ron Brown and offensive line coach Barney Cotton $220,000 apiece.

From what I can tell, NU's coordinators and assistants aren't 'up there' as you assert. In fact, they're paying bargain basement prices for this coaching staff. I know I listed the top ten nationwide, but the gap between the lowest paid guy on that list and the Huskers highest paid assistant is huge, so I'm willing to bet that no Husker assistant or coordinator was in the top 25 this past year.

There's a reason some guys get paid more - they're really good coaches. The Huskers have some good coaches, but I believe if they weren't so tight they could have better coaches. As far as your last point about the Huskers cultivating their own "big name" assistants of tomorrow, let me ask you this: When was the last time other teams were clamoring after the big name, homegrown hot assistant at Nebraska? And no, Nick Saban showing interest in Shawn Watson doesn't count. I'm sure you and Fred can name a hundred schools who've inquired about Barney's services.
:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back