• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Steven M. Sipple: Pelini tries new angle for recruiting efficiency

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red Reign

Husker Immortal
15 Year Member
Interesting stuff.....whole article is well worth your read....:)

Some highlights....

Which made me wonder: How does a coach measure toughness during the recruiting process?

I asked a local expert.

"Part of it is simply finding guys who do things the right way," Nebraska football coach Bo Pelini said Tuesday. "You also look for guys who step up in big parts of the game, and guys who handle adversity."

Pelini said coaches talk to a prospect's teachers, counselors, coaches … even opposing coaches.

"You have to do your homework, and you have to be a good listener," he said. "But you also have to ask the right questions."

To that end, Pelini has enlisted help from an outside firm of research professionals to help his staff's efficiency in the recruiting process. It's his first go-round with such a method.

"They're working to help us to not only ask the right questions, but teach us what to listen for when we ask the questions and get more insight in the limited amount of time we're with recruits," he said.

Much, much more of what is really interesting article:

http://huskerextra.com/sports/columnists/sipple/article_60d02055-b10d-5edb-9c87-0c41c24e3a7e.html

Unfortunately in the comments section of the article there appear to be many that have a poor understanding of proper personal evaluations. As we have learned a great football player has to be both great athlete, plus possess the necessary mental attributes.

A consulting firm like this can increase our staffs EFFICIENCY, that's extremely important especially at Nebraska.

If you're Texas/Alabama/USC you can probably "miss" on 5-10 players per class and be fine. By starting with 20-25, 4-5 * recruits, even if only 15 per class become starters you're still in pretty good shape.

I think its a great idea. You need every edge you can get in evaluating players. Especially when you only get limited visits.

Not sure....would think the rules are similar to Facebook/Twitter etc....

I know a couple of years ago when the NCAA limited phone calls or head coach visits to a recruit, etc., Saban got right on the video skype type stuff. That guy must have a "backroom" staff analyzing rules and evaluating available technology
to skirt the rules and push the envelope.

I saw an article that I thought was well written and that I agreed with that pertains to this subject. http://www.presnapread.com/pelini-reaches-out-for-recruiting-help/ .

I wanted to weigh in on the subject as well. I admire Pelini for doing this and think only good can come from it. When Nebraska first replaced Bill Callahan with Bo Pelini, I remember hearing about concerns over Pelini's recruiting ability/dedication. First off, I want to say I think his last two classes have been very good, especially for classes that are both under 20 recruits. His previous classes were in the 25-30 range IMO. I think Pelini does a great job of critiquing, analyzing and evolving himself on the job. His coaching background is not similar to most football coaches. Most come up through the college ranks while Pelini cut his teeth in the NFL. Most coaches who work their way to where Pelini is had to hit the recruiting trail for a good part of a decade. Pelini basically skipped this process. Even as a Defensive Coordinator at Nebraska, Oklahoma and LSU, he did not hit the recruiting trail with the same vigor as position coaches do. Thats how most staffs work. Perhaps some of the close losses Pelini has endured (Va. Tech and Texas in '09; Texas, Oklahoma and A&M in '10) had changed his view on recruiting. Maybe seeing his team matched up with an upper-tier SEC team only reiterated what he had started with Papuchis as recruiting coordinator.

Hiring an outside firm of research professionals to help his staff's efficiency in the recruiting process is a great move. This shows he is willing to continue to try and get better and gain any advantage he can for Nebraska. Fans should be happy about this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back