• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Starting this season, FB players can play in up to four games without losing a season of competition

redwinghusker

All Big 10
10 Year Member
Good rule.

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources...otball-offer-more-participation-opportunities

College athletes competing in Division I football can participate in up to four games in a season without using a season of competition, the Division I Council decided this week at its meeting in Indianapolis.

Division I student-athletes have five years to compete in up to four seasons of competition. The new exception allows football players to preserve a season of competition if, for example, injuries or other factors result in them competing in a small number of games.

Council chair Blake James, athletics director at Miami (Florida), said the rule change benefits student-athletes and coaches alike.

I’d love to include some Freshmen in whatever bowl game we play in. To me, it’s more important to use the Bowl Game as a way to see how good some of the young guys are coming along. Sure, I’d still play the Seniors, but include more of the young guys.

I’d love to include some Freshmen in whatever bowl game we play in. To me, it’s more important to use the Bowl Game as a way to see how good some of the young guys are coming along. Sure, I’d still play the Seniors, but include more of the young guys.
We also may see a few more guys decide to sit out the bowl games if the have draft aspirations.

i love this rule, will give freshmen a chance to reconsider their redshirt decision after a couple games, may make it more likely that a player will address a lingering injury if detected before conference play, and will give young players a chance to see live-game action without burning a year. it will be interesting to see which coaching staffs can adapt to and implement this rule change the best. If you have a young player who is taking a redshirt year to develop physically, but will some-day be a contributor, there is almost no reason not to get him in 4 games if the game situation allows - but i can see some change-resistant staffs not wanting to bother with it.

there are players in our 2018 class that were likely to redshirt who I think we could see now. Jurgens, wildeman, Hunt, Alston, Rogers, all come to mind

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. So now the redshirt decision comes after someone plays in his 4th game, regardless of whether that happens in the team's 4th, 5th, 10th, etc. game that season.

For some players who are buried on the depth or are just too raw, this may be a moot point. Or maybe they get a handful of special teams or garbage time reps.

What's interesting is that you may see more juniors and seniors who played full seasons as true freshmen taking redshirts if they have a midseason injury. Heck, Ferentz is probably going to petition the NCAA to give Drew Ott that one year back.

Last edited:
It will be interesting to see how this is managed. I could see some getting in the early part of the season enabling staffs to determine what kind of a game day contributor they could be or I could see some holding them out till injuries at that position force the need.

Why just 4 games? Heck, let 'em play a whole 5.

While we're at it, pay them a decent wage. NFL rookies get $465K; college players should get at least $100K considering all the money they make for their employer.

Oh, and let's create a "Bachelor of Sports Athletics" degree. Skip all those classes where they have to learn stuff they'll never use on the field. They can take life skills classes instead and the rest of the time they can spend studying film. Their fifth year can go towards a "Masters of Sports Athletics" degree.

If I'm reading this correctly, the big caveat is "injuries or other factors". I don't know for sure what "other factors" means, but I highly doubt it means a freshman playing in a couple of games, then realizing he doesn't have what it takes to play at the FBS level quite yet. Maybe I'm wrong, but that would be a truly monumental change to the redshirting policy.

If I'm reading this correctly, the big caveat is "injuries or other factors". I don't know for sure what "other factors" means, but I highly doubt it means a freshman playing in a couple of games, then realizing he doesn't have what it takes to play at the FBS level quite yet. Maybe I'm wrong, but that would be a truly monumental change to the redshirting policy.
I can see an injury coming for starters not playing well near the end of the season.

Use it to test the young players. Put them in for a game to see what they can do.
Use it to fill in for an injured player. Saves having to move a player out of position.
Use it to reward a scout team stand-out player.
Use it to challenge regular roster players. They dont want to lose PT.
Use it to bolster the special teams.
Would we ever see redshirt players in the 2-deep? That may be a motivator.
How many years could a player take advantage of this rule? Dont they only have 6 total years to use up their eligibility?
How would this affect the waivers for medical hardship? Now that they get 4 mulligans each year, what if a player gets injured in his 5th game? Could they appeal and get him a redshirt?

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back