• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Starling wins Gatorade Kansas Football POY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red Reign

Husker Immortal
15 Year Member
Congrads to Bubba...:)

PITTSBURG — The Gatorade Company awarded Gardner-Edgerton senior quarterback Bubba Starling the 2010-11 Gatorade Kansas Football Player of the Year Wednesday.

Starling dominated on the ground his senior year as Gardner-Edgerton ran up a 11-1 record before losing in the Class 5A state semifinals against district rival and eventual state champion, Blue Valley. The 6-foot-5, 200-pound quarterback ran for a school-record 395 yards and five touchdowns in a 45-42 loss; Blue Valley’s Kyle Zimmerman, Starling’s quarterback counterpart, threw six touchdown passes.

Starling ran for 2,417 yards and 31 touchdowns on 172 carries. In a game nationally televised on ESPNU, Starling torched St. Thomas Aquinas for 313 yards and three touchdowns on 19 carries; Starling earned himself an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty in the fourth quarter for taunting Aquinas players after Brett Jensen scored a touchdown and Aquinas took late hits on Starling one play before Jensen’s score.

He passed for 812 yards and eight touchdowns in a run-dominated offense.

Starling ran for 126 yards and three touchdowns against Pittsburg in Week 7, a 49-14 Gardner-Edgerton victory.

The Gardner-Edgerton senior made a verbal commitment to play football at the University of Nebraska and has stated his desire to play baseball for the Cornhuskers. Starling excels at baseball and basketball for the Trail Blazers

http://www.morningsun.net/sports/x1790518401/Starling-wins-Gatorade-Kansas-Football-POY

I don't get it. So is there still a chance that he end's up here. Some have written him off due to the large amount of cash he is facing for baseball.

Sure there is always a chance....

...and there is a chance the Loch Ness Monster and Big Foot are real.;)

This kid will never sign in February. If he's not the #1 pick in the draft he'll be high enough to make him an instant millionaire several times over.

If you were his parents which direction would you be pushing him?

This kid will never sign in February. If he's not the #1 pick in the draft he'll be high enough to make him an instant millionaire several times over.

I would push him to an insurance agent to buy him some insurance in case of injury. I then would tell him GBR!

Want to bet?

He will sign in February....then wait until June where he is drafted and then we wait until at least August 15th.

If he were my son, I'd sit down and look at his options discuss them and then let him make his own mind up....like my dad did....

Oh and he will sign Feb....that doesn't tie him to anything....he may walk later as p-ville said but it gives him an option...

Nothing beats an education because ALL bodies breakdown......but seriously take the millions and pay someone to watch your finances, then go back to school later. Everything seems to be working out okay for Carl Crawford

Nothing beats an education because ALL bodies breakdown......but seriously take the millions and pay someone to watch your finances, then go back to school later. Everything seems to be working out okay for Carl Crawford

Yep.

Want to bet?

He will sign in February....then wait until June where he is drafted and then we wait until at least August 15th.

Good point. Forgot to take into consideration when the BB draft is.

However, I maintain that he will never suit up for Nebraska.

I was listening to ESPN radio on my way to work this morning and caught an "Outside the Lines" with Jeremy Shaap. He was profiling a 17-year-old high school football standout who received a concussion in one of his final high school football games. He didn't remember being hit hard enough to receive a concussion in the game but when his head started to hurt the following day they took him to a doctor and the concussion was diagnosed. They sat him out for two weeks and he finally decided to play...in his final high school game on October 28th. As the first half neared completion he had scored 2 TD's and had rushed for over 165 yards.

With 2 minutes to go in the half he walked off the field, grabbed his head and started screaming in pain, collapsed and died of a brain hemorrhage. The Neurosurgeon who looked at the autoposy resulted said he likely died from Second Impact Syndrome.

I want Starling to be a Husker....but his family is crazy if they let it happen. If you are as talented as he is in baseball and it is going to make you an instant millionaire in a sport where those who retire still have all their mental faculties, you don't chose football.

Last edited:
Good point. Forgot to take into consideration when the BB draft is.

However, I maintain that he will never suit up for Nebraska.

I was listening to ESPN radio on my way to work this morning and caught an "Outside the Lines" with Jeremy Shaap. He was profiling a 17-year-old high school football standout who received a concussion in one of his final high school football games. He didn't remember being hit hard enough to receive a concussion in the game but when his head started to hurt the following day they took him to a doctor and the concussion was diagnosed. They sat him out for two weeks and he finally decided to play...in his final high school game on October 28th. As the first half neared completion he had scored 2 TD's and had rushed for over 165 yards.

With 2 minutes to go in the half he walked off the field, grabbed his head and started screaming in pain, collapsed and died of a brain hemorrhage. The Neurosurgeon who looked at the autoposy resulted said he likely died from Second Impact Syndrome.

I want Starling to be a Husker....but his family is crazy if they let it happen. If you are as talented as he is in baseball and it is going to make you an instant millionaire in a sport where those who retire still have all their mental faculties, you don't chose football.

Would love for Starling to play for the Big Red, but your words are 110% correct.

I am an optimist and kool aid drinker:koolaid:

So even if there is a small chance, I am hopeful. I believe I have read here (somewhere) that he favors playing football over baseball and with his comments about playing both for Nebraska, perhaps we really does want to play both sports as long as he can,than after his 3rd year, he'd be eligible for MBL draft again, and we see him leave at that point.

I am an optimist and kool aid drinker:koolaid:

So even if there is a small chance, I am hopeful. I believe I have read here (somewhere) that he favors playing football over baseball and with his comments about playing both for Nebraska, perhaps we really does want to play both sports as long as he can,than after his 3rd year, he'd be eligible for MBL draft again, and we see him leave at that point.

I'm not counting him out, Tom. Stranger things have happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back