• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Stanley Jean-Baptiste

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigRedOhio

Travel Squad
10 Year Member
Here is a guy I think a lot of us have forgotten about (myself included). He played a big role in our win over Ohio State, but I believe that he had an injury problem that held up the rest of his season. Any more word on him? He could be a big help to our defense if he can get healthy. I actually liked him at receiver, but it sounds like the coaches think he's got some tremendous upside on defense. What's his outlook for next season?

Here is a guy I think a lot of us have forgotten about (myself included). He played a big role in our win over Ohio State, but I believe that he had an injury problem that held up the rest of his season. Any more word on him? He could be a big help to our defense if he can get healthy. I actually liked him at receiver, but it sounds like the coaches think he's got some tremendous upside on defense. What's his outlook for next season?

He might play, he might not.....best outlook I could find right now.... :Biggrin: :eek: :Biggrin: :eek: :Biggrin:

I think SJB has tremendous potential on defense largely due to his size (6'3, 220).

Most corners tend to be smaller, speedy guys who are built for reacting to receivers. Typically, CBs are some of the fastest guys on the team because they have to react quicker than the WRs. For comparison, here are some of our recent corners (and hybrids like Hagg). SJB is both the tallest and biggest guy in their ranks.

Stanley Jean-Baptiste6-03220
Andrew Green6-00190
Ciante Evans5-11185
Prince Amukamara6-01205
Alfonzo Dennard5-10195
Eric Hagg6-02200
Courtney Osborne6-03175
DeJon Gomes6-00200
Anthony Blue5-10185

<tbody>
</tbody>

Now compare his size to some of our linebackers.

Stanley Jean-Baptiste6-03220
Will Compton6-02225
LaVonte David6-01210
Alonzo Whaley6-01225
Eric Martin6-02240
Sean Fisher6-06235
Phillip Dillard6-01235

<tbody>
</tbody>

SJB is basically a much faster version of Will Compton or Eric Martin than can also jump. If he can improve his hand coordination and hip/footwork, he'll be a nightmare mismatch against most receivers. I can see him lining up against tight ends just because of his bulk.

Last edited:
I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do with a spring/fall at DB. Great athlete...just need to find the right spot on the field for him.

Well, I for one never forgot about this young man. I've been checking on his progress since he step foot on campus. I've always like his measure as a WR and thought that he would be a huge weapon there. Then with his move to defense, he looks to be an even bigger mismatch as he has the speed and size combination to match up with anyone. Injuries riddled through our defense at key positions and I don't know much about his status as far as that. The best person to ask would be Bo......good luck;).

He'll probably play one game at corner, one game at safety, and then be moved to tight end half way through the season.

He'll probably play one game at corner, one game at safety, and then be moved to tight end half way through the season.

and you know this base on........

Everything I hear in Lincoln is that he shows a lot of promise as a CB. I've never heard his name mentioned as a TE even when he was a WR.

Well, I for one never forgot about this young man. I've been checking on his progress since he step foot on campus. I've always like his measure as a WR and thought that he would be a huge weapon there. Then with his move to defense, he looks to be an even bigger mismatch as he has the speed and size combination to match up with anyone. Injuries riddled through our defense at key positions and I don't know much about his status as far as that. The best person to ask would be Bo......good luck;).

Pretty sure the only film I remember being posted on him was practice film at fort scott, it added to the intrigue. I agree, he is a freak athlete. I think he's behind the 8 ball in terms of development as a CB, but the ability he showed 2 weeks after being converted shows a lot of potential. If he could become our Nickel/big 10 evquivalent of a peso, I think we're in really good shape. I think Andrew Green was our most improved player this year. I had all but given up on him after a couple games and he really turned it around. If he can make similar strides this offseason I think he could be really special. I'm a little disappointed in Evans. He played well when Dennard got hurt 2 years ago but he always seemed to be a step or two behind last year. I hope he (or someone else) can step up to lock down that other corner position. Based on his size and skill set, I think it would be ideal for us to be able to slot Baptiste into a nickel/peso role. With the competition at safety, it looks to be an interesting year with a lot of potential for the secondary

Pretty sure the only film I remember being posted on him was practice film at fort scott, it added to the intrigue. I agree, he is a freak athlete. I think he's behind the 8 ball in terms of development as a CB, but the ability he showed 2 weeks after being converted shows a lot of potential. If he could become our Nickel/big 10 evquivalent of a peso, I think we're in really good shape. I think Andrew Green was our most improved player this year. I had all but given up on him after a couple games and he really turned it around. If he can make similar strides this offseason I think he could be really special. I'm a little disappointed in Evans. He played well when Dennard got hurt 2 years ago but he always seemed to be a step or two behind last year. I hope he (or someone else) can step up to lock down that other corner position. Based on his size and skill set, I think it would be ideal for us to be able to slot Baptiste into a nickel/peso role. With the competition at safety, it looks to be an interesting year with a lot of potential for the secondary

Agreed. I really like him as a nickel. I wonder how well he can shed blocks?

I agree. If we can use him in the same manor we used Hagg, we would have the a new and improved Peso defense. As far as Evans, I am with you on this also. I couldn't understand why Evans looked to be back sliding since the first time he step in a year or so ago. I figured he would have matured to be a leader on the field by this time. This year, I would turn my head, for one reason or another and hear a big play occur for the opposing team. When I turn back to see what I missed, #17 seem to always be apart of the replay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back