• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Stadiums in the world of D2

WestTexasHusker

All Legend
10 Year Member
While I love the Huskers and OSU Cowboys, I'm also a big fan of small college ball. My alma mater, West Texas A&M, recently christened its new stadium with a lopsided win over Azusa Pacific.

Here is their field. If you have a small college team you follow, post a photo of their stadium here!
WT 1.jpg
WT2.jpg

Last edited:

Shout out to Caniglia Field at UNO. I understand why they cut football, but this was a fun little stadium.

UNO-216.jpg

And this is technically high school, but I always loved how Millard's Buell Stadium was sunk into the grade of the hill it sits on. Somehow they managed to share this field between Millard North, Millard South and Millard West. As an adult, I now appreciate the logistics of scheduling two teams away in order to have one team's home game. Fortunately there were at least three games a year where two of the schools could just share the field against one another.

58ed111068b7e.image.jpg

And this is technically high school, but I always loved how Millard's Buell Stadium was sunk into the grade of the hill it sits on. Somehow they managed to share this field between Millard North, Millard South and Millard West. As an adult, I now appreciate the logistics of scheduling two teams away in order to have one team's home game. Fortunately there were at least three games a year where two of the schools could just share the field against one another.

58ed111068b7e.image.jpg

Is that a press box or a deer stand?

Last edited:

Shout out to Caniglia Field at UNO. I understand why they cut football, but this was a fun little stadium.

UNO-216.jpg

58ed111068b7e.image.jpg

IIRC you went to Millard North, correct? I went to Millard South and used to play on the drumline so I marched on that field. I worked in the counseling office there briefly this past spring and noticed they installed a pretty sweet looking new jumbotron.

Last edited:
IIRC you went to Millard North, correct? I went to Millard South and used to play on the drumline so I marched on that field. I worked in the counseling office there briefly this past spring and noticed they installed a pretty sweet looking new jumbotron.

Yup, Millard North grad and fellow band member (trombone & piano). That's a nice update to Buell!

I check the smaller Missouri schools as much as possible, and there's some decent tradition with several at the lower levels. Here's a few.

Missouri State in Springfield (lived there for a short time, go there quite often.)
Plaster1.jpg

Southeast Missouri State in Cape Gerardeau. These guys were dominant for several decades in the MIAA conference a while back, then have had a couple good years this decade. Made the FCS playoff last year.

HouckStadiumBanner.jpg

MO Southern State in Joplin. I lived here for a short time when we first got married. My wife went to college here, I this place is special to me. These guys don't have much by way of winning tradition. They have a NAIA National Title in the 70s, and a conference title in 93, overall losing record, losing record with all their conference opponents. The interesting thing is that among all that losing history, they have some notable alumni. Rod Smith (yes, the Super Bowl Champion) played there, went to Denver undrafted in 94. Brandon Williams of the Ravens played there and was drafted on the third round in 2013. He made the pro bowl last year. Alan Barbre played for ten years in the NFL, and was drafted in the 4th round in 2007.

5b50b5fe01048.image.jpg

Last edited:

UNO-216.jpg

58ed111068b7e.image.jpg
When Millard West came along, they started scheduling Thursday night games as well. And remember, at that time (late 1990s) the field was still GRASS! When I was there a few years earlier, Millard South had two freshmen teams, a sophomore team, a JV team, and a varsity team... and all games were played on that field. The grounds crew did a phenomenal job of keeping the grass in good shape.

I'm still a little disgusted by the neighbors around Millard West who opposed putting in another full stadium. They didn't want the lights, noise, and traffic... but they sure wanted their precious snowflakes to have everything else.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back