• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

*** Thoughts from offseason topics

I get this take. Quite honestly, my frustration doesn't come from where we are currently. It comes from where we are compared to what our staff said. Our head coach went through a full spring ball in 2018 and came with "you better get us now because we are going to be dangerous in 2019". Our AD said "we have Ohio State running scared" and "years 2 and 3 is where you start seeing results." Fast-forward to now and Moos is shifting to "years 4 and 5 is where you need to take a look at things" and people clamoring "we have no idea how bad it was."

My question is, if we were saying that about a 19-19 team that went to two bowl games, had a 9 win season, and oh by the way we forced the head coach to fire his best coordinator, our AD also told him he couldn't recruit JUCOs anymore as I pointed out when Riley got a ton of them at Oregon State but none here, and our administration told him they couldn't do the circuit workout that we are doing all the time now (it's not about the workout, it's about non coaches telling them what they can and cant' do)... what would this staff say about this program if they took over in 2021 which for the past 3 seasons had way less hurdles than Riley, but mustered up a 12-20 record with zero bowl games and zero winning seasons? Keep in mind that nearly every player when Riley took over was like "ummm.... you fired Bo for this guy?" and wasn't happy, while when Frost was hired initially the majority were extremely happy as they saw what happened in Orlando and knew they needed to be better.

Again, I could actually be on board with where we are right now if not for the comments that were made from people that see our team everyday on where we would be in 2021. Us underachieving to this point is by their bar, not one I created on my own.

40-10 and 56-14 his last 2 games against Iowa. Among many other embarrassing losses. I'd say 12-20 is incredibly disappointing, and it needs to improve in a hurry. In spite of that, you're still head and shoulders better than the last staff. Which is such a low bar that it is nothing to hang your hat on.
That's what I would say.

40-10 and 56-14 his last 2 games against Iowa. Among many other embarrassing losses. I'd say 12-20 is incredibly disappointing, and it needs to improve in a hurry. In spite of that, you're still head and shoulders better than the last staff. Which is such a low bar that it is nothing to hang your hat on.
That's what I would say.
Also, tome, MR was a traitor, he let his team and his choices be controlled.
You fire traitors.
Nebraska way too big a program to be run by the AD, and the wiscy model comparison is fail, as their AD knew what ,who, when and how to win as a coach.
MR knew our AD had none of the above, yet he fires a long time friend.

So, whats the same between then and now?
Absolutely nothing

I get this take. Quite honestly, my frustration doesn't come from where we are currently. It comes from where we are compared to what our staff said. Our head coach went through a full spring ball in 2018 and came with "you better get us now because we are going to be dangerous in 2019". Our AD said "we have Ohio State running scared" and "years 2 and 3 is where you start seeing results." Fast-forward to now and Moos is shifting to "years 4 and 5 is where you need to take a look at things" and people clamoring "we have no idea how bad it was."

My question is, if we were saying that about a 19-19 team that went to two bowl games, had a 9 win season, and oh by the way we forced the head coach to fire his best coordinator, our AD also told him he couldn't recruit JUCOs anymore as I pointed out when Riley got a ton of them at Oregon State but none here, and our administration told him they couldn't do the circuit workout that we are doing all the time now (it's not about the workout, it's about non coaches telling them what they can and cant' do)... what would this staff say about this program if they took over in 2021 which for the past 3 seasons had way less hurdles than Riley, but mustered up a 12-20 record with zero bowl games and zero winning seasons? Keep in mind that nearly every player when Riley took over was like "ummm.... you fired Bo for this guy?" and wasn't happy, while when Frost was hired initially the majority were extremely happy as they saw what happened in Orlando and knew they needed to be better.

Again, I could actually be on board with where we are right now if not for the comments that were made from people that see our team everyday on where we would be in 2021. Us underachieving to this point is by their bar, not one I created on my own.

Frost should have kept his pie hole shut and just come in and went to work. 100% agree.

Riley, while not the guy I wanted wearing the headsets or driving the bus, got jobbed in a big way.

He’s gone. I’m glad he’s gone. I’m pissed our current staff stomped on their collective manhood for three straight years.

I’m still glad Frost is here, expect him to win sooner than later and believe he will.

Nice post, and this is where I'm at with our current situation. No amount of revisionist talk about "This was expected" or "I knew this was going to take 5 years" holds water when the guys running the ship missed badly like Frost and Moos did. They called their shot, and it was way off. It's like the Titanic passengers in steerage class saying, "I knew we were going to hit an iceberg" even though the guys up in the crows nest using binoculars couldn't see it....

I just remember Moos take when he said maybe no bowl game winning season and everyone flipped out.
I think Moos expectations are for this year, and we all pretty much agree

Alabama and Ohio State do fine with it. The Patriots won Super Bowls with guys like Julian Edelman being their primary WR. It's what football is now. If you are going to spread the field out and be "Oregon fast", how big a guy is matters about as much as a WNBA regular season game. We are trying to get guys in space. The leading WR for Oregon when they played for a National Title in 2014 and Scott Frost was their OC was Byron Marshall who was the exact same height as Wan'Dale.

"It should never happen" basically is telling Alabama, Ohio State, New England, and Oregon when they were playing for championships "you're doing it wrong." I don't get that statement at all.
Let me know when we get a quality QB like those schools you mentioned. How did Edelman do this year?

Mind telling me when we got Mahones pitching the football for the Huskers?

That has nothing to do with what you claimed. You said it's a bad idea to have a smaller guy being the focal point of your offense. You couldn't be more incorrect about that, and there are tons of examples that disproves your point.

That's what I would say.
That's fine. Would have loved to see what Riley could do if he had the freedom Frost is given, that was my entire point. If it was that low of a bar, is there even a bar right now if this staff is getting worse results on the field?

But since you went there, why do we quote singular opponents to feel better about things, but not the entire season? That seems incredibly foolish and silly to me. In other words, if I quote that Riley was 2-0 against Illinois his last 2 games against them and had an 18.5 point margin of victory compared to Frost being 1-1 with a 7 point margin of defeat his last 2 games does it matter? If I told you Riley was 2-1 against Purdue but Frost is 1-2 does it matter? If I told you Riley was 2-1 against Minnesota but Frost is 1-2 against them, does it matter?

That should put to rest the "look at the one off things." But now let me really blow your mind with this stat::

Mike Riley has an equal or better winning percentage against every single B1G team after three years compared to Scott Frost, except Penn State. The Nittany Lions are literally the only B1G team that Frost has a better winning percentage after three seasons than Mike Riley.

Frost should have kept his pie hole shut and just come in and went to work. 100% agree.

Riley, while not the guy I wanted wearing the headsets or driving the bus, got jobbed in a big way.

He’s gone. I’m glad he’s gone. I’m pissed our current staff stomped on their collective manhood for three straight years.

I’m still glad Frost is here, expect him to win sooner than later and believe he will.
I think that was really our toughest issue, we ran our mouths pretty good. Not only rubbed the conference wrong but didn't go well in the lockerroom.

I defend Riley only from the sense that what was going on looked nothing like what he wanted. Pelini needed to be fired if Eichorst was our AD, but not if Riley was going to be the HC.

I need Frost to make this work. He was absolutely the right hire and i'm actually encouraged our offense is what's trailing behind because I feel like he can fix that.

I think that was really our toughest issue, we ran our mouths pretty good. Not only rubbed the conference wrong but didn't go well in the lockerroom.

I defend Riley only from the sense that what was going on looked nothing like what he wanted. Pelini needed to be fired if Eichorst was our AD, but not if Riley was going to be the HC.

I need Frost to make this work. He was absolutely the right hire and i'm actually encouraged our offense is what's trailing behind because I feel like he can fix that.

Yeah. While I didn’t necessarily disagree with the ‘We need better players’ assessment he and his staff made, they set fire to their own ships in the process. Three years later we’re really back to where we could have started.

We all do.

On the offense, I just need to see it. It’s so close most of the time, but it’s got to get over that hump.

Let me know when we get a quality QB like those schools you mentioned. How did Edelman do this year?
That's a completely different discussion than having your top offensive weapon be small. If you would like to shift the argument there, I can agree we haven't had good QB play. I'm replying to your original comment of "this is what happens when you depend on a shrimp to carry your team." What happened this year had nothing to do with how small Wan'Dale was.

Now if you want to amend your argument to "we need better QB play to get our guys in space the ball like the Patriots, Ohio State, Alabama, Clemson" I can probably get on board there.

For someone who has been a Husker fan since 1940, I really don't like to be negative about the program. But that attitude has been forced upon me by the results of the SF era. It feels like Potsy Clark all over again.

While *** is spot on in his analysis, no one likes to touch the third rail and conclude what at this point seems to be the only possible explanation for that lengthy litany of weaknesses and failures.- Our HC is in over his head.

So I think we have to outlive the Moos regime and hope in the meantime that he doesn't give SF a lengthy expensive extension if he finally wins six games.

That everyone thinks we showed a winning running game last year because we got a lot of yards on Rutgers demonstrates the depths of our problem.

I really hope the program proves me wrong, but hope is different from expects.

That has nothing to do with what you claimed. You said it's a bad idea to have a smaller guy being the focal point of your offense. You couldn't be more incorrect about that, and there are tons of examples that disproves your point.
Of course there are exceptions all around, but remember Robinson could not carry this team on his shoulders and that drove him someplace else. If you think the small guy can carry a team you are mistaken. Hill does not carry the KC Chiefs either and that is truth, you are saying a sawed off runt can make a team but that simply aint true. If that were true, then how many rings would the Seahawks have? Im ready for your next driveby response, so fire away.

That's fine. Would have loved to see what Riley could do if he had the freedom Frost is given, that was my entire point. If it was that low of a bar, is there even a bar right now if this staff is getting worse results on the field?

But since you went there, why do we quote singular opponents to feel better about things, but not the entire season? That seems incredibly foolish and silly to me. In other words, if I quote that Riley was 2-0 against Illinois his last 2 games against them and had an 18.5 point margin of victory compared to Frost being 1-1 with a 7 point margin of defeat his last 2 games does it matter? If I told you Riley was 2-1 against Purdue but Frost is 1-2 does it matter? If I told you Riley was 2-1 against Minnesota but Frost is 1-2 against them, does it matter?

That should put to rest the "look at the one off things." But now let me really blow your mind with this stat::

Mike Riley has an equal or better winning percentage against every single B1G team after three years compared to Scott Frost, except Penn State. The Nittany Lions are literally the only B1G team that Frost has a better winning percentage after three seasons than Mike Riley.

There is no metric where Mike Riley is better. His losses were worse, he had one good season (well, 2/3 of a season before the smoke and mirrors were exposed), and was simply a disaster in every way. He got two bowl seasons because of a lucky loophole. So again , one good season based on an incredibly easy front loaded schedule. Other than that, he was a complete disaster.
In spite of 12-20, I see things trending better than Riley. Which isn't good enough, and needs to be much better.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back