• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Sports Illustrated top 25: no Nebraska, Wisky #3

That's okay. It'll probably be just as stupid for this year. From the time that I started junior high ('83) through college I tried to purchase all of the college football preview magazines. Doing that, I noticed a pattern: Sports Illustrated was inexcusably awful in both their predictions and their coverage. Coming off of that fantastic Nebraska vs Florida State Orange Bowl at the end of the '93 season, who does SI pick to win it all in '94? Arizona Wildcats, of course.

Okay, they really blew that, so they should have learned from it, so who do they pick to win it all in '95? Why, USC, of course.

Alright, so Nebraska had been undefeated for two years, who you going to pick to win it all in '96?

Yeah, the SI jinx is real.

I don't expect the Huskers to be ranked in the Top 25 coming off of a 4-8 season in which they really didn't win against any good teams. Coming close in some games doesn't cut it. All I am looking for is a tougher minded team that starts beating up on some of the teams that have been doing that to them. If this team wins some games against Wisky, Iowa, Northwestern...and finshes with 8 or more wins (not including the bowl game win), I will be fairly good with that. I'll be super excited if the team exceeds expectations and wins over 9 regular season games. The season can't come fast enough for me. I think we are starting to see the turnaround of our Husker football under SF.

Tim Brando is sure high on us, finishing #8 by the season end. I'd love this to be the case, hate it when we climb to the top 10 and then blow it and finish in the top 30.

That's okay. It'll probably be just as stupid for this year. From the time that I started junior high ('83) through college I tried to purchase all of the college football preview magazines. Doing that, I noticed a pattern: Sports Illustrated was inexcusably awful in both their predictions and their coverage. Coming off of that fantastic Nebraska vs Florida State Orange Bowl at the end of the '93 season, who does SI pick to win it all in '94? Arizona Wildcats, of course.

View attachment 26184

Okay, they really blew that, so they should have learned from it, so who do they pick to win it all in '95? Why, USC, of course.

View attachment 26185

Alright, so Nebraska had been undefeated for two years, who you going to pick to win it all in '96?

View attachment 26186

Yeah, the SI jinx is real.

SI likes to pick someone a little outside of the box sometimes. I know I have read that about them. If their is an outlying team that looked good the year before they go with that.

That Arizona team beat the crap out of Miami in the fiesta bowl the following year and returned like 17 starters.

Tim Brando is sure high on us, finishing #8 by the season end. I'd love this to be the case, hate it when we climb to the top 10 and then blow it and finish in the top 30.
Brando is crazy to think Huskers will finish season at number 8. I'm more in the Sipple camp of thinking that 8-4 or 9-3 is probably the ceiling this year (based on returning starters and how we did last year). I will be ecstatic if Brando is right though. That would be a major accomplishment for SF in his 2nd season as HC, with mostly MR's players still in major roles. The team is going to trend upward from this year going forward under SF. It won't be long before the Huskers are the clear picks every year for the West Division.

Last edited:
Brando is crazy to think Huskers will finish season at number 8. I'm more in the Sipple camp of thinking that 8-4 or 9-3 is probably the ceiling this year (based on returning starters and how we did last year). I will be ecstatic if Brando is right though. That would be a major accomplishment for SF in his 2nd season as HC, with mostly MR's players still in major roles. The team is going to trend upward from this year going forward under SF. It won't be long before the Huskers are the clear picks every year for the West Division.
Yeah I think he's off a bit, but I sure hope he is right. I'm in the 7-9 range, low standards instead of my usual.

I never really care about pre-season rankings especially this early. But I'm guessing Back to Back losing seasons isn't going to make anyone who isn't drinking the Kool Aid in Lincoln to place them anywhere near a top25 pre-season ranking. I feel like we have the talent and ability to finish well into the top20 or 15 by the end of the season, but we gotta take care of business because we are far from in the days where we can get the benefit of doubt in the rankings.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back