• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked So much rests on the QB's play...

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you examine the Pelini era and record closely, you have to look at the QB as a large part of the equation.

Joe Ganz was a gutsy QB, but had a penchant for turning the ball over at the worst possible times (Lubbock 2008 overtime as an example).

Zac Lee was an average to above QB.

We've had our wagon hitched to T-Mart for 3.5 seasons. Like the "Little girl with the curl", when T-Mart is good, he's good. But when he's bad, he's awful.

Then you have a 3rd stringer trying to win two critical games.

What does Pelini's record look like with Scott Frost, Crouch, or Frazier taking the snaps?

We've suffered through an 11-year drought at the QB position IMO, and as a result we've piled up the losses.

Here is hoping the drought is coming to an end with Armstrong, Stanton, or someone yet-to-be discovered.

Good points.

This is directly a result of 6 years of less than stellar recruiting at the QB position. The only two "quality QB recruits" in 6 years are the two currently on the roster, both young.

I see it as more of the same. Armstrong was injured and RKIII played. Fine with that. Why didn't we see Fyfe when RKIII was struggling? That's what I don't get. They tell us all week that the QB's take the same number of reps. So if TAII was injured Fyfe should have been taking reps as the backup. Yet he never played. Guess that's why Bo is a coach and I'm not.

I guess I look at RKIII's "struggles" against Iowa a little differently. I saw it as nerves. And it was early in the game- he settled down a got better, IIRC. That, to me, is something different than trotting Martinez out game after game when he can't run due to injury.

As for Fyfe, who knows? When you get down to #3 it wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility that #4 is not a realistic option. Remember when Berringer went down and Turman was going to play vs. K-State? There was talking of holding open tryouts on campus for another QB. :Biggrin:

Last edited:
I guess I look at RKIII's "struggles" against Iowa a little differently. I saw it as nerves. And it was early in the game- he settled down a got better, IIRC. That, to me, is something different than trotting Martinez out game after game when he can't run due to injury.

As for Fyfe, who knows? When you get down to #3 it wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility that #4 is not a realistic option. Remember when Berringer went down and Turman was going to play vs. K-State? There was talking of holding open tryouts on campus for another QB. :Biggrin:

and TO never had fewer than five QB's after that

I think Martinez is an outstanding athlete, but I haven't seen an initiative from him as a leader, personally. He's always kind of shy and unfriendly with the general public (maybe that's why Bo likes him so much). I'm not sure he was the guy to unite our team, and only teams that have a proven leader tend to succeed.

and TO never had fewer than five QB's after that

He had 5 that year (1994), and we have 7 on the roster for 2013. But you're not going to play them unless absolutely necessary. Once you get to #3 at the QB position, is #4 really going to be the guy that saves you? Are you going to burn a redshirt when you're that deep into the season?

You go with the guy(s) that gives you the best shot at winning. Ryker Fyfe wasn't going to be the answer.

I think Martinez is an outstanding athlete, but I haven't seen an initiative from him as a leader, personally. He's always kind of shy and unfriendly with the general public (maybe that's why Bo likes him so much). I'm not sure he was the guy to unite our team, and only teams that have a proven leader tend to succeed.

Tommie Frazier wasn't friendly with the public or his own teammates.

Don't get me wrong, I've never really been convinced of Martinez's leadership abilities, but I think your criteria on what defines a leader is lacking.

I would call Russell Wilson a leader. He was at Wisconsin as well as the Seahawks. ITs been along time since Nebraska had a quality guy like that. The last one we had was Scott Frost. We still don't know about Armstrong or Stanton. K3 is a leader but without the talent that is necessary to get on the field except as backup. T mart has never been a leader, he is a creation of Bo and Beck.

I would call Russell Wilson a leader. He was at Wisconsin as well as the Seahawks. ITs been along time since Nebraska had a quality guy like that. The last one we had was Scott Frost. We still don't know about Armstrong or Stanton. K3 is a leader but without the talent that is necessary to get on the field except as backup. T mart has never been a leader, he is a creation of Bo and Beck.

What?? :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Please

Understand some Huskers fans are still stuck in 1997, sigh.

Let's see.......... there's this QB that won a Heisman, Joe Ganz, Zac Taylor

Two of those guys were strong team leaders and their talents have led to successful coaching jobs

What?? :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Please

Understand some Huskers fans are still stuck in 1997, sigh.

Let's see.......... there's this QB that won a Heisman, Joe Ganz, Zac Taylor

Two of those guys were strong team leaders and their talents have led to successful coaching jobs

Which ones? Exactly what did EC do to demonstrate his leading capabilities? I do recall his being called a ball hog, is that it? Ganz is a GA, hardly a successful coach. Not even sure what ZT is up to these days.

Which ones? Exactly what did EC do to demonstrate his leading capabilities? I do recall his being called a ball hog, is that it? Ganz is a GA, hardly a successful coach. Not even sure what ZT is up to these days.

Ganz was a leader for the way he handled himself given the Keller deal, it showed and teammates would tell you the same. Successful coach? To be determined.

Taylor has been with the Miami Dolphins for the past 3 years (?) worked up to QB coach and I think he has risen from that now.

QB play has been a critical weakness & has to improve!

NU's never been a NFL QB factory - too bad watson couldn't deliver a Gabbert, perhaps the perception would've changed by now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back