• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Smoked brisket

tallow is the briskets best friend, poor that rendered tallow over the brisket when wrapping. will help with moisture problems and loosen up the bark.
I agree. I will usually brush the tallow onto my butcher paper to saturate it before wrapping the brisket.

I like to take the trimmed fat, put it in a loaf pan and place it on the smoker with the brisket. Once it renders down I pour the liquid fat through a cheesecloth and end up with a small mason jar of smoked tallow. Liquid Gold. This is from a brisket I did recently. I used the rendered fat from this batch to flash fry homemade corn tortillas for carne asada tacos.
View attachment 97446
Last time I rendered brisket fat I put it in the oven and it may have slipped my mind for a while. Anyway, when it was done I had a nice jar of tallow, and some beef cracklings that I used as dog bribery tools.

I also have a love hate relationship with brisket. The last one I did, I brined as corned beef for 12 days, then smoked for pastrami. It was ok, but that is the great thing about BBQ. If something is just OK, there is always next time.

Nice,
The 1050 has a app thing.
I just need to figure it out.
I would rather not have my phone with me.
I usually start mine up before I go to bed. Don't really use my phone much unless I'm out running around and then I can check temps. With the good ceramic smokers (KJ and BGE) you can fill the charcoal chamber with big lump charcoal and never have to reload - even the 18 hr cook had some charcoal left afterwards.

Does anyone else inject their brisket? I'll usually use a little bit of beer with some of the rub mixed in.

I bought a pellet smoker a few years back and have had great luck with my briskets. Nothing more than salt and pepper rub, uncovered at 250 for 5 hours, wrap and another 12 hours at 200. Been awesome everytime.

Just pulled a 3lb brisket off the Traeger. Been on since 8 am. Letting it rest for an hour. Wrapped at 165⁰ with apple juice and butter. We'll see how it turns out.

This is my first attemp wrapping. It basically eliminated the stall.

Damn Traeger went out after 6 hours. Had to do a restart. That's been a reoccurring problem I've had with this old model.

Just pulled a 3lb brisket off the Traeger. Been on since 8 am. Letting it rest for an hour. Wrapped at 165⁰ with apple juice and butter. We'll see how it turns out.

This is my first attemp wrapping. It basically eliminated the stall.

Damn Traeger went out after 6 hours. Had to do a restart. That's been a reoccurring problem I've had with this old model.

Ok. This was my best attempt yet. Not a grand slam, but an infield triple for sure. Excellent smoke ring, very tender, and moist. The only thing I think I missed was the bark.

Wrapping made a huge difference but it softened the bark. I'm thinking next time I'll wrap at ~160 to 165 and then unwrap at 200 and cook unwrapped to 205 to see if I can get a better bark.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back