• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

"SlowPlay/Long Time"

Huskerwirejay

All American
15 Year Member
With apologizes to the Band Boston, "it's been such a long time" since we last looked at the assumption that a slow pace of play that is often seen by Doc Sadler coached teams at NU is less successful as a style of play than getting up and down the court is a style more similar to KU or NC under Roy Williams.

I took a snapshot of the 30 teams with the fasted tempo and found that their average ranking is 193 while the 30 slowest teams have a average ranking of 174.

Next I divided all of D1 into thirds. The fast 1/3 have an average ranking of 181. The slowest 1/3 has an average ranking of 172.

Fast tempo does not correlate to wins. Likewise, it's hard to say that you can't successfully recruit if you don't have a up-tempo style of play.

How are you determining these teams? I would say everyone of the Top25 teams plays a faster pace game than Nebraska??

I used Kenpom.com to rank the teams 1-345. You can read more about kenpom.com in my sig line.

Who Top 25 do you want me to use? AP, Coaches, CBS, RPI?

Virginia plays slower than NU (15th, 17th).
Georgetown (10, 12) is just 1 possession a game faster than NU.
Wisconsin (CBS #22) is slower than everybody.
Harvard (--, 24) is slower than NU.
Michigan, (20, 19) hold the ball on average less than 2 tenth's of a second per possession less than NU so while I can't say they play slower, they also don't play much faster.

There seems to be a number of ranked teams that play ~ at NU's pace.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back