• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Sipple Likes Erstad for Coach

The Impaler

Cake or Death?
15 Year Member
Per his article today.

I have a hunch -- OK, call it an informed hunch -- that Erstad will get a long look from Osborne, that is if Erstad expresses interest in the head-coaching job. That's a sizable "if." Osborne said Tuesday he doesn't know if the former two-sport Husker standout truly wants to be a full-time coach. The 36-year-old Erstad just completed his first season as Nebraska's "volunteer" hitting coach after wrapping up a distinguished 14-year major-league career in 2009.

Erstad has instant credibility when walks onto any baseball field. There simply aren't many people walking the planet who command such respect. Consider Erstad's value when it comes to recruiting.

"That's not a bad carrot to throw out there," Peterson says.

I don't think it's far-fetched to think Osborne would make Erstad the head coach and retain assistants Eric Newman and Dave Bingham, both of whom enjoyed success as Division I head coaches. In fact, the more I think about it, the more I like the idea on a lot of levels. I especially like the fire Erstad would inject as the program's leader.

How would Husker fans react to such a staff? Would that be enough change for them? Am I nuts to raise the possibility?

I like Erstad, and who knows, maybe he would be a great coach. It's just that he doesn't have any coaching experience so it is a HUGE gamble. I would like to see a more proven commodity to be honest.

We need a clean start and if there is any carry over it should be Erstad as an assistant.

I don't like the idea of Erstad as a head coach with rehashed assistants.

This is a critical time for Nebraska baseball, Nebraska needs somebody who can coach, what they don't need is an experiment

Per his article today.

I like Erstad, and who knows, maybe he would be a great coach. It's just that he doesn't have any coaching experience so it is a HUGE gamble. I would like to see a more proven commodity to be honest.

Me too. We are at a crossroads. It is not hard to be competitive in the Big 10. We could poabanly cut the salaries by 1/3 and still fnd a decent enough coach to co,pete in the Big 10. However if we want to compete with the powerhouses in college baseball we will need more than an up and comer as coach. I say find a proven coach with AA or AAA experience. Someone who can teach these recruits how to develope into MLB prospects. If we can show recruits that we cn help get them to the majors they will come despite the poor competition. Anythng sjprt of that and I think we will see NU baseball become just another Big 10 baseball team.:(

This is college ball....now that we're Big 10 it's northern league college ball.........Erstad's name recognition and experience combined with our facilities may bring in the recruits we desperately need. We need Jimmies and Joes...I think Erstad would be fine with the x's and o's. Who knows?

They must be seriously considering this for Sipple to print this preemptive strike article....Yeah, this may be a bit of a gamble but I've heard worse ideas; Darin is the kind of guy I wouldn't mind gambling on.

Has anybody even considered going after the guy that should of gotten the job instead of Anderson? Why not go after Childress? When he left things seemed to fall apart and he has already been here once. I'm not sure what his ties are to NU other than him being the pitching coach but if I were T.O. I would throw some cash at him and see what happens.

Big gamble, and here's something to think about: If it doesn't work out, how do you fire him? An alumni and million dollar donor?

You think TO sat on MA too long, what happens if Erstad doesn't get it done?

Has anybody even considered going after the guy that should of gotten the job instead of Anderson? Why not go after Childress? When he left things seemed to fall apart and he has already been here once. I'm not sure what his ties are to NU other than him being the pitching coach but if I were T.O. I would throw some cash at him and see what happens.

I have thought about it, would like to see it happen too. If it wasn't a move to the B1G we may have a chance but that complicates things too much IMO.

Big gamble, and here's something to think about: If it doesn't work out, how do you fire him? An alumni and million dollar donor?

You think TO sat on MA too long, what happens if Erstad doesn't get it done?

Interesting take and something to definitely think about. Hopefully he would just be the next Van Horn though. If that was the case it couldn't get much better for NU as I doubt he would be looking for greener ball fields so to speak.

Last edited:

What's the upside for Childress?

With the talent NU has coming back, they are in position to win, and win big in the Big 10. Instead of gambling on somebody who is learning on the fly, bring in somebody who can hit the ground running and coach!!!

An interview with Erstad from the 5/27 Huskerextra

http://huskerextra.com/sports/baseball/article_54d65652-1320-5b40-8e10-545cd53143c2.html

It would be silly to ask Darin Erstad whether he has interest in remaining with Nebraska's baseball program in some capacity.

Erstad, who spent this past season as the Huskers' volunteer coach, started bleeding Husker red before he first came to NU from Jamestown, N.D., in the fall of 1992. And he's not about to stop now — not even after seeing Mike Anderson, a coach, friend and mentor since 1994, get fired on Sunday.

See the rest at the link

Last edited:

I hadn't considered it because I doubt he would be interested. Childress went there because that's his home and it was his dream job.....similar to Van Horn going back to Arkansas.......similar to Erstad going back to Nebraska.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back