• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Since Osborne, what game was the lowest low?

I know it wasn’t post Osborne but the most crushed I have ever been as a Husker fan was 0-19 Arizona State in 96 I was 13 and literally thought Nebraska probably wouldn’t lose again in my lifetime

I was listening to that on the AM radio in my garage - it was the only place I could get any sort of husker network station in Texas - I think I finally locked in to 880 am. It was fuzzy but I could hear it well enough to know things went south.

We more than almost had that one. Odds of winning had to be 99.9%, at the point he had caught the ball, for the first down. Still can't believe the UT defender dove UNDER Nunn, to knock the ball out. He eschewed making the tackle, to gamble on forcing a fumble. It's as if he knew where the ball was GOING TO BE. It all happens so fast, it has to be instinctual.

You could also say that game was lost on the opening kickoff, where we gave up a LONG return, inside our own 10. Held UT to a FG, but had we had good coverage, outcome may have been different.

That game kind of was indicative of BC's strategy for bigger games...hang around, manage game, keep it close, and go for it in the 4th qtr.

The snow flurries in the 4th qtr that game was awesome.

Yeah, the snow coming in at the end was amazing. I wanted that win so badly. It was real painful.

I know it wasn’t post Osborne but the most crushed I have ever been as a Husker fan was 0-19 Arizona State in 96 I was 13 and literally thought Nebraska probably wouldn’t lose again in my lifetime
I was listening to that on the AM radio in my garage - it was the only place I could get any sort of husker network station in Texas - I think I finally locked in to 880 am. It was fuzzy but I could hear it well enough to know things went south.
I was in my last year of college, and the game would have been a complete shock to me except that my dad had been warning since the '95 ASU game that ASU would be looking for revenge in '96 with almost everybody returning and playing at home. I was watching another game in my apartment with my roommates when they started showing the "highlights" of ASU's first couple scores, and I had to leave my apartment to go find somewhere to watch the game as my roommates were not Nebraska fans, and I didn't want to live with the suspense of the game while moving amongst my enemies. The game was so lightly touted that I had to go to a couple of sports bars before I found a place that could show it. Watching the rest of the game was like watching an on-going 2-hour car crash. Our O-line was so bad, and Frost looked lost. Our defense was mostly good, but they had given up a couple big plays early, and the offense gave away 2 points at a time for the rest of the game.

That was painful to watch.

Fwiw, I felt almost the exact same way except that it wasn't possible for me to watch the car crash when Syracuse upset Nebraska in 1984. When A&M upset Solich's first team in '98, it was the same pattern, which I now look for: when a team curb-stomps another team at home one year with a senior-laden class, if the other team has a lot of returning players and a coach who is worth his salt, watch out the next year. Snyder at ASU said that in '96 that they had started preparing for Nebraska already at the end of '95 because he was so worried about getting blown out at home, which likely would have cost him his job. Fear of failure/humiliation is a powerful motivator in certain circumstances.

I know the game didn't mean much in the big scheme of things, but the Texas Tech beatdown in Lubbock was it for me. Even during the boat race in Boulder, I never felt like NU wasn't even threat and we really had to rely on the good will of an opposing coach to not give up 100 points. For four quarters I felt like most Kansas fans have felt for most of their football games since Nolan Cromwell's senior year. No shot. Please, not another touchdown.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back