• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Should underclassmen who opt-out of this season lose a season of eligibility or not?

I don't know how you could stop a player from opting out due to covid! I imagine the NCAA will grant extra year if player wants it. So many variables to football season this year!!!

This season would make for a good redshirt year for those who choose not to play. For players who have already redshirted though, this gets trickier. We may end up with what amounts to a lot of "6th year seniors" the next few seasons. There are also implications to consider with the 85 scholarship limit unless exceptions are granted.

No

You cannot force a kid to play under the circumstances if he believe among other things it could harm his long term health

Thus in my opinion, removing a year of eligibility would be unfair

Not disagreeing with you but this is far from the top of the list of things that are unfair.

No

You cannot force a kid to play under the circumstances if he believe among other things it could harm his long term health

Of course you cannot force anyone to play but that is not the question ... the NCAA extended eligibility for seniors from last season's spring sports ... but schools like Wisconsin categorically stated "time to move on".

The decision to play or not to play is the athletes choice ... the decision to extend eligibility, scholarships is subject to other people's decision making. Whether it is fair or not.

When people got laid off due to the economic shutdown ... no one is coming back to pay them missing wages. High school seniors who missed their proms, graduations and celebrations are not getting those opportunities back.

I personally believe the athletes under Scott Frost's care are collectively better off, safer and have access to much better care than they would on their own. I believe their risk of catching COVID is probably less in his managed bubble than outside his bubble. Even with games that are played.

If you do not want to play - great do not play ... very personal decision ... but life doesn't owe you anything; opt out at the risk of losing somethings along the way as well.

Last edited:
I think they keep their scholarship but I don’t expect programs will be able to offer them an additional year of eligibility. Those who don’t have a redshirt year available will most likely lose the year. It’s not fair, but neither is a pandemic. It’s just the reality of the numbers game.

I've seen a few arguments for and against. Any thoughts?

It's a great question and a tough one too. And it really it isn't limited to just underclassmen. I feel bad for the seniors who might just be reaching their prime or may have just earned the starting position with the graduation of last years players. This might have been their one chance to showcase their talents and even possibly put them on the radar as an NFL talent.

Whether they opt not to play because they have health concerns or whether the season gets cancelled, it will suck for them and also for us as fans since we will miss out on their contributions.
Could you imagine if Suh didn't play his senior season?

Last edited:
This season would make for a good redshirt year for those who choose not to play. For players who have already redshirted though, this gets trickier. We may end up with what amounts to a lot of "6th year seniors" the next few seasons. There are also implications to consider with the 85 scholarship limit unless exceptions are granted.
This is exactly what I have been thinking....CFB might be back to the 105 scholarship limit, if only temporarily.

Last edited:
It may make the most sense to just chalk it up to bad luck and tell them they obviously don’t have to play, but the clock keeps rolling. There are future classes to consider as well. There is a lot of bad luck going around right now, and that ranks pretty low on the grand scale.

No

Unless NCAA changes the rules again, five year eligibility clock starts when a student athlete enrolls.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back