• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Should NU go to CBI tournament if offered?

BurbankHusker

Recruit
2 Year Member
It would be nice to give the seniors more games, they broke their butts for us & maybe if the redshirts had played, they'd have been able to play in the NIT....

but on the other hand there's no prestige involved, especially if we lose, no one from b10 has ever played in it, & there could be no games at home cos the seats are being torn out of the Bob....

I believe a team must have a .500 record to qualify for any post-season tournament (unless an auto-bid in the NCAA Tournament). Nebraska has no chance.

Miles commented a short while ago that no Big Ten team had ever gone to a post-season tournament that wasn't the NIT or NCAA. He said he had no intention of being the first. So even if they were eligible, I don't think he would.

I believe a team must have a .500 record to qualify for any post-season tournament (unless an auto-bid in the NCAA Tournament). Nebraska has no chance.

I think is only for the NIT. I do know for sure a few teams have gone to the CBI with losing regular season records including Wash St last year. I'm not positive if that is officially a rule for the NIT either (It seems like it was but they discussed changing it, but with the NCAA in control, I'm not sure). At any rate, it probably doesn't matter for the NIT either way as NU is not making it short of a deep run in the B1G tourny. However, I'm not sure that the CBI would be too much of a stretch, especially with a win Thursday.

Miles commented a short while ago that no Big Ten team had ever gone to a post-season tournament that wasn't the NIT or NCAA. He said he had no intention of being the first. So even if they were eligible, I don't think he would.

http://journalstar.com/sports/huske...cle_b55c5c8b-588e-5ee3-81ba-ffa04901a77b.html

NU has submitted paperwork for both NIT and CBI. I know Miles said that a couple of weeks ago, but I believe NU would accept an invitation at this point

I think is only for the NIT. I do know for sure a few teams have gone to the CBI with losing regular season records including Wash St last year. I'm not positive if that is officially a rule for the NIT either (It seems like it was but they discussed changing it, but with the NCAA in control, I'm not sure). At any rate, it probably doesn't matter for the NIT either way as NU is not making it short of a deep run in the B1G tourny. However, I'm not sure that the CBI would be too much of a stretch, especially with a win Thursday.

Should have read the full article before posting as it actually answered the .500 rule

That also would be the only way Nebraska would crawl above .500, long thought to be a key to making the NIT.
Although the NIT never has taken an at-large team with a sub-.500 record, it eliminated in 2005 a written rule that said all teams must have winning records. The NIT is run by the NCAA and seeds teams, with higher seeds getting home games.

http://journalstar.com/sports/huske...cle_b55c5c8b-588e-5ee3-81ba-ffa04901a77b.html

NU has submitted paperwork for both NIT and CBI. I know Miles said that a couple of weeks ago, but I believe NU would accept an invitation at this point

I'm fine with going to the NIT, but I say no to the CBI. Miles wants to bring Nebraska up to a level of decency in the Big Ten. Is being the first team to accept a bid to a non-NCAA or non-NIT tournament going to do so?

Beyond that, we're so worn down we're still only pushing 6-7 guys. Miles will have to weigh how much benefit his team will get.

It won't bother me one way or the other. But I will be interested to hear the reasoning.

Why wouldn't you accept it? Who cares what others in the B1G do, or don't do! Extra games, extra practice time for your younger players and redshirts! Nebraska basketball is in no position to rest on Big 10 principals, thats for sure!!!

Last edited:
If they get an invitation to any post season tournament, I hope they accept it.

Why wouldn't you accept it? Who cares what others in the B1G do, or don't do! Extra games, extra practice time for your younger players and redshirts! Nebraska basketball is in no position to rest on Big 10 principals, thats for sure!!!

I really don't know much about the implications, but I think I agree with accepting any invitation, if the team and Coach Miles want to.

Nebraska's non-conference record is much better than conference (for obvious reasons) so they could even have a good showing.

In any event, rather than looking at it as diminishing the status of the program, I look at it as a reward for the team members that have put in a lot of hard work under a new coach to reach this point. For many, it will be the last time they ever wear Husker Red or play together for Coach Miles.

:gobigred:

I've heard that you essentially pay to be in the CBI....maybe that's only if you host.

Most years I would say "yes, go...get the extra game experience, practice, etc."

This year, unless it's NIT, I'd probably be inclined to say no. You only have 5 or 6 players. 1 is a Sr. that can hardly play. The other two seniors are probably pretty well spent...another game or two against the loyola-chicagos of the world aren't going to excite them. It's hardly worth the effort.

If this was next year I'd say play...anywhere...more players, more young guys, etc.

As for "we're too good for anything less than NIT"....wrong.

I stand corrected by the CBI .500 rule ... and it sounds like it's a flexible rule for the NIT (though never a sub-.500 team in history).

To me, it's pretty simple. If an invite is offered, take a vote of the players. I'm willing to be the players want to play.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back