• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Sell me on Sims > Haarberg.

I wouldn’t sell you on anything but we’ve seen this story before. I remember calling for McCaffery to start over Martinez; he was a disaster. Although, every QB would have been behind those offensive lines.

If we had a better QB I think he’d be starting. The coaches see these guys every day, I assume they know what they’re doing.

Have a pecking order going into the game, have a turnover, next man up. Sims is going to be a turnover machine until he is held accountable.
Do you think holding him accountable will change anything?

I think the dilemma these coaches have right now is whether they run the Zac Lee, try not to screw up offense, or let this guy go out and try to score points, knowing he will screw up, a lot.

Do you think holding him accountable will change anything?

I think the dilemma these coaches have right now is whether they run the Zac Lee, try not to screw up offense, or let this guy go out and try to score points, knowing he will screw up, a lot.
I do know at least if they use that system, it will cut his turnovers to 1 a game.

I do know at least if they use that system, it will cut his turnovers to 1 a game.
I hear ya, but either way, you're struggling to score points.

It's like going to the track and betting on the favorite every race or betting on a horse with long odds every race. At the end of the day, you'll probably come away with about the same amount of money. Or lack there of.

I hear ya, but either way, you're struggling to score points.

It's like going to the track and betting on the favorite every race or betting on a horse with long odds every race. At the end of the day, you'll probably come away with about the same amount of money. Or lack there of.
Yes, but at least there is a chance he will pull his head out of his ass, and realize he better take better care of the football if he wants to play. Right now they think it is a good thing he seems to be able to put turnovers behind him, and move on. I think it would be a better thing if he realized there were going to be repercussions for turnovers.

Agree.

And I’m guessing this is the conundrum—that Sims is a great practice player and HH is not. That puts the coach in a very tough spot if the former chokes on game day and the latter plays better under pressure.
That is a false dichotomy that our two options are Sims choking on game day and Haarberg playing better under pressure. Its most likely that Sims chokes on game day and Haarberg plays pretty much to the level he shows in practice (and in spring game).

I'm not pining for Sims over Haarberg or vice versa, just pointing out that we very well could be, and most likely are, in an even worse spot than if Haarberg played better on game day -> we really don't have anyone who can get it done consistently at QB in an actual game.

Yikes, I can't believe Haarberg and Purdy didn't hit the transfer portal. Smothers, Haarberg and Purdy are Rutgers quality....if that, do people really think that they are Big Ten caliber? Are we really hoping for Haarberg and Purdy to be the answers? Rhule inherited a trainwreck and it's his expertise to turn programs around, that's why he was hired. Trust him to do his job.
Rutgers QB has a 127 QBR, 350 yds passing, 2 TDs and 0 INTs. I would take Rutgers quality at this point.

And we are playing in the B1G, a conference that relishes in having strong defenses. To throw HH out there without adequately preparing him could cause irreparable harm to his development. It has seemed clear to me that Rhule and staff like what HH bring to the team. They are finding ways to get him in the game in different ways and have been giving him lots of reps since the spring.

He is still very raw. He is going to get opportunities this year, but he doesn't solve today's problems.
This kid is in his 3rd year of college, he is not a freshman. It is either time to play, switch positions, or drop down a level. It is no longer time to protect his development.

This kid is in his 3rd year of college, he is not a freshman. It is either time to play, switch positions, or drop down a level. It is no longer time to protect his development.
I'd agree if he came in and had been sitting as a backup for two straight years. This is a guy who wasn't even on the depth chart his first two seasons. It wasn't until his spring that he started getting meaningful reps at quarterback. He wasn't given time to develop during his first 2 years. No reason to compound that by throwing him to the wolves when he isn't ready.

We've never had trouble finding a running quarterback here at Nebraska.....we've had trouble finding a quarterback.

We've never had trouble finding a running quarterback here at Nebraska.....we've had trouble finding a quarterback.
I have a theory i’ve been thinking about. I think dual threat quarterbacks are fools gold. this isn't quite about jeff sims either. I think that having a dual threat quarterback in modern times is extremely overrated, and actually does more harm than good against talented or well coached teams. when last have we seen a qb who was better at running win at a high clip in the P5? Vince young?

for one, qb recruiting and development suffers because there's just not that many in the pool to have an effective backup with a "manageable" similar skillset for QB1, and then you end up having an unbalanced qb room. Then the qb1 loses a good chunk of his reps needed to develop passing to running the ball. All this is done in order to "make opposing defenses have to gameplan", but then you hurt your own qb room development in the process.

second, i think that because it is unique, you actually create the unintended consequence of making opposing defenses more focused on your offense and it's tendencies and nuances. while it is dynamic, the defense only needs to account for one extra running lane. that's not easy, but the added focus especially in big games just becomes a net disadvantage.

third is injuries. what dual quarterback in a defensively sound league has come through the season without missing at least a few games? i think this is exactly what has happened to Nebraska since zac taylor. if we want to have more success on offense, i don't think the answer will be a dual threat qb.

Agree. IDK why we weren't calling a more run-centric game with him in. Options, Zone reads, FB trab. Counters. Power.

When, on the first play of the season from our own 1 yd line, we ran a QB sneak for 5 yds, I thought, "Run it 19 more times."

But, alas, OC's value "balance" over all else. Balance alone is worth 21 points, isn't it?
Balance is what keeps them from moving players into the box. How are you supposed to run against that continually? It is one thing if you have a 90s line, completely different with our current line. We need to keep defenses honest.

Last edited:

That is a false dichotomy that our two options are Sims choking on game day and Haarberg playing better under pressure. Its most likely that Sims chokes on game day and Haarberg plays pretty much to the level he shows in practice (and in spring game).

I'm not pining for Sims over Haarberg or vice versa, just pointing out that we very well could be, and most likely are, in an even worse spot than if Haarberg played better on game day -> we really don't have anyone who can get it done consistently at QB in an actual game.

It wasn’t supposed to be a dichotomous premise, just a guess at one possible scenario, and that scenario is a real phenomenon in sports. I’ve seen it in basketball, for example, where shooters filling it up in practice can’t hit a shot in games and dudes you might not expect end up knocking down shots or making free throws when they’re needed.

Haarberg’s performance against CU was the first time he’s played D1 football at QB. It is our only sample. He was pedestrian to decent. That’s a lot better than the yips Sims had.

Keep in mind, I also think Sims is one of the most talented specimens we’ve ever had at QB. I get what the coaches are praying for. It’s obvious. The kid has crazy talent and seems pretty high character.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back