• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Scott Frost vs Herm Edwards

What I would like to know the impact of, and we can’t actually measure it is, how did the expectations everyone had of the two hires affect how the coaches went about their business? Did Herm take it as a challenge to hire the best staff, work harder and motivate more than he ever has before? Did SF, after drinking in the ovation of former players, rest on his laurels a bit and think “now I’ve arrived.”
I too am surprised at the end results, to this point.

I thought the Edwards hire was odd at the time. He sure has gotten them playing pretty well and they are in a different place vs the Huskers at the moment.

Wonder if Frost put a little too much faith in what he thought he could get out of the o-line and WR room without burning too many RS and it bit him in the butt? Now he's kind of stuck trying to make it work while trying to make a bowl and not have another disaster season on his hands. Made a heavy bet on the future and it's hurting a bunch in the present?

I don't know, but I am pretty shocked this team looks so bad right now. I thought sure they'd be humming along on offense at least.
Good point. Seems like there is some OL help coming. DL, not so sure?

1. ASU is getting into the tough part of their schedule and will start crapping the bed per usual

2.We may get a chance to play them in a bowl. We will lose.

3. I hate ASU and don’t like Herm
Yeah I think ASU loses to Utah on the road this week. But that is #17 vs #13. Good matchup.

Truly think Frost will have to adjust his philosophy some for the B1G. Feels like there was some arrogance in Frost thinking he was going to have the league adjust to his scheme. Just can’t see playing these smaller backs on a regular basis against the rugged B1G defenses. Not to mention when they go fast and don’t score it puts the defense on the field too long.

Still think they get to 6 or 7 wins.

Last edited:
To the OP, I understand the questioning and comparisons, it is something to definitely monitor over time. However, I see far more differences in situations that prevent 1:1 comparisons. We humans like to simplify situations based on a few variables, our brain prefers it because it reduces effort. But very rarely are simplistic explanations the most exact or accurate. Only once we start dissecting the intricacies of any hypothesis will we begin to develop a more in-depth understanding.

I was in the camp that thought Herm was at best a questionable hire, and at worst would be an absolute failure. We kept hearing about how far removed he was from the college game, his age, and how he wouldn't be able to relate to recruits or current players, et al. I honestly didn't expect ASU to be performing this well at this point and I was very wrong. But I think it's still very early to begin anointing anyone (not that the OP was, just in general). I also think it is an extremely tenuous endeavor to compare Herm's situation to Frost's for a multitude of reasons that I'm sure everyone can easily point out. I have a very general hypothesis of one variable that I believe is affecting this team's performance: pressure. I was going to post a response in this thread but it is long and I'd rather be scrutinized, criticized, and vilified in my own post as to not detract from this one :Biggrin:

What would Herm’a record be in the Big Ten? Apples and oranges.
I'm not sure I totally agree.

ASU beat Washington St, Cal and Michigan State ... lost to Colorado. Not bad performance. They've yet to play Utah, USC, Oregon so let's see how they end up. They could end up 8-4 or 7-5 yet this season. They were 7-6 last year.

Both seasons they beat Michigan State and coincidentally lost both seasons to Colorado.

Give Frost at least 2 more years, then have this discussion again. Nebraska is going to be good again and all the nay sayers can have their crow and choke on it, as I did with Minnesota. Have a little faith people, just a little.
Agreed. In 2 years, everyone will be talking about Frost and no one will be talking about Herm.

The Big Ten is the worst possible conference for turnarounds. It is exceedingly difficult. Which was the last team in the Big Ten to have these issues that turned things around and made it to the top for any sustained period?

I’ll be anxious to the hear the answer.

The power brokers in this league are the same ones as 10, 30, 50 years ago, and frost or no frost, NU ain’t joining that club in all likelihood. Ever.

I think the best we can hope for is 8-9 wins a year - sort of the Oklahoma State of the conference.
Wow, hello negative Nancy! Your first 2 sentences made sense; then it went off the rails.

We are still paying the price for the short-sighted decisions of FADSP. It may take 2 or more years from today to exorcise those demons. But we will get there, if we stay the course. We now know that a quick turnaround in the B1G is not as likely as it is in the AAC, where there's not as much competition and the teams aren't built the same way.

If HCSF is still coaching at NU 10 years from now (and if the game of football is still being played), I think people will look back and laugh at the defeatist attitudes that too many people are displaying today.

I think you judge the course of work after a 4 or 5 year period. Yes, I think it is more difficult in the BIG because line development is even more important. If there is something I question, it is the focus in recruiting as I do not understand why (it as least seemed) we focused on skill positions over line play. Love the guys that were brought in, but that puzzles me.

As for an example of a recent turnaround in the BIG, see Penn State after Paterno. What Bill O'Brien and James Franklin did there is nothing short of amazing. Yes, they did not fall as far as Nebraska but facing those penalties, not many would have been surprised if they had.

Last edited:

1. ASU is getting into the tough part of their schedule and will start crapping the bed per usual

2.We may get a chance to play them in a bowl. We will lose.

3. I hate ASU and don’t like Herm

Agree with #1.

I'm 50/50 on #2.

I triple dog agree with the bolded in #3. Always have...and it's my alma mater for grad school "you can take the boy out of Nebraska, but..."

Dantonio did it at Michigan State. Ferentz has done it at Iowa. People are pouting on the internet because Frost didn't turn it around overnight. I'd rather see the sustained success that Wisconsin has and that takes time.

Would our fan base be happy with MSU’s and Iowa’s records over the last decade? I think that’s achievable.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back