• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Scholarships to Walk-ons

FBWHEEL

Red Shirt
2 Year Member
Realize there are some discussions on other threads regarding walk on's getting scholarships but thought it would be worthy of its own thread. With the recent departures of a couple of those in the 2020 class isn't there now six if not seven or more scholarships to be awarded to get the limit to 85?

Here are my thoughts on who will be awarded.......

Eli Sullivan
Luke Reimer
Damian Jackson
Kade Warner

The last two (if more than four) could see Ty Chaffin, Trent Hixson, or Frost holding onto it during the season and awarding a walk on punter or kicker. Also, is Isaac Gifford now in line to have one for 2020 and not awaiting until 2021?

Realize Warner has been a topic of discussion given his father and means to pay but feel that should not be a deterrent.

Part of the problem is some of the scholarships we don't get back to use. Unless there is a waiver granted. For instance we won't get Francois' scholarship back, but they are trying to get a waiver for Gray, although that may simply be to adjust which class the scholly applies to.

Last edited:
I don’t think that’s accurate. We can still use Francois’ scholly to give away to a walk-on as the limit is 85. What we don’t get to do is open Francois’ “seat” on the 2020 class. With our new juco we are at 25 for 2020. If we get Gray’s back, we can use that “seat” in the 2021 class for a mid year enrollee, having it count against 2020. I believe you are conflating rules.

I don’t think that’s accurate. We can still use Francois’ scholly to give away to a walk-on as the limit is 85. What we don’t get to do is open Francois’ “seat” on the 2020 class. With our new juco we are at 25 for 2020. If we get Gray’s back, we can use that “seat” in the 2021 class for a mid year enrollee, having it count against 2020. I believe you are conflating rules.
That’s correct and my interpretation of the rules as well

It wouldn't surprise me at all if I was off on how I thought the scholarships would work. They are fairly cumbersome with how the class totals and team totals interact and then you throw in mid-year enrollees and reclassifications and it ends up taking an accountant.
:Eek:

Depends on when the cutoff is. A certain selfish QB burned a paid year for a walk-on by leaving in fall camp instead of after spring a couple years ago.

They might as well take Damien Jackson off the roster and add him as a “Grad Assistant Strength Coach” because thats essentially what he is. Wouldn’t give him a scholly when he doesn’t even contribute on special teams.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back