• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Satterfield

Satt hasn't been great . . . but he's in a tough spot with that abysmal OL and a really unremarkable receiver room. Along with a QB room that's pretty weak in all but the athleticism dept. I do agree that I'd like to see more creativity to use what little we've got more effectively. More quick-hitting RPO stuff, get some bootlegs/waggles and misdirection worked in to try to open things up for run/pass decisions and less "we're going to pound the rock without a line that can do that". Really hard to to much of anything when your line is constantly being destroyed.

I would have preferred a more creative mind at OC . . . but Rhule wanted Satt and he's not going aywhere. So I'll have to hope for improvement as they (hopefully) improve the roster in multiple areas.
The lack of talent in our WR room is shocking to say the least.

The lack of talent in our WR room is shocking to say the least.

I feel good about where our defense sits right now. This offseason, we need to go get at least 1, if not 2 QBs, and then we need versatile playmakers/WRs. Fidone needs to be utilized way more than what he is moving forward and they've got to find a way to get Coleman comfortable with a few different routes/plays to see if he can contribute. We also need to try and find at least 1-2 new starters for the OL.

I feel good about where our defense sits right now. This offseason, we need to go get at least 1, if not 2 QBs, and then we need versatile playmakers/WRs. Fidone needs to be utilized way more than what he is moving forward and they've got to find a way to get Coleman comfortable with a few different routes/plays to see if he can contribute. We also need to try and find at least 1-2 new starters for the OL.
It would be nice to get an elite freshman QB that can play here for 3-4 years. The entire offense needs help and we need more good young LB's on D.

That was the #2 team in the country. We aren't anywhere near the top 25. This game went about as I expected. Give it time.
It is a rebuild that won't happen overnight.
How different would all of the roles been if Jake Peetz didn't reverse field and return to rams? Satts picked up the slack.

Jeez we look like a peewee team whenever we get the ball. After getting stuffed in the middle for God knows how many times, Satterfield just kept right on calling those between the tackle handoffs for 1 yard.

We don't have a passing threat, so until we recruit better QBs it's on the OC to make something happen with the current roster. Our entire playbook seems to be Haarberg run, Grant up the middle, slant throw to Kemp. Rinse and repeat.
What would you suggest he call? I've seen a variety of plays run, many with limited success. Haarberg struggles to be accurate on long throws, so that wipes out a lot of our vertical threat. The times we have run the ball outside, we seem too slow and don't block well enough to turn that into a positive play. What magic play aren't we running that will suddenly turn this into a good offense?

I'm not asking this to be a jerk, I simply don't see any strength on our offense. Our O-line has been better this year than last, but they were among the worst in college football last season. They still struggle to pass block against pressure and while they are better with the run, they don't provide a significant push at the line or open large gaps to run. We are playing with a backup QB who was fourth or fifth on the depth chart a year ago. He is very green, and I think we've been fortunate that he has stepped in and play as well as he has. Our top two running backs are gone for the year, leaving the work primarily on one guy (who is still a very competent runner). Our receivers have struggled to create separation and we've seen quite a few dropped balls.

There have been very few play calls where I've been, "what in the world are we doing there?" We just struggle to make things happen. At a certain point, if that continues and we don't improve that is on the coaching staff, but for now I think it is just the struggle we've been left with.

Yeah, I think of the three, he's the most likely.
Staff has put a lot more faith in Haarberg than the previous regime did. The fact that he is a Nebraska kid and will have the ability to compete for a spot next year should be reason enough to stay. He lacks experience but has shown really good poise. He needs to keep developing, but that is the type of school we need to be. If we just keep flipping QBs from the portal every year, we aren't going to build anything sustainable. Yes, the portal is a good resource, but we also need to be able to take young guys, help them improve, and make them where they can compete at the highest level.

I'm not saying Haarberg is the answer, but he has shown some good things that you can build on. Given this season and another offseason, how much more can he improve?

Sims will be dependent on how the rest of this year goes. If the staff seems keen on making Haarberg their ride or die, I don't expect him to stay. That said, they seem to be handling his injury in a way that they want to bring him back, but only once he is healthy. They are trying to avoid what we did with Adrian for multiple years where you throw him back out on the field to play thru an injury and it never gets the chance to heal. The amount of snaps he is still reportedly getting in practice make me think they aren't done with him.

Staff has put a lot more faith in Haarberg than the previous regime did. The fact that he is a Nebraska kid and will have the ability to compete for a spot next year should be reason enough to stay. He lacks experience but has shown really good poise. He needs to keep developing, but that is the type of school we need to be. If we just keep flipping QBs from the portal every year, we aren't going to build anything sustainable. Yes, the portal is a good resource, but we also need to be able to take young guys, help them improve, and make them where they can compete at the highest level.

I'm not saying Haarberg is the answer, but he has shown some good things that you can build on. Given this season and another offseason, how much more can he improve?

Sims will be dependent on how the rest of this year goes. If the staff seems keen on making Haarberg their ride or die, I don't expect him to stay. That said, they seem to be handling his injury in a way that they want to bring him back, but only once he is healthy. They are trying to avoid what we did with Adrian for multiple years where you throw him back out on the field to play thru an injury and it never gets the chance to heal. The amount of snaps he is still reportedly getting in practice make me think they aren't done with him.
Regarding your last bit, I think above all else why we didn't have better back up qb play epitomizes much of our previous staff.

I bring this up only to reaffirm HHs being as green as he was, how little numbers at O line were recruited over the years.

I look at using the portal as adding a few finishing touches on a fine piece of work, but this staff had to use it to bolster depth, again, not a good look regarding past staff.

Patience will be required of a fan base who stretched their patience thin hoping for a home grown kid could revive us, and left us somewhat feeling betrayed and worn down in our enthusiasm.

Even so
GBR!!

It would be nice to get an elite freshman QB that can play here for 3-4 years. The entire offense needs help and we need more good young LB's on D.

We have good, young LBs on this defense. Gbayor, Chief, and Jimari Butler are sophomores playing significant snaps and then Javin Wright/Henrich/Bullock are juniors. We can build depth behind them with young players, but we don't need freshman playing snaps at LB necessarily.

Regarding an elite freshman QB... Raiola is not walking through that door and Kaelin is struggling against teams under the Friday night lights. Yes, those would be great to have but I am not banking on that guy walking in our door anytime soon. Most teams don't have guys like that for the record.

Regarding an elite freshman QB... Raiola is not walking through that door and Kaelin is struggling against teams under the Friday night lights. Yes, those would be great to have but I am not banking on that guy walking in our door anytime soon. Most teams don't have guys like that for the record.

Which is exactly why we need to find some elite QBs in the portal, which I've been saying since Sims' first game. I have faith that Rhule realizes this and already has names in mind.

Regarding your last bit, I think above all else why we didn't have better back up qb play epitomizes much of our previous staff.

I bring this up only to reaffirm HHs being as green as he was, how little numbers at O line were recruited over the years.

I look at using the portal as adding a few finishing touches on a fine piece of work, but this staff had to use it to bolster depth, again, not a good look regarding past staff.

Patience will be required of a fan base who stretched their patience thin hoping for a home grown kid could revive us, and left us somewhat feeling betrayed and worn down in our enthusiasm.

Even so
GBR!!
This is going to be a road of steady improvement. Try to get a to a bowl game this year. Maybe finish 7-5 next year. Try to get to 9 wins the year after that. It isn't a quick fix. It wasn't that last year's team was just poorly coached, it was poorly assembled and developed. Mickey and crew made the most of it, and we saw glimmers of what the defense could be and has been.

In defense of the previous staff (I won't say that often), I think we had more depth at QB. Smothers was improving and has done well at Jacksonville State. I'd agree, development as a whole was poor under the previous regime (and even really the one before it).

The complete negligence for O-Line improvement was one of the biggest issues from the previous staff. The O-line isn't haven't been a one or two year thing, its been a while since we've had that area as a strength. Jurgens was the best O-lineman we had in recent memory, and he had periods of time at Nebraska where he was terrible. He did develop enough toward the end to make it to the NFL, but I think you've seen him fly off the charts since moving up to the NFL.

Which is exactly why we need to find some elite QBs in the portal, which I've been saying since Sims' first game. I have faith that Rhule realizes this and already has names in mind.
How many truly elite portal QBs are there each year? How many portal guys seem like flame outs and end up going somewhere and doing really well?

Look at the PAC12- Bo Nix and Penix Jr. are two of the best QBs in the country, right now. Bo Nix at Auburn was a hot mess. He was a 60% completion guy who did more with his legs than his arm and made questionable decisions. He got to Oregon and suddenly is a 75% completion guy who could potentially be a Heisman darkhorse. Penix Jr. spent four years at Indiana and didn't do much. Goes to Washington, and looks like one of the best QBs in the country.

That was the hope with Sims. These portal guys are going to have their warts. You hope when you bring them in that the change of scenery will allow for that switch to be flipped. For every Nix and Penix Jr., there are a slew of guys who are who they showed previously.

The portal can be a solution, but I don't think it is best answer. Recruit and develop. Pull some guys from the portal as a supplement, and maybe you hit on some of them.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back