• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Sam McKewon questions the whole 'star' ratings of the services

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yup....look no further than Jerry Rice....from Mississippi Valley State to the NFL Hall-Of-Fame and I could go on and on....

Go through the an NFL roster.........look at the number of small schools players, including impact players. Ones that were never recruited heavily or had lots of stars that are now in the NFL. Its staggering. Also, the number of guys we have had over the years that were no stars or two stars or three stars, that out performed 4 or 5 stars or at least out performed more heavily rated players. Again staggering.........

Go through the an NFL roster.........look at the number of small schools players, including impact players. Ones that were never recruited heavily or had lots of stars that are now in the NFL. Its staggering. Also, the number of guys we have had over the years that were no stars or two stars or three stars, that out performed 4 or 5 stars or at least out performed more heavily rated players. Again staggering.........

NO. no. NO. I read it somewhere(HM) that if a 4-5 star guy doesn't perform at an elite level... it is a coach's fault. Specifically Bo.

:sarcastic:

NO. no. NO. I read it somewhere(HM) that if a 4-5 star guy doesn't perform at an elite level... it is a coach's fault. Specifically Bo.

:sarcastic:

Hahaha. This one got me laughing. Thanks.

Its some-what political and we both know that...you look at the ratings of the kids who have gone to Texas (for example) over the past 4-5 years and the ratings have been very inflated because the services 'dance' with certain schools and don't want to tork 'em off......and yeah Mac Brown is not a great coach....never has been....he won a title because Vice Young was a freak of nature at the college level who over came Mac's shot comings....but on the hole the kids he has gotten and those he has let leave the state (i.e. Rex Burkhead)....speaks volumes as to the political nature of the system....Texas I think has a problem with the whole way they recruit they want instant commits on the spot and to have their class wrapped up by the first game and I think that has hurt them when late bloomers etc. come along that they paid no attention too and then they try to sweep in with late offers as they did with Tommy Armstrong and even Adam Taylor once they realized he was healthy.....

Now I will agree that its a good starting point....as JJ said....but its not infallible...yet some people feast on it and live and die by it....with that being said I think our local Nebraska recruiting sites do a real good job and understand the nature of the 'beast'.....

Agree its a good starting point and if it were infallible Notre Dame would be in the top 10 every year.

This is why I don't get worked up about stars and the guys we go after. I trust that our coaches are making sound evaluations of the players and have made good contacts that they can trust. There are just to many kids for the services to get them all right and really know who the best are.

I just know that even locally here in Sioux City there are cases of kids that get over looked because high school coaches are not out selling the kids and telling colleges stories that are incorrect. That has an affect on things too. Don't get me wrong we don't get a lot of D-1 talent here, but still shows its hard to know everything about every player without having good sound contacts to depend and trust.

Certainly the rating a kid gets coming out of HS is no guarantee of success, either in the NFL or at the college level. The simple fact is that kids mature at different rates. The fully developed kid coming out of TX or CA at age 17 may well get passed up by the kid who had other options until he got the chance to play CFB.

Sometimes it's a matter of dedication. My sister dated a kid who signed with NU out of HS; one of the highest rated RBs in the state, yet once he got to college he simply no longer had the desire to put that much effort into playing the game against far more dedicated kids who made it their major focus in life. It still happens, far more often than any of us might think.

I appreciate the work that goes along with scouting and finding sleepers.

However, I don't understand the rationale of not going after the top recruits in the nation. Is it that we don't think it is a battle worth fighting? I never see Nebraska in the list of offers on guys that are top 50/100. Why? Don't we just offer some dudes on the spot?

Or are we going after them and not getting anywhere?

However, I don't understand the rationale of not going after the top recruits in the nation. Is it that we don't think it is a battle worth fighting? I never see Nebraska in the list of offers on guys that are top 50/100. Why? Don't we just offer some dudes on the spot?

After the Foster in espn's top 300 thread was started, I followed the link to the top 300 and opened the list link to about 10 uncommitted players in maybe the top 50 and 3 or 4 had Nebraska on their list of offers or interest. So we are going after about 33% based on that small sample. Obviously that proves little other than we are out there anyway.

Last edited:

We do offer the top kids....just look at some of the kids we got last year.....T, Newby, Taylor, Stanton etc....so that's not a correct statement....

Newby was a Top 100 guy last year....Stanton and Taylor were Top 250 guys and I could go on.....

Yeah we have gotten somewhere....a lot the last few years....

IMO some of these top players have a lot of baggage to go along with their stars. Some just don't fit our culture, others have grade issues, others just don't fit our system. I'd be willing to bet that if the #1 player in the nation was a pure drop-back passer (Manning type) and lived across the street from Memorial stadium he may not want to come here & we might not even offer.

IMO some of these top players have a lot of baggage to go along with their stars. Some just don't fit our culture, others have grade issues, others just don't fit our system. I'd be willing to bet that if the #1 player in the nation was a pure drop-back passer (Manning type) and lived across the street from Memorial stadium he may not want to come here & we might not even offer.

I completely agree with your statement...up to the last sentence...NU would be nuts not to offer (think of the fan response if he turned into the next Peyton Manning and they hadn't offered). I'd bet they would offer and if he signed they'd find a way to use him, maybe even making some major changes in the system...Beck would find a way to use that much talent.

Of course they offer them. All you have to do is look at the offer list on any of the top four recruiting sites and you'll find plenty of offers going out to the top recruits at most every position. OL alone, NU offered every one of the top eight OL in the country, four of the top ten DT QBs, six of the top twenty DTs, etc, etc.

You go after the kids that you believe you can sell the program to. If a kid expresses zero interest in your program it's flatly a waste of time and energy to try to convince them otherwise. It's far better to press the kids who have some interest.

We do offer the top kids....just look at some of the kids we got last year.....T, Newby, Taylor, Stanton etc....so that's not a correct statement....

Newby was a Top 100 guy last year....Stanton and Taylor were Top 250 guys and I could go on.....

Yeah we have gotten somewhere....a lot the last few years....

I would also add this staff lays out a plan and recruits according to the plan. A previous regime here would just take the top players available irregardless the position
and we ended up with some glaring holes on the roster. We were weak on linebackers and they have gone out and loaded up on linebackers. Now think you will see us loading up
on defensive linemen.

also, many of the top guys commit really early to schools that are nearby. With the amount of scouting this staff puts into each offer I'm guessing some kids are off the table before they even have chance to scout them. It's no different than foster, I'm guessing a lot of schools hadn't even scouted him when nebraska offered last year, and if he had committed on the spot many probably wouldn't have bothered going after him.

Last edited:

I would also add this staff lays out a plan and recruits according to the plan. A previous regime here would just take the top players available irregardless the position
and we ended up with some glaring holes on the roster. We were weak on linebackers and they have gone out and loaded up on linebackers. Now think you will see us loading up
on defensive linemen.

Thanks for the insight; makes sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back