• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Sal

Ogahusker

All Big 10
20 Year Member
Lots of references to the old "Sal is Dead, Go Big Red" story these days. This is what I know:

CU players and fans claimed there was a huge banner over I-80 that said SAL IS DEAD, GO BIG RED. Apparently, it was seen as the Colorado bus was heading to Lincoln for a football game.
Almost immediately, Nebraska Department of Roads officials claimed it was false.
No Nebraska fans or travelers saw any banner when they traveled on I-80.
The story from CU faithful has changed over the years. I have heard they saw the same signs in Lincoln and that it wasn't a banner, but a sign on the side of the road.

Personally, I don't believe the story. Never have. We are far from perfect as a fan base, but no way this happens in broad daylight.

If you want to talk about verifiable stories of $hittty fans, there are plenty of CU Buff fan storied to fill a library.

All that aside, what happened to Sal was tragic. It would be a shame if his death was used as a motivational tool.

I always remember hearing it was painted in the freeway. They are currently selling a tshirt with AM injured from the 2018 home game.

It was probably just one moron at the game with a handmade sign he was holding up, and the story grew from there.

I thought the roadsign story was where buff fans putting up a sign at an intersection for the Nebraska bus on their way home that said "losers turn right (left?) here". Pretty sure a player mentioned it in one of the papers

Last edited:
Lots of references to the old "Sal is Dead, Go Big Red" story these days. This is what I know:

CU players and fans claimed there was a huge banner over I-80 that said SAL IS DEAD, GO BIG RED. Apparently, it was seen as the Colorado bus was heading to Lincoln for a football game.
Almost immediately, Nebraska Department of Roads officials claimed it was false.
The story from CU faithful has changed over the years. I have heard they saw the same signs in Lincoln and that it wasn't a banner, but a sign on the side of the road.

Personally, I don't believe the story. Never have. We are far from perfect as a fan base, but no way this happens in broad daylight.

If you want to talk about verifiable stories of $hittty fans, there are plenty of CU Buff fan storied to fill a library.

All that aside, what happened to Sal was tragic. It would be a shame if his death was used as a motivational tool.
I had hoped I would never hear this story again. What a smear on the good name of Husker fandom.

Here's the truth. There was a sign -- NOT a banner and NOT "across I-80". I know this because I have a friend who, years later, sheepishly admitted that he was one of the idiot frat boys who put the sign up. It was a small sign, mounted on the fence on the edge of the right-of-way on I-80, somewhere west of Seward. But definitely big enough to be seen.

When he told me the story (in about '97?) I about beat the crap out of him. Fortunately, he quickly admitted how ashamed he was of that stunt.

It only takes one idiot to destroy the reputation of a great fan base.

I did see some Sal’s Ghost costumes in Barry’s in 1986 or so for that Halloween game.

As a UNL student, 1987-92, I clearly remember a very visible "Sal is Dead" sign in Memorial Stadium. I also recall "Sal is dead, go big red!" being a chant. Probably 1990 vs CU.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back