• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

RPI Tracking (+23 to 46th) (Updated after road series win against top25 Sparty)

Creighton doesn't have a single win this season against a top 100 RPI team.

Yep, thats why RPI is discounted come selection Monday time. Its fun to follow, but not near the tool it is for College Basketball. I've followed college baseball long enough to know that an RPI will keep you out of the tourney, but definitely not get you in. To me, Nebraska's resume is far, far more complete then Creightons, and Nebraska is not an at large team at this point.

Creighton does still have some high RPI teams left, including 3 at BYU in a couple of weeks, but otherwise they are where Nebraska is: Win the conference tourney to get in.

Yep, thats why RPI is discounted come selection Monday time. Its fun to follow, but not near the tool it is for College Basketball. I've followed college baseball long enough to know that an RPI will keep you out of the tourney, but definitely not get you in. To me, Nebraska's resume is far, far more complete then Creightons, and Nebraska is not an at large team at this point.

Creighton does still have some high RPI teams left, including 3 at BYU in a couple of weeks, but otherwise they are where Nebraska is: Win the conference tourney to get in.

RPI definitely is not always a good gauge of the quality of teams. You can play a tough schedule, but have a poor W-L record, and have a high RPI as a result (Loyola Marymount was this way). Or, you can play an easy schedule, win a lot of games, and also have a high RPI because of it (i.e. Creighton).

Creighton currently has the 95th most difficult schedule. Only 3 teams ahead of them have a worse SOS.

Bryant has an RPI of 26. Bryant?! Who the heck is Bryant?!? They have the nation's 153rd ranked schedule. But they are 20-6. Thus, the high RPI.

Well, that was an absolute disaster week going 0-4. The good news is we only dropped 8 spots to 84th. The problem is as all of us have said, we aren't winning anything if our pitching doesn't get the walks figured out. Our bats can only carry us so far. We play Kansas State this week (150th) and Nicholls State (227). This is an important last half of the month for the Husker baseball team. They can either figure it out and get things rolling, or end the season like they did last year and make things pretty uncomfortable for the coaches.

B1G top 100
21. Minnesota
28. Michigan
37. Maryland
46. Michigan State
61. Rutgers
86. Nebraska
92. Penn State
95. Illinois
100. Iowa

Notables
31. Charleston
32. Creighton
54. Long Beach State
63. Tulane
87. San Diego
94. Indiana State
109. Loyola Marymount
150. Kansas State
171. Wichita State
190. Kansas
202. Nebraska-Omaha

Well, that was an absolute disaster week going 0-4. The good news is we only dropped 8 spots to 84th. The problem is as all of us have said, we aren't winning anything if our pitching doesn't get the walks figured out. Our bats can only carry us so far. We play Kansas State this week (150th) and Nicholls State (227). This is an important last half of the month for the Husker baseball team. They can either figure it out and get things rolling, or end the season like they did last year and make things pretty uncomfortable for the coaches.

B1G top 100
21. Minnesota
28. Michigan
37. Maryland
46. Michigan State
61. Rutgers
86. Nebraska
92. Penn State
95. Illinois
100. Iowa

Notables
31. Charleston
32. Creighton
54. Long Beach State
63. Tulane
87. San Diego
94. Indiana State
109. Loyola Marymount
150. Kansas State
171. Wichita State
190. Kansas
202. Nebraska-Omaha

We need to keep in mind that this isn't a pitching thing, or coach silva thing, but a Darin Erstad thing. This is year 5, the stench of the Mike Anderson era is long gone, and all the players and coaches are a direct product of Erstad.

I read on another board about replacing silva, personally, I'd replace somebody else. This isn't the pitchers problem, or Silvas problem, or the bat boys problem, or the clerk at the front desk of the visitors hotels problem. If Erstad doesn't at the very least make a regional this year, Eichorst needs to grow a pair and do what needs to be done.

So we took 2 of 3 from Rutgers who was ranked higher than us in RPI and beat Kansas so we were 3-1 on the week. Looking ahead we have two huge B1G weekends with Michigan State in East Lansing (4th in conference and 54th RPI) and Indiana at Hawks Field (2nd in conference and 128th RPI). We can really shuffle up the rankings with those two series but also have a Penn State series who is ranked 104th and 7th in the conference. Obviously we can slide up quite a bit or down depending on how things go. Did we turn a corner this weekend where you could argue we should have went 3-0? Or are we going to have the second straight year where we struggle down the stretch? All I know is TD Ameritrade is a pretty fun spot for the conference tournament when the baseball team is in contention.

B1G Standings (1-100)
24. Minnesota
25. Michigan
47. Maryland
54. Michigan State
69. Nebraska
77. Rutgers
91. Illinois

100. Ohio State
104. Penn State
106. Iowa

Notables
21. Creighton
32. Arizona
33. Tulane
46. Long Beach State
74. College of Charleston
84. Indiana State
96. Loyola Marymount
115. San Diego
136. Kansas State
190. Kansas

191. Nebraska-Omaha
274. Northern Colorado

*already played
*upcoming

Last edited:
So we took 2 of 3 from Rutgers who was ranked higher than us in RPI and beat Kansas so we were 3-1 on the week. Looking ahead we have two huge B1G weekends with Michigan State in East Lansing (4th in conference and 54th RPI) and Indiana at Hawks Field (2nd in conference and 128th RPI). We can really shuffle up the rankings with those two series but also have a Penn State series who is ranked 104th and 7th in the conference. Obviously we can slide up quite a bit or down depending on how things go. Did we turn a corner this weekend where you could argue we should have went 3-0? Or are we going to have the second straight year where we struggle down the stretch? All I know is TD Ameritrade is a pretty fun spot for the conference tournament when the baseball team is in contention.

It's tough to say whether we turned a corner, but the makings are there to start being more consistent. The starting pitching was good this weekend and the hitting was great yesterday. Here comes the captain obvious statement...consistency is going to be the key going forward. Don't try to do too much...just be consistent. Once the consistency becomes a habit, then dominant can follow.

We need to keep in mind that this isn't a pitching thing, or coach silva thing, but a Darin Erstad thing. This is year 5, the stench of the Mike Anderson era is long gone, and all the players and coaches are a direct product of Erstad.

I read on another board about replacing silva, personally, I'd replace somebody else. This isn't the pitchers problem, or Silvas problem, or the bat boys problem, or the clerk at the front desk of the visitors hotels problem. If Erstad doesn't at the very least make a regional this year, Eichorst needs to grow a pair and do what needs to be done.

Sorry, FC, but Silva has to take some of the brunt. Silva's bullpen is not up to par, period. :(

For gods sake shut up already. You've been agitating for Erstad to be fired since the day he was hired. Nobody really cares what your opinion of Erstad is anymore.

For gods sake shut up already. You've been agitating for Erstad to be fired since the day he was hired. Nobody really cares what your opinion of Erstad is anymore.

Hey man, can you go tell SoCalRed the same in the recruiting forum?

Yea, Mr. Erstad fan, he's done SO MUCH in 4 complete years. You can have him, I wouldn't use him to coach my sons travel team.

I just wanted a baseball coach hired, thats all. But I guess that was asking too much.

Last edited:

And actually, people do care, the grumbling is getting louder. Even the media is starting to lift its "untouchable" status off of Erstad. Note Sam McKewons tweet last weekend....

B1G Standings (1-100)
24. Minnesota
25. Michigan
47. Maryland
54. Michigan State
72. Nebraska
77. Rutgers
91. Illinois

100. Ohio State
104. Penn State
106. Iowa

Notables
21. Creighton
32. Arizona
33. Tulane
46. Long Beach State
74. College of Charleston
84. Indiana State
96. Loyola Marymount
115. San Diego
136. Kansas State
190. Kansas

191. Nebraska-Omaha
274. Northern Colorado

*already played
*upcoming

7 of our 9 conference wins are against the bottom 3 teams in the conference. The other two wins are against the #9 team in the conference. Praise Erstad.

7 of our 9 conference wins are against the bottom 3 teams in the conference. The other two wins are against the #9 team in the conference. Praise Erstad.

I guess we will see at the end of May... definitely needs to finish top 3 in conference or have a solid showing at the conference tournament in Omaha.

But two conference series wins against current top 100 RPI teams isn't anything to neglect unless there's an agenda involved.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back