• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Rivalry week...

Status
Not open for further replies.

This is the way of the world now. We don't have Oklahoma. Texas does not have A&M. Kansas does not have Missouri.

Well, we've played Iowa during Rivalry week for years before y'all joined the conference. So I say, enjoy the corporate sponsored manufactured rivalry game. At least for me.

I'm to the point of almost boycotting the Iowa game. Not because of Iowa, but because of the snobby, ridiculous Husker fans.

GET

OFF

YOUR

HIGH

HORSE

I really hope before Tom Osborne retires, he sets aside a special section in Memorial Stadium for all the blue hairs and malcontents who won't shut the hell up about Oklahoma being our one-and-only love.

Don't get me wrong; I enjoy playing the Sooners. But some of our fans act like it's their God-given right to play in Norman every other year. They act like if they just ignore other teams long enough, maybe Oklahoma will come back. Maybe if we close our eyes and pretend that we're not here, Iowa won't notice us and we can avoid getting trapped into some fake rivalry with anyone other than Oklahoma.

Unless Oklahoma gets a Big Ten invite, those days are gone. Relish the past, enjoy the memories. But please stop complaining about every team on our schedule not being Oklahoma. It's getting old.

:deadhorse::soapbox:

I'm to the point of almost boycotting the Iowa game. Not because of Iowa, but because of the snobby, ridiculous Husker fans.

GET

OFF

YOUR

HIGH

HORSE

I really hope before Tom Osborne retires, he sets aside a special section in Memorial Stadium for all the blue hairs and malcontents who won't shut the hell up about Oklahoma being our one-and-only love.

Don't get me wrong; I enjoy playing the Sooners. But some of our fans act like it's their God-given right to play in Norman every other year. They act like if they just ignore other teams long enough, maybe Oklahoma will come back. Maybe if we close our eyes and pretend that we're not here, Iowa won't notice us and we can avoid getting trapped into some fake rivalry with anyone other than Oklahoma.

Unless Oklahoma gets a Big Ten invite, those days are gone. Relish the past, enjoy the memories. But please stop complaining about every team on our schedule not being Oklahoma. It's getting old.

:deadhorse::soapbox:

This isn't about what Oklahoma was. This is about what Iowa isn't.

This isn't about what Oklahoma was. This is about what Iowa isn't.

I could believe that if we hadn't done the same thing with Colorado. Or KState. Or Missouri. Or Iowa State.

Nebraska has this "Holier Than Thou" mentality whenever another team wants to call us a rival. I'm not saying that we suddenly make every Legends team a "rival," but I'm perfectly fine with Iowa being a rival for our team. Heck, whenever we beat them we get a trophy, right?

Many people fondly remembered the 100+ year affair that Nebraska and Kansas had. And that was a COMPLETELY lopsided ordeal. Nebraska dominated that "rivalry" pretty darn well if I remember. So why can't we call Iowa a rival?

I could believe that if we hadn't done the same thing with Colorado. Or KState. Or Missouri. Or Iowa State.

Nebraska has this "Holier Than Thou" mentality whenever another team wants to call us a rival. I'm not saying that we suddenly make every Legends team a "rival," but I'm perfectly fine with Iowa being a rival for our team. Heck, whenever we beat them we get a trophy, right?

Many people fondly remembered the 100+ year affair that Nebraska and Kansas had. And that was a COMPLETELY lopsided ordeal. Nebraska dominated that "rivalry" pretty darn well if I remember. So why can't we call Iowa a rival?

Because they are not a rival. Rivals have a certain level of respect and also animosity. Those things are formed over years of hard fought games that mean something. You look forward to a rivalry game with anticipation and reigned in hatred for your rival. That isn't manufactured by simply playing the last game of the season and attaching a lame trophy to the game. Intense rivalries are one of the cornerstones of college football and even when its not one the national scene cares about like Arizona/Arizona State, its very important locally. Iowa may become this at some point but it isn't there now. There is debate on whether Colorado was ever a true rival, but that game had more elements of the definition than Iowa does at this point. Call it a rivalry if you want to but it certainly isn't one to me.

We need to win a game to get to the CCG and this one is more than winnable....lets take the Heroes Trophy go home....watch Wisconsin hopefully lose and get ready for Indy....:)

We need to win a game to get to the CCG and this one is more than winnable....lets take the Heroes Trophy go home....watch Wisconsin hopefully lose and get ready for Indy....:)

Wouldn't it be great if Iowa beat us and caused us not to go to the CCG? Then maybe the seed of rivalry can be planted.;)

Last edited:

I have to admit I'm more interested in seeing how the East/West bowl shakes out.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/gODZzSOelss" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back