• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

RIP Gerry Gray

BigRedMax

Administrator
Staff member
20 Year Member
I received an email from Gerry Gray's son Guy that Gerry passed away on December 15th.

Gerry was a one of a kind Husker fan with a huge heart. He spent decades promoting the Huskers with his radio shows and fund raisers including Hunt with the Huskers. He was also a great supporter of Husker Salute.

Gerry was a friend for many years and I have been a guest on his radio shows on multiple occasions. The last time I saw him was the week of the Wisconsin game this year. Donna and I were driving by his office and decided to drop in. Really glad we got that last visit in.

Gerry created many fund raising events like Hunt with the Huskers and never took a dime of the proceeds. He had everyone make out checks directly to the charities such as Teammates, Team Jack and others. His rolodex of former Huskers was extensive and they all took his calls. I remember getting a call from Gerry after Scott Frost agreed to appear at the Hunt with the Huskers along with Tom Osborne last year. He was so excited that Scott agreed to help promote Teammates and make that personal appearance. It was held in a snow storm and Scott teased Gerry about maybe for the next year having a golf tournament in January.

Gerry will be greatly missed by his family and the entire Husker community. He was truly one of a kind and a true Nebraskan. I am really going to miss him.

I will post funeral arrangements as they become available. My condolences to his friends and family.

Edit: Memorial service is this Saturday, January 4th at the Field Club of Omaha from 12-4.

Last edited:

Courtesy of Gerry's good friend Neil Nelkin here are some pictures from that Hunt with the Huskers last year.

Gerry and Scott

gerry_gray_scott_frost.jpg

Gerry and Matt Davison

gerry_gray_matt_davison.jpg

Gerry and former Huskers

gerry_gray_former_huskers.jpg

Another note from Neil Nelkin;

Gerry Gray, longtime producer of the Great Outdoor Radio Show I host, recently passed away. Please join former Husker football standout, Dr. Rob Zatechka, and I for a tribute to Gerry on this week’s Great Outdoor Radio Show. Calls (and stories) are welcome. The show airs LIVE Saturday from 9-10 a.m. on Omaha-based Boomer Radio: 94.5 FM, 97.3 FM, 106.5 FM, 1490 AM, 1420 AM, on Alexa and at www.MyBoomerRadio.com The show phone number is 402.553.1490

I received an email from Gerry Gray's son Guy that Gerry passed away on December 15th.

Gerry was a one of a kind Husker fan with a huge heart. He spent decades promoting the Huskers with his radio shows and fund raisers including Hunt with the Huskers. He was also a great supporter of Husker Salute.

Gerry was a friend for many years and I have been a guest on his radio shows on multiple occasions. The last time I saw him was the week of the Wisconsin game this year. Donna and I were driving by his office and decided to drop in. Really glad we got that last visit in.

Gerry created many fund raising events like Hunt with the Huskers and never took a dime of the proceeds. He had everyone make out checks directly to the charities such as Teammates, Team Jack and others. His rolodex of former Huskers was extensive and they all took his calls. I remember getting a call from Gerry after Scott Frost agreed to appear at the Hunt with the Huskers along with Tom Osborne last year. He was so excited that Scott agreed to help promote Teammates and make that personal appearance. It was held in a snow storm and Scott teased Gerry about maybe for the next year having a golf tournament in January.

Gerry will be greatly missed by his family and the entire Husker community. He was truly one of a kind and a true Nebraskan. I am really going to miss him.

I will post funeral arrangements as they become available. My condolences to his friends and family.

Sorry for the loss of your friend, Max. It sounds as if Gerry was a tremendous person and friend.

Always sad to hear this kind of news.

Fortunately, Huskers never die. We just go to that Triple Option in the sky.

Gerry was a good man and a family friend. When the blizzard of 75 hit Omaha my parents were in Hawaii and Gerry knew I was taking care of My younger sister (14) and younger brother(11). He let my parents know how bad the blizzard was and that he was going to have us stay with him. The storm hit so fast by the time we left for their house it took about an hour to go 10 blocks to his house. He will always have a soft spot in my heart, as an 18 year old I was grateful he thought of us and we didn't have weather the storm at home alone.

His celebration of Life will be held at the Field Club of Omaha on Saturday, January 4, 2019 from 12-4pm. The Field Club’s address is listed below.

Field Club of Omaha
3615 Woolworth Avenue
Omaha Nebraska 68105
(402) 345-6343

Here's the link to the podcast remembering Gerry Gray hosted by Greg Wagner, Neil Nelkin and Rob Zatechka.

From today's OWH.

Gray, Gerald G. October 15, 1937 - December 17, 2019 Omaha. Gerald "Gerry" Gene Gray, died on December 17, 2019 at his home in Omaha. Gerry was born on October 15, 1937 in Minot, ND. Survived by children, Guy Gray and Kristi, Alison (Gray) Bynum and Matt; four grandchildren: Spencer, Lauren, Ethan and Addison; and sister, Mary (Gray) Frasier. Gerry was the owner of Great Plains Marketing where he was the producer for the Great Outdoor Radio Show and Husker Insider Radio Shows. Gerry was both an avid hunter, golfer and Nebraska Cornhusker fan. He was known for his generosity for fundraising through such events as "Hunt with the Huskers."

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back