• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Ridiculous arguments in recruiting.

Lately particularly in the Fidone thread people are making an issue out of the fact that one strike against us is that we recently moved a highly rated TE to center. So Let us lay out a few facts.

1. It is safe to say that most kids play college ball with the hope of making it to the NFL and having a decent length of career.
2. TE are becoming more and more irrelevant in the NFL and therefore have among the shortest careers. While OL have the longest careers.
3. NFL teams on average carry 2-3 TE, 10-15 OL
4. DE/OLB do not carry more than TE but...They get paid a lot more. and have longer careers.

I say all this to point out that sometimes you are talking a great athlete out of making decisions that will hurt them and guiding them to things that give them a better chance at success.

A few years ago I had this very conversation with the parents of a kid I was coaching. Kid was huge. As a OL he drove kids 5-10 yards down field. As a DL he was unblockable. He wanted to play RB. As a RB he was kind of like Suh. He could get 2 yards because he was just that strong. He never had long runs because he was too slow. I got them too listen by the end of the year. Kid was spotted in a bowl game drive blocking a kid 20 yards down field. Two coaches from an all star team asked to talk to his parents after the game.

My point is giving a kid what they want, is often killing their chances of advancing as a player.

I get your point and they are all good except for #2. I think TE is actually seeing a resurgence in the NFL. The 6'5"-6'6" 250 lb TE that can run decent and catch is highly coveted. They all look the same. Gronk, Kelce, Kittle, Fant, Whitten, Olsen are all very similar.

Let me clarify a little bit here. This is NOT the first time I have heard this argument. There have been several players over the years that I here this about. Jake Cotton should have been on the DL, SJB should have stayed a WR. On and on. Coaches do not make these moves lightly. They measure what is good for the kid and what is good for the team.

All these people claim to be TO fans. Heck TO moved people offense to defense and visa versa all the time. Some of our best LB came to Lincoln as a QB.
SJB turned out solid as a CB. I always wondered why he didn't stick as a WR.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back