• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Rex Burkhead return: Diamond formation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red Crawdad

Varsity
15 Year Member
One thing that wasn't really noted with Rex back in the game was the ability of NU to run the diamond formation. I love this formation as it has all three weapons (Ameer, Rex, and Heard) on the field at the same time. We ran it twice in the second half, both for big gains (one called back by penalty). The big off-tackle run by Heard down to the Iowa 6 was set up by beautiful blocks by both Rex and Ameer.

This will be yet another wrinkle Wisconsin has to prepare for.

Last edited:

One thing that wasn't really noted with Rex back in the game was the ability of NU to run the diamond formation. I love this formation as it has all three weapons (Ameer, Rex, and Heard) on the field at the same time. We ran it twice in the second half, both for big gains (one called back by penalty). The big off-tackle run by Heard down to the Iowa 6 was set up by beautiful blocks by both Rex and Ameer.

^^ LIKE!

You be wise. I saw the same. We must be the most football-savvy guys on this board, yes?

They could run that play nearly every down and that wouldn't bother me.

Yes, we definitely need to employ this formation much more than it's been run. I'm a little disappointed in how we've been so limited in play calling. There are many more formations and running plays than the half dozen we seem to be stuck with.

OK, OK, it's not the true diamond. But it's the 3 IB set that everyone, including announcers, has called the diamond. The flanking IBs have just moved closer to the LOS.

I believe we called it the Ace formation under Osborne, right?

That I don't know but Barney said the coaches refer to it as the Bone formation at a Big Red Breakfast awhile back. That's the only reason I know that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back