• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Rewatched 2018 Michigan State Game

Our defense had everything it could possibly have going for it that day.

Horrible weather that would make any offense look poor against any defense.

Michigan State playing their backup QB, who was the equivalent of OSU's Joe Bauserman. Rocky Lombardi threw at a 44.4% completion rate in five games last season. He was horrible -- even against shoddy opponents like Rutgers.

Michigan State was rated #108 in total offense last season. And that was with a reasonably adequate QB for a bit over half the season. Even worse with the Rocky behind center.

Unfortunately, that game was not at all representative of our defense last season. About that only thing I've seen worse this decade was the Diaco crap show of 2017.

I have little to no concern that Nebraska's offense can be a pinball machine. But until we put an above-average (doesn't have to be spectacular) defense on the field, we'll resemble a Pac-12/AAC/MWC/Big West team that can put a lot of points on the scoreboard but gets absolutely manhandled against superior competition that wins games in the trenches. Our 97th ranked defense isn't going to cut it -- thank goodness for the circumstances against MSU that kept us from being #100 or lower.

Last edited:

If we can get solid play across the board from all 4 LB positions--they don't need to be all-conference, but that wouldn't hurt--we're going to have an excellent defense this fall. Our D-line was a weakness last year, and it will be a strength this year, and that makes everybody else better.
Right right on, right on and right on! Don't get all the negatism about this years D before they've played a single down. Anyone really believe Frost isn't capable of improving this years team on both side of the ball? There were many reasons why the D was subpar last season imo. Some of the major reasons were learning a new system, injuries and the stench of a terrible 2017. We had a lot of players that hadn't bought into the new coaches and program changes. All combined to have the D just not playing well the majority of the season.

We're going to have a lights out secondary and greatly improved defensive line play. If the D can just be servicable we're going to win at least 8 or 9 games. We'll get a good idea early on with the Colorado game because they have a very good QB and all world receiver! I believe that's going to be a much tougher game then many believe. I'll be happy with ANY win in Bolder and want to start conference play undefeated.

Bottom line I believe our defense will step up in 2019 and greatly improve over last season.......

Last edited:
The Michigan State game was fun to watch, but not really a true indicator of much of anything really.

If the 2019 defense can shave a touchdown off of the 'Points Allowed Per Game' statistic the 2018 squad had, dropping from 31.2 to 24.2, this team at least doubles it's win total.

Is that possible with the personnel losses and influx of youth? IMO, yes. They're not going to be anything close to resembling a shut down defense but I doubt they'll look much like the 2018 version either. One or two more drives a game ends in a punt or a turnover for the opposition and you're changing the game.

I don't believe anyone is "blindly optimistic." Most understand that, if nothing else, a full year in the new system will greatly benefit returning defensive players. The secondary play is likely going to be outstanding and the DL has been greatly improved with the addition of Darrion Daniels. LB seems to be the weakest position, but we have a budding All-BIG with Barry, along with several other potentially strong starters...though not much depth. All in all, absent a huge hit by the injury bug, significant defensive improvement seems likely.
You pretty much said everything that I was planning to say in response to @David3464 before I read what you wrote. Injuries could be catastrophic with such a lack of depth at key positions, but our D-line went from being our greatest defensive weakness a year ago to potentially our greatest strength this fall. I've been the one telling people to tamper their expectations in most prediction threads, but apparently I'm suddenly "blindly optimistic" when I say something positive that David doesn't agree with. That's good to know.

You pretty much said everything that I was planning to say in response to @David3464 before I read what you wrote. Injuries could be catastrophic with such a lack of depth at key positions, but our D-line went from being our greatest defensive weakness a year ago to potentially our greatest strength this fall. I've been the one telling people to tamper their expectations in most prediction threads, but apparently I'm suddenly "blindly optimistic" when I say something positive that David doesn't agree with. That's good to know.
Well it's pretty obvious you're guzzling Kool-aide from a 55 gallon drum... :Rolleyes::Lol:

Well it's pretty obvious you're guzzling Kool-aide from a 55 gallon drum... :Rolleyes::Lol:
I can't tell if your emoticon is rolling his eyes at me or at David? I think that we're likely to finish somewhere between 8-4 and 10-2, depending on injuries, but there isn't a B1G team that we play that A) we can't beat, and B) can't beat us.

I can't tell if your emoticon is rolling his eyes at me or at David? I think that we're likely to finish somewhere between 8-4 and 10-2, depending on injuries, but there isn't a B1G team that we play that A) we can't beat, and B) can't beat us.
I agree with most of what you've said on this subject..... it was more a tongue in cheek response but not meant in a negative way!

Analyze that game all you want. Most of it was pretty ugly under brutal conditions the likes o which most of our players had probably never played in before. Imperfections aside, the team showed grit and character that we haven’t seen from an entire Husker team throughout an entire game in years. That team showed the will to win.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back