• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Requesting Prayers for my Wife (updated 2023 - see p. 78)

I've always held fast that God will only give us what we can handle and it's up to us to rise to the challenge, I pray your challenge is in getting the insurance company to fulfill their obligation and continue to provide the support necessary to continue in Steph's rehab. But know that when the time comes that Steph will come home, I have no doubt that you will surprise yourself at how able you are to provide what the staff wasn't. Continued prayers EvK

STEPHANIE STOOD TODAY! (Yes, it was with a lot of assistance -- 2 people helped her up and then she was "holding on to the bar for dear life") It's been exactly THREE MONTHS since the last time she stood! And she didn't get sick today either, and finished almost all of her supper.

I thought I should share the GREAT news first. In other news, we are finding out that the facility / admin are pulling shenanigans -- with Steph's care and with insurance. Lying to us... All we want is proper care / therapy for Steph -- and communication -- but we are getting lies and cover-ups. We were supposed to have a care planning meeting today, but (probably due to me pushing the administrator for action) instead we got ambushed by the case worker saying that insurance wants her released next Wednesday. This, according to rehab, is "because she hasn't made sufficient progress". So we were on a call with insurance for almost 2 hours -- and the stories aren't adding up.

So we are REQUESTING PRAYERS!
1. That Steph is able to get the proper care that she needs (home care would be a huge challenge at this point; in spite of their failures, the PT in acute rehab is her best chance of improvement at this point).
2. That the staff doesn't retaliate against Steph for our fighting for her.
3. That God would make clear the best paths for us to take regarding next steps (legal, etc.)

I am excited with the progress that we are seeing with Steph. The fact that she stood for the first time in three months. What a long, winding, bumpy road foryou both. Praise God that through it ALK he has been there every step of the way and continues to be along side you.

I know if I were you I would be fighting every step of the way for my wife as well. God will also fight this next battle for you as well.
Father God, we are very thankful to you for the healing and progress that we have seen thus far. I had joy in my heart when Elwood mentioned that Steph was able to stand. I know you will restore total health to her.

We as brothers and sisters stand together with Elwood and Steph. We pray that she continues to get the care that she needs in the facility. Open up compassion and your love into the hearts of those who are taking care of Steph. I also pray that their insurance company does the right thing here as well.

Father, shine your light in this dark world and make the direction that Elwood needs to go easy for him. Equip him with everything that he needs with what is going on. I have never met this family but love them as you have loved us God. We hurt when this family hurts. May your will be done.

Amen

Last edited:
On Friday, Steph wheeled herself (in wheelchair) all the way to rehab, and all the way back afterwards. More progress! Also, we got a Patient Advocate (independent rep) involved; we (Steph, her sister, myself) were in a conference call with the patient advocate and the case manager from Southern Crescent. I think (and hope & pray) that we will start seeing some positive action on Steph's case as a result.

Another interesting finding was that SC TBI and Emory LTACH are apparently run by the same people... We were suspicious when some of the same providers were present at both places. And more suspicious when the other two acute rehab facilities that we had tried to get Steph into (and both of whom gave initial authorization for her admission) suddenly weren't approved (upon word from Emory). And SC TBI was "the only place where she can get in" ...

Continuing to Fight for Steph -- all according to God's plan...

Another interesting finding was that SC TBI and Emory LTACH are apparently run by the same people... We were suspicious when some of the same providers were present at both places. And more suspicious when the other two acute rehab facilities that we had tried to get Steph into (and both of whom gave initial authorization for her admission) suddenly weren't approved (upon word from Emory). And SC TBI was "the only place where she can get in" ...

Pondering and Thinking animated emoticon

On Friday, Steph wheeled herself (in wheelchair) all the way to rehab, and all the way back afterwards. More progress! Also, we got a Patient Advocate (independent rep) involved; we (Steph, her sister, myself) were in a conference call with the patient advocate and the case manager from Southern Crescent. I think (and hope & pray) that we will start seeing some positive action on Steph's case as a result.

Great news about the progress. We have more praying for you in Kansas.

Follow the money.

Thanks be to God for these small victories. Prays continue for you both.

from my experiences with Emory, it seems like they are intertwined in a lot of things. Especially with the other hospitals that they are linked with like Grady.

Thanks be to God for these small victories. Prays continue for you both.

from my experiences with Emory, it seems like they are intertwined in a lot of things. Especially with the other hospitals that they are linked with like Grady.

The Emory LTACH is the former Dekalb Decatur LTACH. The name "Emory" carries a good reputation, but many of the personnel have carried over from the previous management. And I'm far from knowing who's who in either case, who can be trusted, etc. There is just a whole lot of shadiness, and it has put a bad taste in our mouths.

The best thing we could have done is get the patient advocate involved. Beyond that, I / we have been contemplating getting local news stations involved, further legal action, etc. Continuing to pray for guidance.

ASKING FOR PRAYERS for Steph. She has been getting light-headed when she turns on her side. We thought she might have over-exerted over the last couple days; yesterday she was wheeling herself down the hall and back. But we want her to get checked out to make sure she's not having other problems. Nurse is not being attentive (as usual). Just now she finally agreed to put Steph on Oxygen. Steph's SpO2 was getting into the upper 80's; nurse would tell her to take some deep breaths, then when her SpO2 came back into the 90's, she would log it down. We're trying to determine if she needs to go to hospital tonight, or if we can wait 'til tomorrow.

ASKING FOR PRAYERS for Steph. She has been getting light-headed when she turns on her side. We thought she might have over-exerted over the last couple days; yesterday she was wheeling herself down the hall and back. But we want her to get checked out to make sure she's not having other problems. Nurse is not being attentive (as usual). Just now she finally agreed to put Steph on Oxygen. Steph's SpO2 was getting into the upper 80's; nurse would tell her to take some deep breaths, then when her SpO2 came back into the 90's, she would log it down. We're trying to determine if she needs to go to hospital tonight, or if we can wait 'til tomorrow.
Prayers for continued healing for Steph & understanding, discernment and patience for all concerned.

We pray in the name of Jesus that Elwood and Steph would have the discernment to know without a doubt where she should be and that she would continue to feel your healing touch.

They gave Steph O2 overnight, and her SpO2 has stayed up in the 90's. She slept OK and was feeling OK this morning. PT came to do PT in her bed so she wouldn't have to get up. She hasn't turned on her side yet today, so no news on whether that's still making her light-headed. We are trying to get her in for a chest X-ray today. God has a plan (but we're still trying to figure it out).

Elwood, you need to contact a friend who is an attorney and have him/her with you at every subsequent meeting you have. Introduce him/her as your counsel of record. These people seem to be playing with stacked deck,so you need to protect yourself and especially Steph . The attorney will scare them straight even if you don’t plan on any litigation. You’re her advocate so you gotta get mad and play by their rules. Good luck and so happy to hear that Steph is doing better.

Steph got the X-ray at almost 1700. Won't know the results until probably tomorrow (if they had gotten on it earlier, we would know by now). At least the NP was more sympathetic with her this afternoon, saying she's been through a lot, and "we're learning more about COVID recovery all the time." I wish they could have acknowledged this earlier -- and that Stephanie (as someone recovering from COVID-19 / ARDS / being immobile for 90 days) needs a different plan of care than the typical brain injury patient...

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back