• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Remembering Fred Hare (MBB 1964/66)

Red Don

Tiger
Staff member
10 Year Member
Husker MBB 1964/66. Beat #1 Michigan when he blindly flipped the ball backwards over his head as the buzzer sounded.

It has been nearly 60 years since they played the greatest basketball game I ever saw. A persisting ghost from that game still lives in my attic, loosely pressed between the pages of a variegated and wrinkled game program.

However, this story is not about that snowy December night in 1964 when Nebraska sophomore guard Fred Hare blindly flipped the ball backwards over his head as the buzzer sounded, giving the Huskers a 74-73 upset win over No 1 ranked Michigan and their near-mythical All-American Player of the Year, Cazzie Russell.
No, this story is about the rest of Fred Hare's life that ended on October 2, 2014, at the age of 69.

The Link Below is a "Don't Miss" interview by Husker Hoops Central's, Dav Brandon if you appreciate Husker Hoops History with a touch of Nostalgia. :Mfclap::Mfclap::Mfclap:

"A 6’2” “jack of all trades” forward from Omaha, Hare led the Huskers in scoring (15.2 PPG) and rebounding (7.4 RPG) in 1965, and later went onto a storied career with several of the Harlem teams (Clowns, Magicians, Aces, and Globetrotters)."

"...during that whole week, it was in the Lincoln Journal as “the night of the Wolverines.” But that last shot, it wasn’t designated that I shoot it. I told Grant (Simmons) to take the ball out, and I told him that I was, “Going to pretend that the game is over since we only have 2 seconds left, and I’m just going to drop my hands and walk toward the Michigan basket and act like I’m disgusted.”

And that’s the only way I knew to shake that guy (Russell), because he was guarding me so tough all night that they couldn’t hardly get the ball to me."

Husker MBB 1964/66. Beat #1 Michigan when he blindly flipped the ball backwards over his head as the buzzer sounded.

The Link Below is a "Don't Miss" interview by Husker Hoops Central's, Dav Brandon if you appreciate Husker Hoops History with a touch of Nostalgia. :Mfclap::Mfclap::Mfclap:

"A 6’2” “jack of all trades” forward from Omaha, Hare led the Huskers in scoring (15.2 PPG) and rebounding (7.4 RPG) in 1965, and later went onto a storied career with several of the Harlem teams (Clowns, Magicians, Aces, and Globetrotters)."

"...during that whole week, it was in the Lincoln Journal as “the night of the Wolverines.” But that last shot, it wasn’t designated that I shoot it. I told Grant (Simmons) to take the ball out, and I told him that I was, “Going to pretend that the game is over since we only have 2 seconds left, and I’m just going to drop my hands and walk toward the Michigan basket and act like I’m disgusted.”

And that’s the only way I knew to shake that guy (Russell), because he was guarding me so tough all night that they couldn’t hardly get the ball to me."
For the next year at the playgrounds we all practiced that shot!

WOW what a life. I never liked playing in the Coliseum when it was an open gym either -- always too cold.

One thing I noticed and appreciated at this years' State Track Meet was that there was an Omaha Tech banner with their championships listed. Appreciating the past is important, especially in sports.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back