• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Rejected Tom Osborne Tributes

Status
Not open for further replies.

I am so glad I will get to experience this moment in Husker History in person.

if anyone wants to make money tomorrow, sell husker red Kleenex....there will be at least 86000 tears shed inside the stadium and millions more from those at home.

I'm getting a little choked up thinking about the gravity of the words "Tom Osborne's last football game (again...for real, this time) at Memorial Stadium" as a part of the program. Nebraska and Tom Osborne together is the only thing I've known in my life. Even during the Solich years, I knew he was still there in everything regarding the program, even if he wasn't physically on the field. Then the 'sacred hoop' was broken. His return in 2007 was the only thing that could have happened to reconnect it. He repaired and reunited a deeply fractured and divided Husker Nation...restored our faith, our pride, our dignity, our place in college football...and secured our long-term viability and legacy by guiding us into a conference that fits our values, our culture, and our position among College Football's elite.

There is no more T.O. safety net if something goes wrong in the future. As Husker Fans, we must carry on the legacy that Tom, and Bob before that, left us. If we ever have a big problem or decision to make...WWTOD? Keep that in your minds. He always showed us the blueprint for how to treat people, represent Nebraska...and how to run a winning football program with honor and high standards, without It would serve us well to reflect on those lessons often and educate the next generation of fans with his wisdom as we continue to enjoy his legacy every Saturday in the fall.

I am so glad I will get to experience this moment in Husker History in person.

if anyone wants to make money tomorrow, sell husker red Kleenex....there will be at least 86000 tears shed inside the stadium and millions more from those at home.

I'm getting a little choked up thinking about the gravity of the words "Tom Osborne's last football game (again...for real, this time) at Memorial Stadium" as a part of the program. Nebraska and Tom Osborne together is the only thing I've known in my life. Even during the Solich years, I knew he was still there in everything regarding the program, even if he wasn't physically on the field. Then the 'sacred hoop' was broken. His return in 2007 was the only thing that could have happened to reconnect it. He repaired and reunited a deeply fractured and divided Husker Nation...restored our faith, our pride, our dignity, our place in college football...and secured our long-term viability and legacy by guiding us into a conference that fits our values, our culture, and our position among College Football's elite.

There is no more T.O. safety net if something goes wrong in the future. As Husker Fans, we must carry on the legacy that Tom, and Bob before that, left us. If we ever have a big problem or decision to make...WWTOD? Keep that in your minds. He always showed us the blueprint for how to treat people, represent Nebraska...and how to run a winning football program with honor and high standards, without It would serve us well to reflect on those lessons often and educate the next generation of fans with his wisdom as we continue to enjoy his legacy every Saturday in the fall.

Beautiful comment...and I agree on all points.

Great read, Dave. Not everyone will get the humor in the paragraph about Joyce and the Sidetrack Band unless they've actually heard those songs! :eek: :lol:

Sent the rejected tributes to a buddy.

Here's his reply followed by mine...

During the game on Saturday, have the offense run nothing but option to the short side of the field, fullback traps, and two play-action passes to a wide open tight end. Just like the old days, Nebraska scores 80 on Minnesota.

This one gets my vote. Retro!!!

jn

That one wasn't much of a joke.

Check out 1983. (And '84 and '89)

http://www.huskermax.com/allgames/1980s.html

We're a little downhearted at being one of the rejected ideas. Tom has never been around (what a surprise) but his brother came every game day for about 20 years and Devaney was known to stop by.

Funny stuff, Dave. It was a surreal atmosphere in the stadium yesterday. Osborne walking out one last time with the team was something I'll always remember. One of the coolest moments, other than the game, was when Scott Frost spoke his tribute to T.O. I swear you could hear a pin drop in the stadium.

Seems Coach is a little upset they didn't use any of your suggestions...

CoachTom.jpg

Last edited:

We're a little downhearted at being one of the rejected ideas. Tom has never been around (what a surprise) but his brother came every game day for about 20 years and Devaney was known to stop by.

I did not know it was possible for the Sidetrack Band to be downhearted. I've got nothing but love for Paul, Joyce, & Co., and I'm counting the days until the Friday before the first game next fall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back