• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Refs

Well, the only solution for lack of accountability and consequences is simply accountability and consequences.
Agreed but what is the punishment? Suspension, fired? Who replaces the fired officials, lower level officials?

I'm not trying to be difficult, but some make this seem like an easy fix. Until the human element is removed from officiating, you will have human mistakes. Baseball to me seems like the only major sport that could get away with not having human or atleast in person officiating/Umpiring.

There had been talk about full time college officials, more time for training might help. Humans will be human there isn't anything that can be done about that.

Agreed but what is the punishment? Suspension, fired? Who replaces the fired officials, lower level officials?

I'm not trying to be difficult, but some make this seem like an easy fix. Until the human element is removed from officiating, you will have human mistakes. Baseball to me seems like the only major sport that could get away with not having human or atleast in person officiating/Umpiring.

There had been talk about full time college officials, more time for training might help. Humans will be human there isn't anything that can be done about that.
2½ yards on a spot after replay. Quality assurance is to place more eyes on a situation to better quality.

These apes should never build a house, change a tire, cut a piece of wood let alone drive to a game, 2½ yards?

Play that back in court

Last edited:

Again, being human is one thing, but a pattern of favoritism towards certain teams is another. another Thing about being human is, once there’s a will, there will be a way. even if it’s not 100% perfect.

MLB: Centralized replay. Take replay out of the hands of the fools who made the initial mistake, who would be inherently biased to make the same mistake when the review it.
Never understood that, Why would you allow the person who messed up to look at the replay? Most people will by human nature tend to say, "nay, I got it right!" if there is the slightest ability to do so.

I have actually done clinical research on behavioral bias and humans are just hard wired to see what they want to see in certain circumstances and will not let those observations go, its wild.
Great post!! A man hears/sees what he wants to see/hear and disregards the rest! I believe that was a line in the song The Boxer by Simon and Garfunkel. lol

Again, being human is one thing, but a pattern of favoritism towards certain teams is another. another Thing about being human is, once there’s a will, there will be a way. even if it’s not 100% perfect.

I can believe inept, I have a hard time believing favoritism at this level of football.

When the guy never makes the forty, the replay is out because they spotted it wrong and gave him the thirty nine, and it was actually the thirty eight and a half, the replay shows it was the thirty eight and a half, after the replay its set at the forty one.

There's something wrong, its almost as if these are cries for help.
That's how I saw it 97 rows up. The spotting of the ball seems to be problematic

I have a neighbor who works for the ACC and he's made comments that they have a hard time finding enough refs who're simply qualified to work college level games much less to pick and chose which ones to keep and throw out.

I believe that. At our local HS game this past Friday, they advertised over the PA system for people to become certified to Ref at that level as there are not enough at the current time.

I believe that. At our local HS game this past Friday, they advertised over the PA system for people to become certified to Ref at that level as there are not enough at the current time.
They are doing that everywhere and for every sport. I did high school basketball for 15 years. It's just not worth the hassle. Youth and high school are even worse. Every parent should have to officiate some type of game, go through the training, take the test, then take the abuse. NCAA stuff is a little different but the officials have to start somewhere and most start at the youth level and work their way up as they get experience.

With billions being tossed around to coaches and NIL that affords players to drive 200k cars perhaps it’s time to GREATLY raise officals pay at the college level. Pay enough and you’ll have no shortage of refs imo.

With billions being tossed around to coaches and NIL that affords players to drive 200k cars perhaps it’s time to GREATLY raise officals pay at the college level. Pay enough and you’ll have no shortage of refs imo.
Paying more like a full time job would help.

I think they do as good a job as they can, and they do not enter a game at the college level with a bias (I feel differently about the pros because officials and players in the pros see each other often).

I have found that calls that I thought were close on replays turned out to be close and it depended upon what angle you took (i.e., what camera was being viewed) it could be a foul or not. The official of course had only one angle.

I like that most of the time the officials gather together and double check that one didn't see something different from the one who called the foul. They have pulled the flag after those calls occasionally.

They are doing a much better job than I could, and I suspect a much better job than an untrained couch potato could, so only when it is egregious do I think they get it wrong. And that might, just might, happen once a game.

I stopped yelling at officials after I became one. Not football, basketball, but same none the less. They are going to have bad games no doubt about it. Pretty soon there is going to be 1 or 2 dudes out there setting the ball down and AI will be calling the penalties. Still don't know why some guy is behind the plate in baseball calling balls and strikes.

Human officials will have human errors, if you want the game to last all day then get replay involved more, if you don't then I guess we will have to live with what we have, humans.
Not an official here, but have helped coach sports, and that gave me a renewed appreciation for officials. They take a ton of crap, a lot of which isn't even justified (people complain about calls that don't go their way regardless of whether it is the right call). I've heard awful things hurled at officials (and that is just at the middle/high school level). It is a thankless job and you have people that often don't know what they are talking about complaining about everything you do.

Officials are going to get things wrong. They got some stuff wrong on Saturday (but we actually benefitted from a few of those). This stuff balances itself out. I don't think officiating is getting that much worse, we just have more technology to go back and prove them wrong.

And anyone that thinks the B1G officials are bad, must have mentally suppressed our final few years in the Big XII.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back