• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Recruiting: The Hunt for Defensive Linemen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red Reign

Husker Immortal
15 Year Member
A no-brainer obviousley.....:) I think we have more than a remote chance with Russell...so i disagree with Sam....Johnson I think the chances are slim....

NU is charging hard after a handful of junior-college defensive tackles, two of whom are coveted by many programs.

The first: Hutchinson (Kan.) Community College nose tackle Toby Johnson.

The second target is Trinty Valley (Texas) Community College tackle Quincy Russell, a former Texas commit who’s looking hard at Big 12 schools plus Nebraska. He’s been keeping touch with Husker coaches John Papuchis and Rick Kaczenski through Facebook.

If Russell ever makes an official visit to Lincoln, Nebraska has a remote chance. Otherwise, NU may be looking more toward California junior-college prospects to fill needs.

Read the details here: http://sports.omaha.com/2012/09/13/recruiting-the-hunt-for-defensive-linemen/

Interesting....Toby Johnson is going to try to make an OV to Nebraska next weekend....maybe he sees a real opportunity....:) Guess we will see....

Last edited:
We could use both Johnson and Russell. The staff needs to put the full court press on for both of these young men.

I agree....I think we have a real shot at Russell....Johnson I don't know about...this OV may help us....I hope so....and FWIW they are recruiting both very hard....

We could use both Johnson and Russell. The staff needs to put the full court press on for both of these young men.

Playing time should factor for both especially being JUCO's but I really like our chances with Russell a tad more.

Me too as you already know....but hey if we can convince Toby how much we need him....it would be huge....as we both know...

Playing time should factor for both especially being JUCO's but I really like our chances with Russell a tad more.

Me too as you already know....but hey if we can convince Toby how much we need him....it would be huge....as we both know...

The fact that he is trying to get here soon makes me think he understands our situation and our sense of urgency.

Haven't had the time to follow recruiting like I used to. So are either of these two December grads? That would be a huge help to them in learning the system.

Russell is a December 2012 grad....3 to play 2 recruit....

Johnson is also a Decmeber 2012 grad.....3 to play 2 recruit too....

So yes both will be on campus early which is huge for us at the postion...

Haven't had the time to follow recruiting like I used to. So are either of these two December grads? That would be a huge help to them in learning the system.

I don't believe we need 2 JUCO DTs. One really good or great one would suffice. A mediocre one does nothing for us. Two so-so DTs do not improve our situation in my opinion.

What we really need is a JUCO DE. That is the position that I see as the greatest JUCO need (outside of TE).

If we can snag both Johnson and Russell I would take them....Johnson is the best JUCO DT in the country and perhaps the best JUCO recruit period...Russell is no slouch...he was a Texas commit out of high school...so that says something....

As for DT we have a HS commit....so I could see taking just one....

Honestly with Rome now gone, i'd take two JC DT's and two JC DE's if available. It's a HUGE hole.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back