• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Recruiting Moneyball - 3 star recruits

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwoods

Nebraska Alum Class of 2001
5 Year Member
Pretty interesting read. http://247sports.com/Article/Recruiting-Moneyball-winning-with-3-star-talent-36697715

I am going to say something honest here that most of my peers in the recruiting industry will not tell you- it is a myth that you can’t win at the Power 5 level in college football recruiting classes with up to 90 percent of your class rated three stars.

I mean, it’s absolute hogwash. It’s recruiting industry Pravda and anyone who says otherwise really hasn’t looked at the facts.

There are three-stars that are “value†threes who many really feel could end up being great at the college level and playing in the NFL, there are “in-between†threes who end up being role players in college (that should be two stars, which these days is wrongfully interpreted as being “bad†or “average†by prospects, parents and even the media) and there are “get you fired†three stars- guys that are good high school players that may have impressed someone somewhere at a camp or something, but who lack the ability to play college football. Recruit too many “get you fired†three stars and if you are a coaching staff, that’s exactly what is going to happen. But that doesn’t need to occur. Coaches just have to recruit smarter and many do, but many don’t.

One of my takeaways from the article is that the love of football should weigh into the decision to offer a particular recruit if all else is the same. As stated, a lot of talented kids don't love the game, they love the attention that the game has brought them.

Great article. One lower rated player that comes to mind from the glory days is Barron Miles. Did not have elite size, but he did have elite speed, (He used to take the ball off the punters foot not just block it), good twitch speed, and loved football so much that when the NFL ignored him he went up to the CFL and became the all time leader in interceptions. IMPO he is the best corner we ever had.

Great article. One lower rated player that comes to mind from the glory days is Barron Miles. Did not have elite size, but he did have elite speed, (He used to take the ball off the punters foot not just block it), good twitch speed, and loved football so much that when the NFL ignored him he went up to the CFL and became the all time leader in interceptions. IMPO he is the best corner we ever had.

Good reference. Barron Miles was one of my favorite players growing up. Dude was a beast and made more than his fair share of plays.

This was a great read. I noticed Gunderson also tweeted this out a while ago and commented it was worth reading.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back