• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Recruiting during shelter in place

Kwajsker

Scout Team
How is our staff going about recruiting during this time? How should they? How is it on the recruit's side?

I would guess, in the absence of spring ball, most coaches spent more time on recruiting than normal for this time of year. What else are you going to do? So how are our coaches approaching this? Daily calls/texts, weekly edits and digital content, and anything else?

Or maybe it isn't much different than most years during this time. l just gotta wonder how many times a staff can go over their big board before it gets a little too monotonous.

How is our staff going about recruiting during this time? How should they? How is it on the recruit's side?

I would guess, in the absence of spring ball, most coaches spent more time on recruiting than normal for this time of year. What else are you going to do? So how are our coaches approaching this? Daily calls/texts, weekly edits and digital content, and anything else?

Or maybe it isn't much different than most years during this time. l just gotta wonder how many times a staff can go over their big board before it gets a little too monotonous.
Social media, phone/video calls where it's at right now. Any and all ways within that realm to keep that relationship building going.

Pretty much the same, but what I find interesting is the pre-evaluations, everyone is catching up to everyone. No one is doing spring practices right now so it's all about recruiting, self-scouting, and gameplans.

That said, we will see what happens as a lot of the football players are coming back to Lincoln to workout right now.

Pretty much the same, but what I find interesting is the pre-evaluations, everyone is catching up to everyone. No one is doing spring practices right now so it's all about recruiting, self-scouting, and gameplans.

That said, we will see what happens as a lot of the football players are coming back to Lincoln to workout right now.
Students are returning to Lincoln to work out? That's some interesting info. I had heard that maybe 1/3 of the players were around Lincoln but not working out on campus because facilities were closed.

Students are returning to Lincoln to work out? That's some interesting info. I had heard that maybe 1/3 of the players were around Lincoln but not working out on campus because facilities were closed.
Obviously we can't force them to, but we were getting worried about the guys that can't workout or can't get proper food. But yes, we are back and working out in Lincoln if the kids want to be.

Obviously we can't force them to, but we were getting worried about the guys that can't workout or can't get proper food. But yes, we are back and working out in Lincoln if the kids want to be.

When you say "worried" what exactly do you mean? I am sure every coach is worried that their team is going to show back up out of shape in major ways. Is that the concern at its most basic level?

When you say "worried" what exactly do you mean? I am sure every coach is worried that their team is going to show back up out of shape in major ways. Is that the concern at its most basic level?
I mean, ya, you have guys that go back to how they were eating before they got here because they are back home. Not enough, too much Raising Canes, etc. Then you have guys that don't workout if they aren't being held accountable. Stuff like that.

But then you get into the philosophical part of it where a coach sits and asks himself, if these guys are working out, where are they doing it? And do they still have a gym open somewhere. Wouldn't it be better if they were somewhere that we knew was cleaned properly, that the people working out with them are screened, etc.? So part of it is safety of the athlete too. Florida is getting hit hard with the Rona' right now. So get them up here if you can. But with that said, I feel like we are overlooking that some people have it and have zero symptoms. There's a risk/reward here, and there's a 90% chance we will be fine. 10% chance we could look extremely idiotic though to the nation if an outbreak happens while other places are locked down completely.

I mean, ya, you have guys that go back to how they were eating before they got here because they are back home. Not enough, too much Raising Canes, etc. Then you have guys that don't workout if they aren't being held accountable. Stuff like that.

But then you get into the philosophical part of it where a coach sits and asks himself, if these guys are working out, where are they doing it? And do they still have a gym open somewhere. Wouldn't it be better if they were somewhere that we knew was cleaned properly, that the people working out with them are screened, etc.? So part of it is safety of the athlete too. Florida is getting hit hard with the Rona' right now. So get them up here if you can. But with that said, I feel like we are overlooking that some people have it and have zero symptoms. There's a risk/reward here, and there's a 90% chance we will be fine. 10% chance we could look extremely idiotic though to the nation if an outbreak happens while other places are locked down completely.
I would rather people be here with such support all around them, but the risk if we import a number of cases probably has the administration and its lawyers on edge. I'd rather have them here, but I am sure it has to be the family's decision. We can say "You'll be safer here, and the nutrition/work out/education support is here, too."

I would rather people be here with such support all around them, but the risk if we import a number of cases probably has the administration and its lawyers on edge. I'd rather have them here, but I am sure it has to be the family's decision. We can say "You'll be safer here, and the nutrition/work out/education support is here, too."
Ya, us not making it mandatory probably saves us from any lawsuit. And i'm sure the staff has vetted it out more than I have. I just find it interesting that we are pretty much the only ones doing it that I know of. For some reason I feel like we wouldn't be the only ones to think about this, so why did we jump on the train to do it?

It'll all be fine, just an interesting time to be doing it with the peak coming in the state.

Ya, us not making it mandatory probably saves us from any lawsuit. And i'm sure the staff has vetted it out more than I have. I just find it interesting that we are pretty much the only ones doing it that I know of. For some reason I feel like we wouldn't be the only ones to think about this, so why did we jump on the train to do it?

It'll all be fine, just an interesting time to be doing it with the peak coming in the state.
I started another thread in "other teams', but Gundy at OSU has certainly thought of it.

Gundy is a lot more public about it, as well. Seems like it at least.

I wonder if a lot of these conversations are happening behind the scenes on many teams. Target dates for return, emphasis on testing players who come back, etc.

There are probably many who would want this kind of thing for the whole country. Move healthy people to areas where the outbreak is less and test every single one of them. Monitor them extremely closely with very specific plans for anyone who gets sick. It could be a really interesting case study...but that is certainly not the point.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back