• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Recruit expectations question

Status
Not open for further replies.

NavyWarrant

Red Shirt
10 Year Member
Reading the article about Darlington's father got me to thinking about the relationships our coaching staff is building with high school coaches. In the past I have read posts about how the staff has given a recruit specific things to work on and areas to improve. My question to the people who have coached high school ball is, how do you handle a "star" recruit if the workout plan a recruit is given is different from what your school uses? Do you tweak your teaching methods? What type of communication happens between the college staff and high school staf of a recruit?

Reading the article about Darlington's father got me to thinking about the relationships our coaching staff is building with high school coaches. In the past I have read posts about how the staff has given a recruit specific things to work on and areas to improve. My question to the people who have coached high school ball is, how do you handle a "star" recruit if the workout plan a recruit is given is different from what your school uses? Do you tweak your teaching methods? What type of communication happens between the college staff and high school staf of a recruit?

Good question. I've never coached but would imagine the "workout plan" would have been discussed, or even developed, by the coaches from NU in consultation with the HS coach - that would make sense in terms of both the player's needs and the NU coaches relationship with the HS coach. Working together would reinforce their relationship.

Let's see what really happens - any HS coaches want to respond?

I've coached for 4 years now and we haven't had any D1 signees but we've had 5 kids go D2 and several more go NAIA. College coaches are actually a huge asset to our staff, everything from ideas on game planning to X's and O's to drills to talent evaluation, and on and on. Coaches develop relationships with coaches, they never know when they will be back your way looking for talent. You never know when you will need a resource that is only a phone call away.

I was not aware that the coaches gave out training plans to athletes until they have signed a LOI. By that point, their football eligibility is exhausted, so there should not be a problem unless they are involved in track or baseball. I'm sure the Nebraska coaches would work with the high school coaches regarding a start date for the training, if a conflict with another sport exists.

Thanks for the insight!! From your response, I see it is a good opportunity to network. I have read where people say they know the staff want a certain recruit to develop a certain technique or skill set. Why wait until the kid is on campus? I can see the high school coach teaching a certain technique to all his players to help them.

I've coached for 4 years now and we haven't had any D1 signees but we've had 5 kids go D2 and several more go NAIA. College coaches are actually a huge asset to our staff, everything from ideas on game planning to X's and O's to drills to talent evaluation, and on and on. Coaches develop relationships with coaches, they never know when they will be back your way looking for talent. You never know when you will need a resource that is only a phone call away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back