• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Read This Article About Bill O'Brien Leaving. Anything Sound Familiar?

Status
Not open for further replies.

And O’Brien wasn’t venting at me, just to me.

Of course, that's one BIG difference between O'Brien and Pelini.

That said...Cheese, your Jones for Dirk is well noted.

I'm not sure that and "off the record" conversation ever really becomes ON the record. I'm sure that columnist figures "to hell with it...he's gone now" but I don't think it's all that ethical to repeat what he was told off the record just because the guy decided he was leaving.

What part "sounds familiar" to you?
Not much...Here you are talking about a reporter with integrity and a reporter and a paper that are there to report the news and not to stir the pot and create a story to sell papers. Absolutely nothing like the World Herald

The similarities to Bo's situation are there though.:)

Not much...Here you are talking about a reporter with integrity and a reporter and a paper that are there to report the news and not to stir the pot and create a story to sell papers. Absolutely nothing like the World Herald

The similarities to Bo's situation are there though.:)

The media is the media.. they all do what they need to to sell papers.

The media is the media.. they all do what they need to to sell papers.
Very true but the world herald does it with great zeal. I have been interviewed and quoted by the world herald on several occasions. Funny that they only choose those that create controversy.
I was once interviewed by them about a local situation for 15 minutes. For 15 minutes they tried to get me to say something that would create controversy and since I would not I was never quoted in he story even though I gave lots of good info and positive spin on the story.
you would be surprised how many people I talk to who say their only comment to OWH is no comment. I no longer return their calls.

Last edited:
I'd like to see the rule changed about sitting out a year for ANY recruit that was recruited by coaches that leave while players are still eligible.
Why do coaches get to blow out the door for more money or whatever? They promise these kids... "Don't worry I'm not going anywhere"! It was reported O'Brian was spouting that stuff to recruits while negotiating with Houston. Seems rather low rent and very disingenuous! At least be honest with these kids... don't think that's to much to ask!

If a coach is dismissed then he is powerless to live up to his pledge.... so the player is not released from sitting out a season. If the coach simply leaves on his own for whatever reason then the players recruited by him would be free to transfer without penalty....

I'm sure the way schools and conferences want it all in their favor this will not happen..... but I think it should!

Not that it matters since he is leaving, but it will be interesting how his rant of

You can print that I don’t really give a ---- what the ‘Paterno people’ think about what I do with this program.
plays out compared to Bo's TapeGate.

And just like most leadership positions I think the writer nails the fact that you need the *right* leader at the *right* time - in this case Penn State needed O'Brien....OSU I think went wrong with their hire of Meyer, because they needed someone that is more about discipline off-the-field.

http://www.pennlive.com/sports/index.ssf/2014/01/bill_obrien_the_outsider_arriv.html

I wonder what someone like, say dirk chatelien would've done to twist all that information in a completely different light?
When has Dirk ever twisted anything? If anything he's been easy on the mire of mediocrity. As far as something sounding familiar are you saying that Bo has those same feelings about the whoever he would call "The Paterno People"? Who would be Mark Pelinis Paterno people..... Dirk and the group of fans that are tired of the downhill trajectory of the program? One thing that's not even remotely familiar is that people (coaching vacancies) actually want O'Brien.......even with the massive amounts of coaching positions available Pelinis name won't be uttered

I'd like to see the rule changed about sitting out a year for ANY recruit that was recruited by coaches that leave while players are still eligible.
Why do coaches get to blow out the door for more money or whatever? They promise these kids... "Don't worry I'm not going anywhere"! It was reported O'Brian was spouting that stuff to recruits while negotiating with Houston. Seems rather low rent and very disingenuous! At least be honest with these kids... don't think that's to much to ask!

If a coach is dismissed then he is powerless to live up to his pledge.... so the player is not released from sitting out a season. If the coach simply leaves on his own for whatever reason then the players recruited by him would be free to transfer without penalty....

I'm sure the way schools and conferences want it all in their favor this will not happen..... but I think it should!
Sounds great but unfortunately if you're going to play that card you would have to let the new coach strip schollies from the players he feels need reverse JUCO treatment and they're not going to allow that

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back