• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Rank your list

1. Dave Aranda
  2. Luke Fickell
  3. Mark Stoops
  4. Bill O'Brien
  5. Lance Leipold
  6. Matt Campbell
  7. Dave Clawson
  8. Urban Meyer
i feel like this changes a couple times a week for me

My #1 is Mickey Joseph rallying the team, getting more out of them than he should, showing he can run the program efficiently, and bringing in people that are elite at development. Next few weeks will show whether that's a possibility or not.

If it's not him, I'd be a big fan of Mike Gundy, although I suspect that's a massive long shot.

My #1 is Mickey Joseph rallying the team, getting more out of them than he should, showing he can run the program efficiently, and bringing in people that are elite at development. Next few weeks will show whether that's a possibility or not.

If it's not him, I'd be a big fan of Mike Gundy, although I suspect that's a massive long shot.
Mike Gundy, is a damn good coach. I suspect he is going to be a lifer at OSU.

If I knew Nebraska would get the Ohio State Urban Meyer, I’d take him in a heartbeat. I just think they could get the Jacksonville Urban Meyer. Too risky. Safest pick is Lance Leipold IMO. Unsure on who I’d just love to have? Lots of good coaches out there.

Last edited:
1. Justin Wilcox (head coach Cal)
2. Luke Fickell
3. Mickey Joseph
4. Mark Stoops
5. Jim Leonhard
6. Donte Williams (USC db coach)
7. Matt Rhule
8. Dave Aranda
9. Tom Herman

1. PJ Fleck- I can't believe I typed that because that dude drives me nuts but he has turned Minnesota into the best team in the B1G West and understands what it takes to win in this league and his salary is low enough that Nebraska could offer him a substantial raise
2. Lance Leipold
3. Dave Aranda
4. Mark Stoops
5. Matt Rhule
6. Jim Leonard
7. Kalen DeBoer
8. Kelani Sitake
9. Lane Kiffin
10. Charles Huff

I don't think he has a chance but I would love to see Mickey Joseph finish out this year on a tear and get the full time gig.

2. Luke Fickell
3. Mickey Joseph
4. Mark Stoops
5. Jim Leonhard
7. Matt Rhule
8. Dave Aranda
9. Tom Herman
haven't heard that name in a while - I remember that Gary Sharp at 1620 loves him and talked him up in our last coaching search, but really think his performance at cal has been pretty sad. I'm curious as to why he is at the top of your list

Chris Petersen
Tom Herman
Dave Aranda
Luke Fickell

I won't go any farther as if we need to go to the 4th man on our list then I'm no better off than Steve Pederson or Shawn Eichorst.

Reactions: jtf
1. Dave Clawson (assuming he brings his entire offensive staff and is allowed to spend 1 mill+ on a DC

2. Dave Aranda (but he must bring a superior offensive mind who knows the spread option)

3. Gus Malzahn. I know nobody wants to go back to the UCF well but Gus is a much better coach than folks realize. Auburn is a clown show since he left. Power running with spread option again.

Basically...I firmly believe that the Cam Newton/Nick Marshall version of the Auburn offense would dominate the Big West even in November weather. Nebraska needs a blend of power running and elite athletes on the outside. Wide splits and athletic lineman.

@XCHusker reminded me that Lane Kiffin exists so:

1. Dave Aranda
  2. Luke Fickell
  3. Mark Stoops
  4. Lane Kiffin
  5. Bill O'Brien
  6. Lance Leipold
  7. Matt Campbell
  8. Dave Clawson
  9. Urban Meyer
Lane Kiffin is not married - can you imagine an NU coach trying to go out on a date in Lincoln and have it not melt the message boards / twitterverse?... but he is doing great at Ole Miss, and he seems a little disgruntled. I wonder if he thinks he could dominate the B1G West and he would like that life better

@XCHusker reminded me that Lane Kiffin exists so:

1. Dave Aranda
  2. Luke Fickell
  3. Mark Stoops
  4. Lane Kiffin
  5. Bill O'Brien
  6. Lance Leipold
  7. Matt Campbell
  8. Dave Clawson
  9. Urban Meyer
Lane Kiffin is not married - can you imagine an NU coach trying to go out on a date in Lincoln and have it not melt the message boards / twitterverse?... but he is doing great at Ole Miss, and he seems a little disgruntled. I wonder if he thinks he could dominate the B1G West and he would like that life better
Didn't realize he had gotten divorced. Remembered that he was married when he was at Tennessee. Certainly would be a spectacle to see coach out dating around town. Not much privacy there.

2. Luke Fickell
3. Mickey Joseph
4. Mark Stoops
5. Jim Leonhard
7. Matt Rhule
8. Dave Aranda
9. Tom Herman
haven't heard that name in a while - I remember that Gary Sharp at 1620 loves him and talked him up in our last coaching search, but really think his performance at cal has been pretty sad. I'm curious as to why he is at the top of your list
I remember Wilcox in his one year as DC at Wisconsin ... but the remainder of his collegiate coaching career is strictly West Coast (Boise State, Cal, Washington, USC). He's 29-29 at Cal ... not an easy place to win.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back