• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

QB William "Pop" Watson Flips To VA Tech

I would think it is doubtful. I think the new coach brings someone with him or hits the portal for a QB or two.

12345-one-two-three-four-five.gif

Chances are very good that Whipple won't be coaching at Nebraska next year. Is Watson really solid to Nebraska regardless of whether or not Whipple is here?

He took a visit to Virginia Tech a couple weeks ago. Then when Nebraska went to visit him during a bye week, it wasn't even Whipple who did it.

I never liked his hire, and I've been consistent with that. I never understood getting a coach that has one leg in retirement. Especially one with a system that isn't ideal for the conference (IMPO).

He's a terrible recruiter. He got to Nebraska and zeroed in on a guy he's been recruiting for a while, all while neglecting an instate kid who is arguably just as talented. Also practically ignoring another instate kid in the '24 class that Nebraska had already offered. Not to mention bypassing more talented '23 options in the region like JJ Kohl and Avery Johnson. Why? Even if it had worked out for Frost, he wouldn't have been here more than a couple years. You have to let your OC bring his guys in, I get that and can't fault Frost for allowing his QB preferences, but knowing he was a short term guy, it never made sense. Seeing how he basically stopped recruiting anyone after Watson committed was ridiculous too.

He'll be gone no matter who the coach is next year. Guaranteed.

He took a visit to Virginia Tech a couple weeks ago. Then when Nebraska went to visit him during a bye week, it wasn't even Whipple who did it.

I never liked his hire, and I've been consistent with that. I never understood getting a coach that has one leg in retirement. Especially one with a system that isn't ideal for the conference (IMPO).

He's a terrible recruiter. He got to Nebraska and zeroed in on a guy he's been recruiting for a while, all while neglecting an instate kid who is arguably just as talented. Also practically ignoring another instate kid in the '24 class that Nebraska had already offered. Not to mention bypassing more talented '23 options in the region like JJ Kohl and Avery Johnson. Why? Even if it had worked out for Frost, he wouldn't have been here more than a couple years. You have to let your OC bring his guys in, I get that and can't fault Frost for allowing his QB preferences, but knowing he was a short term guy, it never made sense. Seeing how he basically stopped recruiting anyone after Watson committed was ridiculous too.

Is it really that big of a loss? Watson I mean.

Is it really that big of a loss? Watson I mean.

Nope. New coach can go get his own guy. There’s this kid 50 miles Northeast of Memorial who might be a good get.
I honestly don't like this line of thinking, and I'll admit I know nothing of this kid or any other kid. But rankings of HS kids has proven to be very hit or miss. I think we all know that for the most part, there is zero guarantee that QB -A will be better v QB - B no matter who recruited them. Tom Brady is a good example of how a QB "comes out of nowhere" to be the GOAT. I just hope we actually do land that "Splash" hire and it turns into a great BIG RED WAVE.

I hope he is not reading this thread

Kids read this stuff and you need to think about that before you post

RR
I didn’t call the kid a bad name, or speak against his character. I feel like we should be able to ask those types of questions on here. He’s not a high ranking quarterback, hence the reason for the question. Honestly, I feel like we are a little long in the tooth for pleasantries. If it’s not a high ranking athlete (QB most of all), and there’s a chance he may not contribute to NE’s needed success in the near future, then I feel that’s fair discussion. TBH I’ve seen a lot worse said about kids on here, and on those occasions I’ve actually called it out too. Maybe I’m wrong, just don’t feel like I was wrong here.

I didn’t call the kid a bad name, or speak against his character. I feel like we should be able to ask those types of questions on here. He’s not a high ranking quarterback, hence the reason for the question. Honestly, I feel like we are a little long in the tooth for pleasantries. If it’s not a high ranking athlete (QB most of all), and there’s a chance he may not contribute to NE’s needed success in the near future, then I feel that’s fair discussion. TBH I’ve seen a lot worse said about kids on here, and on those occasions I’ve actually called it out too. Maybe I’m wrong, just don’t feel like I was wrong here.
Your entitled to your opinion

No one said you were wrong

The bold is also your opinion because not one of us knows how this young man will fair

Ameer Abdullah was a 3 star who could not get a sniff from either in-state school until just before NSD and he turned out okat on the other hand we have had numerous former four star playes transfer out of NU and most have ended up at FCS school and even a few are out of footbal. So I do not agree with you on that either.

I simply pointed out why you need to think about what you post about a recruit in a commitment thread

I stand by that

Your entitled to your opinion

No one said you were wrong

The bold is also your opinion because not one of us knows how this young man will fair

Ameer Abdullah was a 3 star who could not get a sniff from either in-state school until just before NSD and he turned out okat on the other hand we have had numerous former four star playes transfer out of NU and most have ended up at FCS school and even a few are out of footbal. So I do not agree with you on that either.

I simply pointed out why you need to think about what you post about a recruit in a commitment thread

I stand by that
1667188389026.gif

The names that were coming out as candidates were far from an ideal fit for a potential run-first, zone-read style... Whipple, Harrell, and Zak Hill are all very much pass focused. Ruggiero would've been nice but why come here when Frost is on the ropes? Whipple at least could do this as one final pay day especially considering he's not even having to go on the road for recruiting. Pretty ugly scene considering the circumstances last year.

I honestly don't like this line of thinking, and I'll admit I know nothing of this kid or any other kid. But rankings of HS kids has proven to be very hit or miss. I think we all know that for the most part, there is zero guarantee that QB -A will be better v QB - B no matter who recruited them. Tom Brady is a good example of how a QB "comes out of nowhere" to be the GOAT. I just hope we actually do land that "Splash" hire and it turns into a great BIG RED WAVE.
I agree 100% with bold but just to stir the pot and be a pain in the ass for a moment, Tom was a very, very good QB in college so why he wasn't drafted till the 7th road is baffling. I get your point and I agree but Tom was always a great QB, it was the pros that screwed that one up. He had proven in High School and College that he was good so I don't know if he really came out of no where.

Because he ran a 7.4 40 and had super large man breasts. There were questions as to how a B1G QB could look the way he did. The Drew Henson saga also played poorly for TB. NFL scouts were spooked.

But your point is well taken
Beat me to it. The vunderkind Drew Henson. He got hurt once,they put Brady in and immediately I hated the Henson hype

If you have Roku find the Western Mass News app, they have highlights from this week's quarterfinal game of Springfield Central beating up Matt Hasselback's son's team with Pop having another great game. Also in last week's Friday Night Frenzy they have more highlights from their first round playoff game. Pop is something special!

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back