• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Purdy's Interception

With all the youth on the field, I'd venture to guess that was the case.
which is why many are arguing it either shouldn't have been a pass play, or it shouldn't have been that pass play.... too much youth and inexperience at a critical juncture in the game.

Ok, so I know NU had a raw QB in the game, but there was still over 3 minutes to go, don’t you want, and have to try for 7 there? I don’t so much mind a pass call, but maybe the play itself wasn’t the right selection. Maybe something much much safer? I didn’t even see much of the game, but everyone seems to be butt hurt over the int. Kicking a FG there doesn’t assure you a win there.
I think you have to try for 7. I’m not sure you have to pass it to try for 7, and your QB should be schooled to throw it into the stands if no one is open.

I think you have to try for 7. I’m not sure you have to pass it to try for 7, and your QB should be schooled to throw it into the stands if no one is open.
that is the smart thing to do, either the QB's aren't that smart or the OC isn't that smart

which is why many are arguing it either shouldn't have been a pass play, or it shouldn't have been that pass play.... too much youth and inexperience at a critical juncture in the game.
Trust me, I didn't agree with the call (or Satt's hiring) but we have youth EVERYWHERE. Thing is, if Satt ran the ball every play, there would still be cat-calls for his head removal for having "no imagination" or continuity between play calls. Not every play he calls is bad, nor is every play a good one and he has a ton to prove to HCMR and Trev. Again, I'm not a fan of his. But at some point, fans have to expect players to execute at a certain level, and with so much youth on offense, it's more complicated than it appears in terms of who is at fault on a play-by-play basis.

Last edited:

That was the perfect situation to call a play action bootleg. Fake an inside zone to the left, roll out to the right with either a FB or TE sprinting towards the cone. 70% of the time it works every time. Especially with a young inexperianced QB. And to think..... I dont even make 100k a year let alone A MILLION!
Sound a bit like the play that didn’t win us the National Championship in ‘84.

I pulled down the in game odds and we were only at 49% when we got it goal to go. It seems like that should have been much higher where a FG from 5 yards put would be almost automatic and a drive to tie the game much below 50%.

Has our scoring in the red zone gotten so bad that the odds are 50/50 we will turn it over before kicking a FG?

I didn't love Rhule's answer to the turnovers and play calling during today's presser (Monday). Starting to see why it keeps happening.

Remind me, what happened in the 2 previous plays? What happened on the 4th down run by Sims earlier? Do you remember?
Run the ball and kick the fg 100% of the time and you likely win or go to OT. The chance of a turnover on a running play is significantly less than on a passing play.

I pulled down the in game odds and we were only at 49% when we got it goal to go. It seems like that should have been much higher where a FG from 5 yards put would be almost automatic and a drive to tie the game much below 50%.

Has our scoring in the red zone gotten so bad that the odds are 50/50 we will turn it over before kicking a FG?
I think that's a weird anomaly. ESPN's Win Probability had Nebraska at 70% on 2nd down from the five. [NOTE: Clock on the table is based on start time of the drive]

NU MD Win Probability.jpg

I think Coleman was designed to take his route towards the center of the endzone, away from Kemps route to the near corner. Unfortunately Coleman got jammed at the line and his delayed route ended up taking coverage right into the throwing lane. The idea behind the play isn't bad. If Coleman gets to his route quickly enough, his defender could pick Kemp's or Coleman could draw some attention away, opening the front corner for Kemp. Coleman is a strong guy, but it was probably too big an ask for a true freshman.
The trouble with the whole play was Purdy stared down the route even before the ball is snapped.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back