• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Purdy's Interception

Coleman got jammed at the line of scrimmage by his defender. Purdy threw the ball to where he would have been had he not been jammed and got off on a clean route. You Tube has the highlights and you can rewatch the play ad nauseum.

It's hard to firmly diagnose why the O is such a disaster. Rhule won't say what he really thinks either now or probably ever. We'll just have to infer what he is thinking from his actions at the end of the season.

I believe he must understand in the era of the portal if there is a player performance problem it is POSSIBLE and therefore REQUIRED to bring in transfers to address at least 60% of it quickly. And that therefore if the problem isn't only with players but instead with an assistant coach or coaches, that also has to be addressed quickly.

If the O is this dysfunctional next year whatever has been gained on the D side - players and coaches - will start draining away at the end of that season.

He really mostly has to fix this with decisions he makes this December. If he doesn't make major progress, his ability to recruit in talented players and coaches is going to go away quickly.

The portal makes everything happen faster

Last edited:

Not interested in debating run versus pass. That is covered ad nauseum in "Awful Play Calling."

I am interested in QB performance. Another topic always on here but no often with Purdy other than "put him in."

I don't think the interception is on Purdy. Wondered if others saw the same.

Regarding QB performance, take into account that ALL of our offensive TOs were from the QB position. Looking at the season, I’m guessing that the majority of our offensive TOs are from the QB position.

Against the Terps we saw similarities in all the INTs thrown seemingly to no one except a defender. Perhaps a miscommunication or wrong/poor route run. Others thrown into coverage… a bad decision and/or act of desperation perhaps. Nonetheless…

It’s no coincidence that OCMS coaches the QBs and calls the offensive plays… arguably the two areas of most concern. This is where I’d begin with the QB performance.

The performance on the field is either permitted, coached… or due to the absence of quality coaching/development.

Last edited:
It's hard to firmly diagnose why the O is such a disaster. Rhule won't say what he really thinks either now or probably ever. We'll just have to infer what he is thinking from his actions at the end of the season.

I believe he must understand in the era of the portal if there is a player performance problem it is POSSIBLE and therefore REQUIRED to bring in transfers to address at least 60% of it quickly. And that therefore if the problem isn't only with players but instead with an assistant coach or coaches, that also has to be addressed quickly.

If the O is this dysfunctional next year whatever has been gained on the D side - players and coaches - will start draining away at the end of that season.

He really mostly has to fix this with decisions he makes this December. If he doesn't make major progress, his ability to recruit in talented players and coaches is going to go away quickly.

Totally agree here.

And another one of these decisions most certainly must relate to the performance/results of OCMS.

While the portal can definitely provide some quality players, if we don’t have an elite staff (especially at OC and QB coach) that knows how to utilize and develop that talent, it’s going to result in ongoing subpar results on the field.

Talent can/will hide coaching deficiency for a while, but it won’t totally neutralize it.

Last edited:
Horrific play call. Makes me nervous about future under Rhule.

He says we are a Defensive team, then calls that garbage. Too many head scratching series.

Run the ball and eliminate the chance. Horrible coaching
Ok, so I know NU had a raw QB in the game, but there was still over 3 minutes to go, don’t you want, and have to try for 7 there? I don’t so much mind a pass call, but maybe the play itself wasn’t the right selection. Maybe something much much safer? I didn’t even see much of the game, but everyone seems to be butt hurt over the int. Kicking a FG there doesn’t assure you a win there.

Ok, so I know NU had a raw QB in the game, but there was still over 3 minutes to go, don’t you want, and have to try for 7 there? I don’t so much mind a pass call, but maybe the play itself wasn’t the right selection. Maybe something much much safer? I didn’t even see much of the game, but everyone seems to be butt hurt over the int. Kicking a FG there doesn’t assure you a win there.
Of course it doesn't "assure" you of a win, but a field goal would have put the Huskers in a formidable position to win the game. Momentum would have been ours. Crowd would have been going crazy. Defense would have their ears pinned back. I would guess that a FG would have given us at least a 75% chance of winning the game.

Rhule says he is going for the win. He, and obviously some others, needs to learn that in extremely low scoring games a field goal is usually enough to win the game. This season has perfect examples of that premise.

Of course it doesn't "assure" you of a win, but a field goal would have put the Huskers in a formidable position to win the game. Momentum would have been ours. Crowd would have been going crazy. Defense would have their ears pinned back. I would guess that a FG would have given us at least a 75% chance of winning the game.

Rhule says he is going for the win. He, and obviously some others, needs to learn that in extremely low scoring games a field goal is usually enough to win the game. This season has perfect examples of that premise.
I don’t know, but I get it. I’m going for the win as well. You don’t plan an int, Chubba can’t throw that. Live another day. I’m absolutely going for 7, but the play selection from first down on would have been different. How many times have you seen NU get beat late because it didn’t score a TD? Too many to count. They were playing to win it, can’t fault them for that. Like we saw, there were over 3 minutes left. What happened after that? Right down the field they went. Btw, I’m not saying the int was the right call, I didn’t see it, but I don’t have issue with a pass right there either.

Watching it later, it is hard to tell but was Coleman the intended receiver? Last look I saw, it looked like he let it pass as if he thought it was for someone else. Not sure if it was the throw, but if Coleman caught it, he could have walked in for a touchdown.
I think either Kemp or Coleman were in the wrong spot my bet is on Coleman. In either case eliminate Kemp or Coleman (and their respective defender) and it is a piss poor throw because it wasn’t in the vicinity of either receiver.

75% of the mistake is on Satterfield for even calling such a play but Purdy HAS TO be smart enough after 4 years of college football to know that you don’t throw that pass up for grabs. If the WR is open .. throw it, if in doubt put it into the third row. Any pee wee football player knows that.

Last edited:

The portal is definitely a resource but it's not a panacea. I view as buying a used car: you're buying someone else's problem. If you don't do your homework, you may get a car that gets you where you need to go but you'll probably have to pump more money into it before it's trustworthy or you might get a complete lemon.

We've had recent success but somebody listened to a slick salesman re: Sims. It still boggles my mind we don't have a D1 level QB in the room. IMO, that's the biggest reason for our current ineptitude.

I don’t know, but I get it. I’m going for the win as well. You don’t plan an int, Chubba can’t throw that. Live another day. I’m absolutely going for 7, but the play selection from first down on would have been different. How many times have you seen NU get beat late because it didn’t score a TD? Too many to count. They were playing to win it, can’t fault them for that. Like we saw, there were over 3 minutes left. What happened after that? Right down the field they went. Btw, I’m not saying the int was the right call, I didn’t see it, but I don’t have issue with a pass right there either.
Personally if I was calling the play it would have been a run, kick the field goal, and continue to play good defense.

But that being said, the call was for a pass to the deep corner where your guy jumps to get it or it goes out the back of the end zone. The pass was intercepted by a guy a couple yards into the end zone and he didn't have to jump. Clearly that pass did not go anywhere near where it was suppose to go.

I'll say this, to be fair. If that fake punt had tanked, we'd be screaming about that too. Sometimes you make an unexpected call. Not defending that last play call, but if it had worked, we'd be celebrating.

For what it's worth, even my wife, who is a hearty fan but not a guru, thought we should have run the ball and kicked a field goal.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back