• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked PSU wants to open 2014 season in Ireland

Status
Not open for further replies.

O'Brien will do whatever he can to keep his team competitive throughout the sanctions. This is a smart move by PSU.

Definitely ... extremely smart move.

Ya, smart move. It kind of softens the no-bowl sanction, for players and fans. Wonder if they have to get NCAA approval??

It's definitely a smart move by O'Brien and whoever else is involved in it. However, does anyone else think it just doesn't feel right to allow it? It doesn't seem to technically violate any of the restrictions placed on PSU, but doesn't it seem to violate the spirit of those sanctions?

I dunno... just feels weird to me.

It's definitely a smart move by O'Brien and whoever else is involved in it. However, does anyone else think it just doesn't feel right to allow it? It doesn't seem to technically violate any of the restrictions placed on PSU, but doesn't it seem to violate the spirit of those sanctions?

I agree, give them the death penalty and be done with them

Yeah, a bit strange ... but you can only blame the NCAA for not covering such an exclusion with their 10,001 page manual. Regardless, O'Brien and his players definitely have nothing to do with the scandal and are already dealing with the harshest sanctions the NCAA has handed out in a long time.

Yeah, a bit strange ... but you can only blame the NCAA for not covering such an exclusion with their 10,001 page manual. Regardless, O'Brien and his players definitely have nothing to do with the scandal and are already dealing with the harshest sanctions the NCAA has handed out in a long time.
IRA

I guess it's a smart move, but lets not act like this guy is a genius for thinking of this. I don't understand why Ireland would be an ideal choice. If you're going to fly that far, why not go to Hawaii and not worry about an logisitcal complications that go with traveling to another country. I could really care less, but why Ireland?

It is a way around the bowl ban and is designed to help recruiting.

It can't hurt recruiting, but I have a very hard time thinking a kid is going to choose PSU over Michigan because of the possibility to play a game like the one they are proposing. You're still playing for a team facing significant penalties, and you'll never win a championship, let alone have the opportunity to win a championship. If getting to play in neat locations was a big recruiting advantage, then teams in Hawaii's conference should have been cleaning up, because you get to play in Hawaii twice in your career, on top of potential bowl game destinations.

I'll say this, it's a nice gesture by O'Brien and those at PSU in the football program for those who remain committed to play football there, but IMO that's about it.

It can't hurt recruiting, but I have a very hard time thinking a kid is going to choose PSU over Michigan because of the possibility to play a game like the one they are proposing. You're still playing for a team facing significant penalties, and you'll never win a championship, let alone have the opportunity to win a championship. If getting to play in neat locations was a big recruiting advantage, then teams in Hawaii's conference should have been cleaning up, because you get to play in Hawaii twice in your career, on top of potential bowl game destinations.

I'll say this, it's a nice gesture by O'Brien and those at PSU in the football program for those who remain committed to play football there, but IMO that's about it.

It's still a "trip" that they can tout...just like any other bowl game. Certainly other programs are using the lack of a "reward" game against them. This is a semi-effective counter IMO. Better than having no response at all.

And as for championships. Top rated players choose programs like Kentucky, Mississipi, Purdue, etc. with some regularity knowing they'll never wear a ring.

It's still a "trip" that they can tout...just like any other bowl game. Certainly other programs are using the lack of a "reward" game against them. This is a semi-effective counter IMO. Better than having no response at all.

And as for championships. Top rated players choose programs like Kentucky, Mississipi, Purdue, etc. with some regularity knowing they'll never wear a ring.
But they are wearing something else for their choice?

Just think of the logistics for obtaining the paperwork for all of the passports for the coaches, athletes and support staff. For two teams no less!
I wonder how many won't qualify for a passport due to circumstances.

Will the game winner take home the "Irish Red Trophy" with the "Guinness Game Ball" going to the player of the game?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back